Parents and oblivious toddlers

SomehowSomeway

Smart idiot
Short rant here.

For the record, I don't hate kids.

It's a given that The World is going to be busy regardless of what time of year you go. With that said, am I the only one that finds it rude for parents to allow their young children to walk around wherever they wish without keeping an eye on them and allowing them to just stand idly in front of guests? Has anybody other than myself had an experience(s) such as this?

This seems to be a problem in public in general, and it is extremely annoying.

I have noticed this a lot, and frankly, it scares me. In the world we live in today, you really need to keep a close watch on your kids, especially in a crowded place like Disney. It's not the kids job to keep their eye on you - you're the parent. And when it all goes wrong, and your child is missing, hurt, or abused, it will be your fault. Disney may be a family friendly place, but not every family there is friendly, and not every visitor has the best intentions.

Some people hate to see those harness/leash things on toddlers, but I think they are a great compromise between giving a child the freedom of movement they are craving, and still being in constant contact with your child.

Not to mention how many small kids you see hurt cos they have wandered in front of someone and been knocked over/booted/flattened

"rude" doens't begin to describe it. It's terrifying. Disney has no way of ensuring that everyone who buys a ticket is there to enjoy Disney... I can see that some predators might find it the perfect place to find prey. There, more than most other places in the world, we've got to watch our kids.

That said, it isn't easy. Next year we're going down: 2 adults and 3 kids. Anytime you're outnumbered, it's tricky (and moreso when your spouse goes to the bathroom... the odds are really tough then.)

Not to mention how many small kids you see hurt cos they have wandered in front of someone and been knocked over/booted/flattened

I agree, it's my biggest fear that I'll trip over a little one. I think the toddlers are adorable, and I enjoy watching them walk around and seeing the expressions on their faces, but walking down Main Street or the other entrances, when everyone is looking UP, parents really need to keep an eye on them. Or, if they want the kids to stretch their legs, take them aside and find a spot out of the way and let them toddle around.......

Well, it's not just toddlers that do this. Children at any age are prone to wander and not be aware of their surroundings. But, yes, it does aggravate me when parents do not properly supervise and allow this to happen. I mean, I sometimes trip over my own kids, I don't want others to be tripping over them too.

Recently, I was in a very crowded children's clothing store with my family. I was browsing the racks and noticed a little girl, probably about 18 months old, wandering around. She was running in front of people, blocking aisles and racks and basically running amuck (I love that word, so glad I got to use it in a sentence today. :lmao: )

I finally figured out which customer was her mom and noticed that mom didn't mind her daugther's behavior. As we continued to shop, I was watching her daughter more than she was. My biggest concern for her was that the store had propped open their doors so they were wide open. I was afraid she would leave the store and be long gone before mom ever noticed.

I do try to keep a close eye on my one toddler. And so far we have been able to keep him by our sides, but I'll soon have two toddlers and I hope I can watch both as closely as the one. I don't know what I'll do when they outgrow the stroller someday. :scared1:

Its funny, but if I had a dollar for every time I got hit by a scooter or stroller, I could have paid for dinner. I can't imagine how often a little one gets hit. My grandmother comes with us almost every year with her own scooter says the same thing. But we're not just talking about toddlers right? I'm talking about middle schoolers, 10-11-12 yrs old doing the same thing with no parents in sight. They are clueless about standing right in the middle of a walkway or isle just talking blissfully unaware of their surroundings...did I mention too many adults are just as guilty. Now you got me started...I think I just accused everyone! :lmao:

I think the older kids bother me more than the toddlers because they should know better. ( And yes, I love kids too & have 3 of my own. ) But what really gets to me when you are somewhere like WDW is the older kids that run from ride to ride. I mean, I know they are excited to be there, but I am always afraid that an older person is going to get knocked over by them.

One day last month I was covering the I-Greeter position at Typhoon Lagoon for about a half hour. (This is a person at an area outside of Singapore Sal's who is the coordinator/caretaker for misplaced children.) I was there at about 4:00 (covering while the regular person was on break) and there had been 31 misplaced children so far that day.

I was lucky in that the only lost people I had come to me were a couple of mid-teen girls who had gotten separated from their family, and I had to ask them if they really wanted it announced to all the lifeguards and staff at TL that they were missing their parents, and the other was a woman who had misplaced her 17yo daughter and daughter's friend who decided that the kids would be embarrassed beyond belief (and give serious thought to killing her) if they were announced as lost children.

On just about every trip, I find myself watching and worrying about someone else's kid, who's about to do something dangerous. I'm watching them because their oblivious parents aren't.

Heck, my brain shuts down at Disney, too, so I understand that it's easy for parents to get distracted. And I wonder if some parents think, "It's Disney, it's safe, my kids can't get hurt here", and don't have their normal level of vigilance?

I've seen:

1) Toddler who'd crawled under the ropes at the WL boat dock, about to jump into the water right in the path of the incoming MK boat. Parents had their backs to him, and were chatting with another couple.

2) 5 or 6 year old kid, on the MK train, had his entire upper body out of the train, leaning out to see what was coming. Father was reading a park map and ignoring the announcements to a) put kids on the inside, and b) keep all body parts inside the train.

3) On two separate occasions: kids with their arms outside the boat railing as we approached a dock. Parents were chatting and oblivious. Remember the reports of some kid who got his foot crushed on a boat at Disneyland? I'm sure this is how it happened. On one of these occasions, we got so close to the dock, that I had my hand out, ready to grab the kid's shirt and pull him back. He pulled his hand in at the last minute. If he hadn't, and I hadn't been watching him, I shudder to think what would have happened.

Moral to the story...even at WDW, you still need to watch your kids!

Moral to the story...even at WDW, you still need to watch your kids!

Whats worse, we were in Epcot during Illuminations, and realized two parents were running around hysterical calling for their child. We're there with 3 of our own, but we felt so concerned we talked with them briefly for a description and spread out ourselves. (holding on to our kids) We alerted the CM's in the area. Security came out to try and calm down the parents while everyone was looking. The show ended and the park started to clear, but we never did find the child. :sad2: After giving our info to secruity we were told to leave. They notified the gates and there were many security guys out front. The last thing we heard was this mom freaking out. It all still haunts me. I don't know if they ever found the child...I pray they did! At least thats what I keep telling myself. Could happen to anyone I guess. :confused3

Short rant here.

For the record, I don't hate kids.

It's a given that The World is going to be busy regardless of what time of year you go. With that said, am I the only one that finds it rude for parents to allow their young children to walk around wherever they wish without keeping an eye on them and allowing them to just stand idly in front of guests? Has anybody other than myself had an experience(s) such as this?

I'm a parent of two children, one who is a toddler and Yes I think it's rude. It won't ruin my day but it's annoying. I believe in keeping my little kids in a stroller. Now if they are walking I hold their hand and they walk with me and do not wonder off. I see this alot in the mall near me but there are sure alot of ignorant people where I live. In restaurants it's the worst, waiters/waitresses are trying to work and people are trying to enjoy their dinner. No reason children can't be taught to be respectful of others. At least the adults should be.

This is a pet peeve at mine. I work in a grocery store, and some people will run back to get something they forgot or leave the line for some reason, and leave their baby and / or young child there. WTH!?!? I'm not a babysitter, and it is not my responsibility to watch your child. It's even more annoying when the child is out of the cart, and doesn't notice their mommie has gone, and then tries to look for them, all the while, we (me, another cashier, a bagger,) try and get them to stay where we can see them.

People will also leave their purses in their carts, though that's not as big a deal. I don't mind when they run back and ask me to watch their purse, since I am right there, and it is just a purse. But don't leave your child, and expect me to babysit.

I soo agree. I have 4 kids myself (8,5,2, and 9months) and we just recently returned from our first trip to Disney. I was in the German pavillion and one child could not find her mom. I remember reading on one site to get the CM....Well the mother did come and was not even the slightest bit concerned. She was more busy with finding hidden mickey's and didn't even care that her child went missing.
I had people staring at me because I was giving my child a lesson on how important it is to stay together (she has ODD and it is extremely difficult for her to understand and follow simple instruction). I am like people if I am telling my children the rules, I wish some one of these people would to. I am totally in Disney mode and LOVE fun (hey you're at the most magical place ever), BUT rules are rules--- doesn't matter where you are.

Is

Completely agree! I am one who WILL say something to parents who let their kids just walk around and think its "soo cute." I have two girls, older now, who when little at WDW were never out of my sight, let alone not holding my hand at all times walking around any of the parks. I understand people who can't seem to keep Johnny in his stroller and so on and he runs away, I get that, he is a toddler! But I cannot stand the people who will sit on Main Street and think its cute for their little Andrew to walk in and among the crowds of people- and than I am the bad guy, of course, when I fall over one of them!! :confused3:

:) well Im the parent of a child getting lost. We were checking into CRT for lunch, and we had 4 kids all 6 and under at the time. We were told to park our stroller "over there" and DH took the 5mos old and checked in while I went to park. I unbuckled my almost 2 yr old, and she was standing next to me. If youve never seen the parking its PACKED at mid day at CRT with all this foot traffic walking through the castle. We were on the end nearest the foot traffic. I reach around to undo my backpack and take it off, and my daughter was gone. I was in a panic, but remained calm. I ran to my DH who said he didnt have her, and we split up. They say if you dont find a child in the first 5 mins the chances of finding them keep getting slimmer by each passing minute. Im the type of mom who keeps a passport of sorts on the kids when we travel with hair swatches and fingerprints etc, because I always want to make sure we are prepared. Friends of ours lost their daughter once and she has never been found. We started going out each side of the castle and yelling for her. I didnt care who saw us or looked, my goal was to find my child. Thank God for this woman who stopped our daughter and was asking her what her name was, and if she was lost. Someone could have run off with her. I thanked the woman profusely and held my daughter tight. Now I make them stay in the stroller until I get the bag off, and then we will back the stroller up and take the bag off. For our now 1 yr old we have purchased a harness this year. He loves to run off, and doest like to sit for hours at a time, so this is added protection regardless of what peoples opinions are on the whole harness thing. Its a parent worst nightmare to lose a child, and our daughter just got caught up in the crowd and she was gone in a second. I always stop crying children who are lost and help them find help.

As for kids who stop in frot of you..I dont really have an issue with this except that I might trip on them. I do have issue with children running in circles messing around in front of someone elses area. I also have issue with adults who should know better who take their Little Rascals and feel that they can honk the horn and make people move out of the way, or hit you with them, or adults who decide to stop right in front of you to have a chat and block the whole path.;)

MInd boggling, isn't it, how quickly they can disappear?

I'm another of those "always on duty" moms, who try to help any stray child I see in a department store or supermarket.

Thank God that someone was alert enough to realize that your daughter was lost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter