Parenting an 17/18yo Question

maciec

AHHHH....Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?
Scenario:

dd is 17yo and lives with my mom for the school district and is in high school (technically although is not going to HS she is going to college under the dual enrollment program).

she just called me and asked me if she could spend the night at her boyfriends house tonight because they are going to be out late.

DH says absolutely not. I don't disagree. Our debate is when she turns 18 I believe that we don't have control over whether or not she spends the night at his house. DH says that at 18 we can still tell her no.

So my question is ..... at 18yo would you allow your daughter or son spend the night at their significant others house?

Not unless they are independent and living on their own.
So what if they are 20 or 22 living at home when they come home from college? Just trying to figure out what age and when do we have no say.

Wow....that's a tough one. I feel for you. My kids are 14, 11, 11 so I'm not quite there yet. I can really see both sides of this coin.

My inclination is that right now I'd say no, absolutely not (and hope she doesn't do it anyway). As starry_solo said, when they're 18, you really don't have a say legally...except that if it's your own home and she's living there (whether she's 18, 20 or 30 years old) you do have the right to say "You can't have guests sleep over in my house". So in summary, I'd say no right now, but start having those conversations about what happens when she turns 18.

I did forget to add that they would not be sleeping in the same bed/room and parents are home also. My parents let my boyfriend stay the night every once in a while while I was in high school. My bedroom was downstairs in the basement and he stayed in the guest room upstairs. I just struggle with this scenario with my daughter because it wasn't something that was an issue with my parents when I was growing up. Just as long as we weren't sleeping in the same bed they didn't have an issue with it. Heck I was living with my boyfriend in my early 20's and when we would go home to my parents house to visit I refused to sleep in the same room with him when we were there. It was so disrespectful. I think that it took for us getting engaged to finally ask them if it was ok.

Technically since she lives with your mother, I would think it would be your mother’s rules she has to abide by.

Once she turns 18, you can make you wishes known and can refuse to support her if she goes against your wishes but you legally have no say.

I'm going to lean the other way with this new information. Separate rooms, fine. Parents home, fine. Alone in boyfriend's own place, NOT OK. Your daughter respected you enough to ask permission rather that just staying at the boyfriends place. Are his parents home? Does he have his own place? These different variables would change my answer. She very easily could have stayed boyfriends house and told you she was stay at let's say "Jane's" house instead. But she didn't, she asked first. She will be legally an adult in a few months and needs guidance through the transition from being a dependent child to a independent adult. I thinks it's best to arm her with the greatest amount of factual knowledge and gradual experience as possible.

She will be legally an adult in a few months and needs guidance through the transition from being a dependent child to a independent adult. I thinks it's best to arm her with the greatest amount of factual knowledge and gradual experience as possible.

I agree! Of course, your family beliefs/values matter here, but if you generally think it's ok for a young woman to spend the night with her boyfriend's family, I'd say the time to start working on what that looks like and how it's done maturely, safely, respectfully, etc. is now, while she's clearly invested in your advice or permission. If you feel that staying over would always be a bad choice (or until engaged, etc), it's probably worth talking that through, too. Tough situation--I'm sure you'll figure it out a-ok in the end :)

(signed: someone who made some impressively stupid decisions about this kind of thing trying to figure it out alone).

Yea parents home and separate rooms. I swear I just want to crawl in a hole sometimes being a parent. I want Dr. Phil to come and raise my kids because I am constantly second guessing everything I do at this stage in her life. These are such important years too! Although next year when she actually goes away to college she's going to have to make the "right" decisions without us. Well at least try to make the right decisions

(signed: someone who made some impressively stupid decisions about this kind of thing trying to figure it out alone).
HAHAHA!!!! This is so me!!

I sort of had the opposite issue my last year at home. I also "skipped" my senior year to go to college but hadn't actually graduated yet, but I was 16/17 that year because of where my birthday fell. My dad and step-mom told me if I was ever going to be out late (and it was nearly always for work), that I needed to find some place to stay. They used the rationale that they didn't want me out driving late. My state also had a driving curfew if you were under 18, except if you were working. It made it difficult a couple of times though when I didn't have somewhere to stay after working late.

How late is she going to be out? Does she have concerns with night vision or safety with driving so late or the area she would have to drive through to come home? Does your state have a driving curfew for teens under 18? Have you met her boyfriend's parents? How old is her boyfriend, by the way?

Personally, I think teens aren't going to wait for the opportunity to sleep over to do things if that's what they really want to do, so I wouldn't necessarily let that aspect be a huge influence on my decision. I think a lot really depends on the maturity and responsibility of the kids and what their reasons are for wanting to sleep over somewhere. I do agree with a PP that if she is living with your mom, that the decision should probably be more of hers to make.

Although there are many 18 year olds who do not act like adults, they are adults and can make their own decisions. If she is still living at home/ with your mom, then it is totally reasonable to set whatever rules you/ your mom wishes while she is living there. Understand though that she is also free to move out if she doesn't want to abide by those wishes.

From personal experience, going to college early is a great opportunity for teens to experience more personal responsibility while still having the guidance and support of living at home. It can be a little tough when presumably all the friends she will make at college will be older than her and many of them will be on their own and not having to follow parental rules. Every kid matures in different ways and handles the pressures of college differently. I would have a discussion with her about what the expectations are of her while she is going to college and living with your mom. Are you paying for the dual enrollment credits or are they paid for by the school? If getting her diploma is contingent on passing certain college classes/ maintaining a particular GPA, make sure she fully understands all of that as well and knows that she has to take the initiative to make it to her classes on time and get her work done and ask for help if she needs it because the college isn't going to be reminding her in the same way teachers do in high school. Sorry, I know a lot of this isn't exactly what you were asking about, but my point is that she's basically doing something a year ahead of her peers. I'd focus more on making sure she's prepared for everything to come and knows you are all behind her. Keep the lines of communication open, talk to her about any concerns and expectations that you have, and give her a little freedom to make her own choices. She's obviously smart if she is going to college early, and from personal experience, when a parent shows trust in you, that alone is a huge motivator to make good decisions.

I'm going to lean the other way with this new information. Separate rooms, fine. Parents home, fine. Alone in boyfriend's own place, NOT OK. Your daughter respected you enough to ask permission rather that just staying at the boyfriends place. Are his parents home? Does he have his own place? These different variables would change my answer. She very easily could have stayed boyfriends house and told you she was stay at let's say "Jane's" house instead. But she didn't, she asked first. She will be legally an adult in a few months and needs guidance through the transition from being a dependent child to a independent adult. I thinks it's best to arm her with the greatest amount of factual knowledge and gradual experience as possible.

Yeah, I think I'm with you on that. If it's at the parents home and it's clear there are separate rooms I might be more inclined to say OK. There's always the possibility of sneaking into each others' room in the middle of the night, but you have to have trust in your child to make smart decisions. I agree with the post above, she theoretically could have said she was staying at a "friends" or simply not even asked. But she did, which I would take as a positive. So OK, I think my mind is changed, I'd be OK with it given the scenario.

Parenting is NEVER easy. There's no handbook, no manual, no black and white instructions. All I can do is have my childs' best interest at heart and trust my parental instincts....or just do whatever DW tells me too... :D

Dd17 stayed at her boyfriend’s house after his prom, my request. He lives a half hour away, and there was an after party until 1 am. I didn’t want her driving, or us driving. His parents are super strict Irish Catholics, I offered to have her boyfriend sleep here after her formal, they picked him up after the after party!

I’ve also let ds20’s girlfriend sleep here twice, she lives 20 minutes away, after local parties. The did end up sleeping in the same bed both times, it it was more of a misunderstanding (that won’t be happening again...). They are away at college together during the school year.

At 18 she is an adult and can do whatever she pleases.

If you don't like it then you could always tell her that she's an adult so she has to get a job and pay for herself so you are no longer financially responsible for her but you cannot say "no you can't do this that or the other".

And heck if at 17 she is actually asking your permission and not just saying I'm gonna spend the night at my friend "Heather's" house well then I'd say you have a pretty good kid and you should just let her spend the night.

If you're that worried about her having sex then give this a thought.. if they wanted to have sex then they probably already have.

First of all, I just want to say that parenting a young adult is really difficult. I have a 19 DD and 23 DS so I am speaking from my personal experience; it's tough and I think I have awesome kids! With that being said, you have to lay the rules now because as she gets a little older then you have the foundation rules laid down. As time goes own you can gradually change the rules. Believe me, they do not become magically mature on their 18th birthday!

At my house, the opposite sex is allowed to stay over but not in the same room. And this has only become a thing since they are out of High School with the exception of prom night and we had a house full of kids because we hosted the after party.

My son was dating a young lady that lived in another state and she would come stay with us for several days at a time. She slept in his room and he slept in the playroom, on a sofa. Its just a respect thing, IMHO. And I agree with the @Queen of the WDW Scene...if they want to have sex they will.

Follow your core beliefs and the proper answer will follow.

During my childrens' teen and young twenty years various girlfriends spent the night at my house but never shared a bedroom. And I know there was no "bedroom sneaking" since I slept in the living room which was in the middle of the sleeping rooms:).

My oldest son returned to my home (Yes. It's mine, I pay for it, and get to make the rules too) for a brief time after his Amityville Horror house expiration date was up and insisted that his then-girlfriend be able to spend the night in his room. I simplified my life by telling him to ask his grandmother her opinion. She told him to go scratch; I only asked if he was stoopid or his head hurt.

The biggest recommendation I have is to TALK TO YOUR KIDS. If you are uncomfortable with this, talk. If you aren't certain, talk. This is a time to start building relationships/continue to reinforce them. I teach high school, and the biggest complaint I hear is "My parents don't even listen to me." The vast majority of teens really do want to talk to you. They understand they might not agree with your choice but they want to know that their voices were heard. Listen to them, and no matter what your choice is, explain it to them and talk about it. Your child is willing to talk to you and ask you. That's important, that's really good. As others have said, at some point, and that might be soon, they will be on their own. Take this time to explain your family values and explain why you believe those are the best choices. And then honestly listen to your kid.

Best of luck to all of you!

I just received an parenting email that made me think of your situation, and I thought it may be of some help. Many of these have been mentioned by previous posters. (Even though this is from a Christian organization, there is no reference to religious beliefs.)

Although you may be able to "control" young children, the key word for teenagers is "influence." Here are five words that describe different ways you can influence teens.

1. Teach - provide them with new information or help them understand another facet of life.

2. Encourage - remind them of the benefits of moving in the right direction.

3. Entreat - earnestly ask them to act in a mature, responsible, and wise way.

4. Admonish - warn, caution, or advise them by anticipating possible negative consequences.

5. Persuade - use relationship, incentives, and consequences to motivate them to make wise choices.

Remember that you don't have to accomplish everything in one interaction. Change takes time and your influence over time will produce the greatest results.
(C) 2018 National Center for Biblical Parenting

Hi :wave2:
I'm currently 21 and I completely understand where both sides are coming from. When I go away to college my parents can't stop me because they're not there and I'm living "independently." When I'm at home, they are strict and would never allow me to sleep with a man let alone be alone in a room with him. Looking back the past 2 years I really didn't feel like I was missing out on anything and even now I don't. By the time I'm out of the house I will be responsible/mature enough to engage myself in a serious relationship with a man and know I won't regret any decisions. With that said, I have slept (literally just sleeping) in a room with my previous boyfriends. However, the big catch is that parents were always around. Will her boyfriend's parents be present? Will they sleep in the same room? I asked my parents to let me sleep at my high school's boyfriend's house because we were coming back late from his prom. Both of our parents discussed it and sleeping arrangements were made for me in a separate part of their home. It worked out fine. Either way, it is YOUR decision so long as your daughter remains a dependent. I would just consider compromising by having both sets of parents on board and ensuring they sleep in separate rooms. I hope this helps and feel free to PM me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter