Parents of 8th grade boys...

Dizneefamily+4

Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!
I know that some schools don't hold a Middle School graduation and that some Middle Schools go through 9th grade. However, if you're 8th grade boy is graduating from Middle School to High School this year, what are they planning to wear? I'm currently trying to figure this out with my 8th grade ds. He's not sure if he wants to wear a shirt and tie (which he's NEVER worn, never WANTED to wear and doesn't own) or a polo and khakis. So, just curious as to what yours is planningto wear???

Loaded question, but what does the school advise? We were always given guidelines for things like this. In SoCal, the rules included no tuxes, no limos, no sky high heels, no bare midriffs, no shorts or short skirts, no tshirts. Those were the general guidelines for all participating.

I believe the boys here wear nice pants and a button down or polo - doesn't matter much because they wear gowns. Ds12 has to wear pants and a nice shirt for 6th grade graduation.

Our 8th grade promotion ceremony is a little more informal. It's held out on the school lawn, all friends/family bring their own beach/camp type chairs. So the boys mostly all wore nice shorts and polo or short-sleeve button downs. Girls wore simple dresses.

I know that some schools don't hold a Middle School graduation and that some Middle Schools go through 9th grade. However, if you're 8th grade boy is graduating from Middle School to High School this year, what are they planning to wear? I'm currently trying to figure this out with my 8th grade ds. He's not sure if he wants to wear a shirt and tie (which he's NEVER worn, never WANTED to wear and doesn't own) or a polo and khakis. So, just curious as to what yours is planningto wear???

Here it's called the "8th Grade Fare Thee Well" and isn't a graduation ceremony. It's more of a general goodbye. The school feels graduation should be reserved for H.S.

That being said, if DS even goes (he hasn't decided yet), he'll probably just wear jeans and a nice shirt . Most of the boys do. When DD left 8th grade 2 years ago, she bought a special dress and had her hair done..my son could care less...he's just happy that school is almost out (june 5)!

Around here boys wear shirt and tie or a polo shirt - usually with khaki pants.

A suggestion to find out what is done at your school is to have your son check out some photos posted on social media from the previous year.

Good luck!

My 6th grade boy is graduation from middle school to the high school. (Here it is 7-12). The boys wear suits and ties, girls fancy dresses etc. I am going to rent a suit like I did for my oldest son and just be done with it.

My son wore dress pants, a dress shirt and a tie. BUT so did the other boys as it was required. I would check with the school. If there is no dress code, I would go with a dressy khaki and nice polo or even a dress shirt without the tie.

Our 8th. grade graduation and "dance" were to get the boys used to dressing up more so they would have a tie and be more comfortable. Not all schools do this but I would go with the majority so he doesn't feel out of place.

We don't have a middle school ceremony but for elementary school most of the boys wore polos and khaki pants or shorts

Ours is casual. Boys wear khakis/shorts with polos and girls wear casual dresses.

I have an 8th grader. He has known what he is wearing for the past few months Im sure. But he's like that. The guidelines they are given is basically Sunday Best, assuming that because its Texas, your Sunday Best is what you would wear to church. My other kids Sunday Best was jeans and a t shirt. Thats what they wore on Sundays around here. But I just let them wear jeans and then bought them a nice Oxford shirt and called it a day. They get multiple uses out of one Oxford shirt! My current 8th grader has a whole wardrobe of Sunday Best so he's prepared.

My DS attended a k-8 parochial school. Graduation was a big deal. There were no caps and gowns. Boys were required to wear dress shirt and tie or a suit. DS talked to his friends (and I talked to other moms) to see what they were wearing. His closest friends were all wearing suits, so that is what DS wore.
Ask around, or have your DS ask around. You could also ask a teacher or principal what the boys most typically wear.
Congrats to your DS :)

I don't remember what our son wore. "Graduation" was held during a class day. I think he went with a button down and jeans, maybe? He possibly went as far as khakis, dress shirt, and bow-tie (that's how he rolls). I'll have to look for pictures.

I know there were other kids there who went with jeans and a t-shirt.

Last edited:
My ds "graduated" 8th grade last year. He wore nice khakis and a polo shirt. Most boys wore either a polo or a button down (not dress shirt). There were a few in dress shirts and ties too, but just a few.

My 6'3" 14 yr old baby angel boy will be rocking his black jeans and skinny dress shirt with a necktie. He usually rolls the sleeves up though to make it a bit more casual :smooth:

Our 8th grade boys all wear suits for graduation (we're a K-8 private school). Girls all wear dresses.

They have always had a dance after Grade 8 grad. Girls wear formal gowns and boys wear suits or a dress shirt with tie.

Thanks for the replies everyone! No formal policy at school and I know from friends who have current freshman (so last year's 8th graders,) that it's a mix - some are shirt/tie/khakis and some are polo or button down/khakis. I think in the long run, knowing my ds and his disdain for formal wear (I can barely get the kid to even wear jeans - he's more into athletic wear,) he'll be sporting the polo/khaki attire. It's nice to get everyone's perspective. Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter