Parents Now Protected From Having To Pay Extra To Sit With Their Kids On Flights

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should save some seats in the back of the plane for parents with children.

But I don't have littles and I like sitting in the back so I'm close to the bathroom. Now this would affect me, because it'll be kiddyland if that idea is set into motion.

As per usual you actually need to read information not just a blog...

This is just a tiny snippet of it

"U.S. airlines that permit consumers to reserve seats at the time of booking should consider a policy to assign without charge adjacent seats to a young child and his or her accompanying adult traveling on the same ticket contemporaneously with booking to the extent seating inventory is available. If adjacent seats are not available at booking, OACP encourages airlines to provide clear and accurate information to the parent or other adult traveling with the young child to enable the adult to make informed decisions on how to proceed. Airlines are not required to provide a seat assignment that would result in an upgrade to another cabin class or a seat with extra legroom or seat pitch for which additional payment is normally required. However, if a young child and an accompanying adult purchase tickets in the same class of service or fare type, including basic economy,[1] airlines should seat them together to the maximum extent practicable.

If an airline does not provide advance seat assignments at booking at no additional cost for those traveling with a young child or has an open seating policy, the airline should have a policy and procedures in place to ensure adults traveling with young children are able to be seated so that at least one accompanying adult is adjacent to each young child at no additional cost. For example, an airline with an open seating policy may permit an adult traveling with young children to board early enough in the process to obtain adjacent seats. In the alternative, an airline might choose to block seats for use by these travelers at no additional cost. An airline that uses seat blocking should monitor its ability to ensure that adequate numbers of seats are blocked to meet the demand for adjacent seats for those traveling with young children on that flight. Also, airlines should have policies that enable its personnel to make immediate adjustments as needed to ensure young children are able to be seated adjacent to an accompanying adult."

Full info here but make sure to actually click the document which opens a word document https://www.transportation.gov/indi...er-protection/family-seating/June-2022-notice

Sure, but sometimes the issue is that there aren't seats together on the plane at the time of booking. You can say "then they should have booked earlier or take a different flight" but people travel for lots of reasons and those reasons aren't always known months in advance.

The real problem is that the airline customer experience has been chipped away over the years to the point that people have become accustomed to absolute bottom of the barrel service being the norm. So things that should just be part of the experience, like 'picking a seat' and 'having a bag with you' are now considered "premium extras" that cost more. That's lame.

Nothing in this recommendation suggests that airlines kick someone out of an already selected seat to allow a parent to sit with their child, so it does nothing to help with the situation you described.

Unless, you are suggesting that airlines hold back more seats just in case a parent and child want to sit together? In which case, they are now penalizing those without children (since, to do this, airlines would have to limit the seats that those without children are allowed to select).

It's unfortunate that some parents don't recognize that paying for adjacent seating for their children is just a cost of raising kids. Doing anything with kids costs more money than doing things without them. Most airlines let you choose seats in advance, and sometimes those seats cost money. The cost of these seats is based on location. If you have to sit next to your child, then you have to pay to choose the location of the seats, just like everyone else. Seems pretty straightforward. I wish more airlines would make it clear to parents that there very well may NOT be adjacent seating if they don't purchase it in advance. It's not reasonable to expect someone who pre-planned and paid for a specific seat to relinquish it because you didn't pre-plan. If there isn't appropriate seating available for a parent, then the parent should choose a flight when there IS seating available. I hate to sound harsh about it, but the rules these days are you have to pay to get something. Gone are the days of seat assignments being free; that ended when folks complained about some passengers getting seats with more legroom (bulkhead or emergency row seating) without having to pay more.

Southwest has tried to mitigate some of this by doing "family boarding" between groups A and B. Kinda burns my butt that I have to pay for early bird seating or be online at a specific time to get a better boarding position but those with kids can just show up whenever and get a much better chance of having seats together (and yes, I know many pay for EB or do the 24 hour boarding position thing, but many also do NOT), but at least I know the policy and, if it's important to me, I can pay (EB) to improve the chance of my travel party having adjacent seating. We traveled this week and I was pleased to see, on all 5 flights, that the gate agents were clear to announce that a "family" consisted of ONLY 2 adults with children under a certain age. Doesn't matter how many kids, but only 2 adults, not parents and grandparents and uncles and aunts and and and...

Also, while grousing... 13 year olds can't sit by themselves on a plane? I bet those same 13 year olds go to the mall for the afternoon, completely unchaperoned, for example, but they can't sit on a plane "alone" with parents and flight attendants well within earshot? Heck, I had a steady babysitting job on Friday nights, four kids, from 6pm to midnight, when I was 12. Maybe do we coddle our kids a little too much sometimes, these days? (Yes, I know... fodder for another thread, for sure!).

Why is it funny? If you want to sit together buy the product that allows for that. Don't buy the discount product. And WATCH YOUR FLIGHTS. Be eagle-eyed so you can catch any changes that might change the seating assignments.
Discount product? You serious Clark?

US based airlines have become a joke. The customer experience is a disgrace, the business model is disgusting, the way employees are treated is laughable. And whenever the going gets rough, the government bails them out.

There is no way to defend what airlines have become. All you can say is "Don't like it, don't fly." Personally, I'd prefer if airlines reverted back to a model that made sense for consumers, especially since, with all the bailouts, they are basically taxpayer owned entities.

Why should there be 5 tiers of seats in coach? You think that's for the customers benefit?

On a recent flight, I booked early and chose seats together for my family. The airline changed the flight twice and I had to call and argue to get seats together. And then they finally changed it again the night before the flight. Even calling and arguing couldn't help, and my kids (13 and under) and my husband and I were seated in random middle seats throughout the plane. There was one nice guy who noticed me putting my kids all over the plane and offered to switch his seat with me so I could be a little closer to my youngest. Really "unfair", but I guess I should be grateful they didn't completely cancel the flight? Oh, and the airline never contacted me about the changes, I checked the app frequently because I know they pull this stuff often.

But I don't have littles and I like sitting in the back so I'm close to the bathroom. Now this would affect me, because it'll be kiddyland if that idea is set into motion.

We sit toward the front and use that bathroom. In my experience most families head toward the back anyway. They shouldn’t save seats at the front for people who didn’t plan ahead and expect to be accommodated. Those seats are usually the ones people want most. I’m not talking the whole back of the plane. Just a couple of rows.

We sit toward the front and use that bathroom. In my experience most families head toward the back anyway. They shouldn’t save seats at the front for people who didn’t plan ahead and expect to be accommodated. Those seats are usually the ones people want most. I’m not talking the whole back of the plane. Just a couple of rows.

Replying to my own comment - I really don’t think they should save any seats for people who don’t plan ahead. I always did as much as necessary to ensure I was seated with my kid. I do feel bad for people who all the planning like a recent prior post who had mult flight changes and no option but middle seats for her family. That is awful. But honestly I am all about doing what needs done for your family and not depending on others to do it. Also I appreciate the prior post further explaining that most misinterpreted the article.

I know people talk about U.S. airlines but it isn't as if international airlines and airports don't have issues from airlines going defunct and stranding the passengers (which existed long before the pandemic) to Heathrow for months shutting off ticket sales to now just hearing about Manchester where people were told there were no employees to unload their luggage and they waited 3 hours in the airport only to be told get out...without their luggage and many were complaining that they didn't get anything no acknowledgement no apology nothing and was it last week or the week before where a plane went empty from Heathrow IIRC to Minnesota to deliver luggage for all the people.

And whenever the going gets rough, the government bails them out.
Yes/no what we don't want to be the norm in the U.S. is airlines just up and ceasing to exist which is something that happens often enough internationally. What we do have that is tricky is merging that allows for somewhat of a monopoly situation.

I've got a friend whose mother booked with SAS Air to give an example flying to Ireland in a few months.

Southwest has tried to mitigate some of this by doing "family boarding" between groups A and B. Kinda burns my butt that I have to pay for early bird seating or be online at a specific time to get a better boarding position but those with kids can just show up whenever and get a much better chance of having seats together (and yes, I know many pay for EB or do the 24 hour boarding position thing, but many also do NOT), but at least I know the policy and, if it's important to me, I can pay (EB) to improve the chance of my travel party having adjacent seating. We traveled this week and I was pleased to see, on all 5 flights, that the gate agents were clear to announce that a "family" consisted of ONLY 2 adults with children under a certain age. Doesn't matter how many kids, but only 2 adults, not parents and grandparents and uncles and aunts and and and...
We're flying Southwest and plan on checking in at the 24 hour mark as well as utilize family boarding. We will only take 2 adults (rather than taking advantage of myself and husband with our 2 littles, then my sister with hers) through with the 4 littles but the rest of our group will board at their regular positions. We have a group of 15 total and if they have to split up so be it. I'd rather not sit next to the teens anyway on an early flight lol. And I guess if someone wants to sit next to the littles who talk literally nonstop, I'll gladly seat them next to them!

My flight home last night on American was not. I had a full row; so did the guy behind and across the aisle. I believe there were others. But the SW flight that got me to the funeral was definitely full.

You're lucky. I typically fly Delta and I don't think I've been on a non-full flight (even leaving at 5:40 a.m.) since COVID. They're not running as many planes or routes due to staffing issues.

On a recent flight, I booked early and chose seats together for my family. The airline changed the flight twice and I had to call and argue to get seats together. And then they finally changed it again the night before the flight. Even calling and arguing couldn't help, and my kids (13 and under) and my husband and I were seated in random middle seats throughout the plane. There was one nice guy who noticed me putting my kids all over the plane and offered to switch his seat with me so I could be a little closer to my youngest. Really "unfair", but I guess I should be grateful they didn't completely cancel the flight? Oh, and the airline never contacted me about the changes, I checked the app frequently because I know they pull this stuff often.

That's frustrating. I haven't experienced that yet. Every auto rebook has included the passenger traveling with me.

Discount product? You serious Clark?

Not sure who Clark is, but yes, it's a discount. Did you miss the part of my longer post about the fact that tickets SHOULD be much MUCH higher than they are?

Why should there be 5 tiers of seats in coach? You think that's for the customers benefit?
Why yes I do. If I want to pay closer to what inflation says I should pay (to approximate the flight experience I had in 1982), I can get the higher-priced products. If I want a lesser experience then I can pay less and get that.

Unless I'm on a huge plane there are only two bathroom areas. The front is generally for first class. There's also only one, and it can be blocked off for the pilot and copilot. And you can't wait in line. I prefer to not have to navigate all of that and to have two available. So I sit in back. Furthest back if I don't mind being squashed by the person in front of me putting their seat back. Second or third if I do.

And I guess if someone wants to sit next to the littles who talk literally nonstop, I'll gladly seat them next to them!

Try to get on a flight with me. I don't mind littles who talk a lot. Though I don't hear high voices perfectly and my hearing gets "less" on planes, but little kids don't seem to mind it as much when adults don't hear them.

Regarding the argument that "people paid for their seats and shouldn't have to give them up.." Well, people are forced to give up seats they paid for all the time. It just happened to me on Delta last week where my seat was changed without my knowledge just before we boarded with no given reason. And I had chosen my seats for a reason. Honestly, if it was to allow a parent to sit next to their child, I'm fine with that. It's better than being stuck next to their kid myself..

It's unfortunate that some parents don't recognize that paying for adjacent seating for their children is just a cost of raising kids. Doing anything with kids costs more money than doing things without them. Most airlines let you choose seats in advance, and sometimes those seats cost money. The cost of these seats is based on location. If you have to sit next to your child, then you have to pay to choose the location of the seats, just like everyone else. Seems pretty straightforward. I wish more airlines would make it clear to parents that there very well may NOT be adjacent seating if they don't purchase it in advance. It's not reasonable to expect someone who pre-planned and paid for a specific seat to relinquish it because you didn't pre-plan. If there isn't appropriate seating available for a parent, then the parent should choose a flight when there IS seating available. I hate to sound harsh about it, but the rules these days are you have to pay to get something. Gone are the days of seat assignments being free; that ended when folks complained about some passengers getting seats with more legroom (bulkhead or emergency row seating) without having to pay more.

Also, while grousing... 13 year olds can't sit by themselves on a plane? I bet those same 13 year olds go to the mall for the afternoon, completely unchaperoned, for example, but they can't sit on a plane "alone" with parents and flight attendants well within earshot? Heck, I had a steady babysitting job on Friday nights, four kids, from 6pm to midnight, when I was 12. Maybe do we coddle our kids a little too much sometimes, these days? (Yes, I know... fodder for another thread, for sure!).
I think with SW , everyone who buys EB should be allowed to board before family boarding or they should get their money back.

A flight some years ago, there was a parent and young child. Last to board. Was not two seats together. No one wanted to move. FA says this plane is not moving until someone moves. I don't know why the parent was last to board or anything, but having to pay for EB and then lose the advanage doesn't sit right with me.

I think with SW , everyone who buys EB should be allowed to board before family boarding or they should get their money back.

A flight some years ago, there was a parent and young child. Last to board. Was not two seats together. No one wanted to move. FA says this plane is not moving until someone moves. I don't know why the parent was last to board or anything, but having to pay for EB and then lose the advanage doesn't sit right with me.
Connecting passengers may get to the gate late. Airlines will sometimes hold a flight to accomodate a late arriving flight with connecting pax.

Southwest guarantees passengers who pay for EBCI will get a boarding number one less then the lowest number assigned to a pax who didn’t pay for EBCI. In other words almost nothing is actually promised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter