Parents of the Class of 2019

We have 16 more school days left. They didn't use up enough fog delays so they are doing a lot of late starts and early outs. DD starts 6 weeks summer school the very next Monday, though, so it doesn't really feel much like summer break. We'll have to wait til late July to go anywhere.

My son's school isn't done until June 8th - pretty late compared to a lot of other schools around us (younger son, for example, is done May 31st).

Driving is going well except he hasn't found a place yet to do his in-car driver's ed. He's going to do his "in class" part online.

He's talked about getting a "real job" this summer - we know the owners of a couple Subway franchises near us and they said they'd hire him. In fact, one of his friends already got hired and I think the two of them can be put on the same shift so our son has a ride to work. In the meantime, he's been refereeing soccer every weekend - not a bad gig, as he's making between $100 and $150 every weekend for only a couple hours of work. He's also mentioned wanted to apply to the local ski resort for this winter, but again, he has to be the one to fill out the application, so who knows if he'll do so?

My youngest child will graduate 2019. She just got her learner's last month. She is part of the color guard with the band and has absolutely loved her freshman year. My DS graduated high school last year (2015) and just finished his first year of college. My family of 4 are heading to Disney May 21-27 to celebrate the closing of two great school years. :)

I'm jealous of how early some of you are out of school! We've got until the 9th and I'm so ready for summer.

DD has started talking about a summer job, I think because her best friend just started working at Dairy Queen, but I just don't see how she's going to have time even if she could find something. She's up north with her best friend July 1-10, camping 17-23 for county fair, then at summer camp the 23-30. Then we get to Aug when she has half-days of drivers ed 8-25, then we're heading to NY for a college tour/family vacation from Aug 26 to Sept. 5. And that's not counting all the little things, summer concerts and 4H meetings and all of that. I'm strongly encouraging her to stick to just washing my FIL's boat and doing their yard work; it isn't a lot of money, but it fits into her schedule and is enough to keep a bit of spending cash in her pocket.

Bumping up for a new school year...

Soccer tryouts just started yesterday for DS - so I guess his school year is sort of on now. :)

I'm jealous of how early some of you are out of school! We've got until the 9th and I'm so ready for summer.

Don't be so quick to be jealous. We were out early and are now counting down the end of summer. School starts a week from Thursday.

DD has been having tennis practice off and on all summer. She's into the every day practices now.

I'm really not ready for the rat race to start up again.

We got drivers ed done! Really felt like her summer didn't begin until that was over. She had so much homework. Thanks to DD17 and grandma, we got her down to class 35 miles away though. And sometimes the teacher let her end her drive time in the town I work in. Her driving partner seemed to be one with the most scheduling conflicts but somehow it all worked out without too much hassle. Now to get her school permit!

She made it into Advanced Music Studies for next year, so she decided she wants to try out for All-State (vocal) this year and go to the overnight camp (this Thursday-Friday) to learn the music. When it was time to sign up her teacher said he would provide transportation for the camp 2 hours away. I doubt she will make All-State but I thought this would be good for her and I'd just have to get her to town/pick her up in town- easy enough. Yesterday, he messaged them that unfortunately he couldn't go, so they would have to find their own way. So that's just lovely. DD's friend's mom will pick her up Thursday morning at 6:30 to take them there and I think we are making the trip Friday night to bring them home. At least it's at my alma mater so I won't mind seeing it. I would schedule DD17 a campus visit there Friday afternoon to kill another bird but it's a poor time to take off work so I think I've decided against that.

This teacher has also chosen a musical for fall that needs a lot of boys and few girls, while our choir has a very small boys section with few strong singers and large girls section. So that will be interesting...DD is a theater kid so she's definitely doing it regardless of how it turns out.

School starts 8/23 here.

We go back 2 weeks from tomorrow. DS is on his second week of band camp. Found out in June that he has been selected to play French Horn with the Cleveland Youth Wind Symphony for this upcoming year. Very excited about that. He turns 15 1/2 in October so he will be able to get his temps then.

We go back 2 weeks from tomorrow. DS is on his second week of band camp. Found out in June that he has been selected to play French Horn with the Cleveland Youth Wind Symphony for this upcoming year. Very excited about that. He turns 15 1/2 in October so he will be able to get his temps then.

Cleveland, Ohio? That's where I'm at as well. :) Where does he go to school? (or PM me if you don't want to post it publicly).

That's awesome about your son getting selected for the Youth Wind Symphony. Friends of ours have kids who play in it as well. Our son plays tenor saxophone, but he's not really serious about it, as soccer takes up most of his time.

My daughter will actually get her full license next month. Heaven help me. :faint:

Our son is probably looking at late September (about a month after his birthday). Getting his in-car instruction time booked was a headache. Otherwise, he's pretty much all set.

Our son is probably looking at late September (about a month after his birthday). Getting his in-car instruction time booked was a headache. Otherwise, he's pretty much all set.

My husband and daughter have been going out driving in the evening after dinner pretty routinely since she got her permit last year. :car:

I need to teach her parallel parking, but other than that I think she's ready. I'm the one who isn't. ;)

Cleveland, Ohio? That's where I'm at as well. :) Where does he go to school? (or PM me if you don't want to post it publicly).

That's awesome about your son getting selected for the Youth Wind Symphony. Friends of ours have kids who play in it as well. Our son plays tenor saxophone, but he's not really serious about it, as soccer takes up most of his time.
He goes to Twinsburg High School. Where are you guys at?

DD got her permit back in March, she's been driving tons since then, she'll be able to get her full license in March of 2017. She did get a 5 on her AP Human Geography test last spring, she was completely psyched about that! Otherwise, she's working at this moment on some over the summer schoolwork for Honors English and AP European History and will start back next week. She does swim team and they don't start until winter, so no sports on the horizon right now!

DD will be old enough for her full license end of September, but no way is she ready. :(

DS is just reaching the age where he can take the class. Did anyone else do the "speed week," and what did you find were the advantages/disadvantages?

DD starts band camp Monday. Seems too early to go back to school :(

Don't be so quick to be jealous. We were out early and are now counting down the end of summer. School starts a week from Thursday.

DD has been having tennis practice off and on all summer. She's into the every day practices now.

I'm really not ready for the rat race to start up again.

Yeah, my son's best friend started on Monday. I couldn't believe it - we still have a month of summer left!

DD gave up her fall sport, so we've had a summer without conditioning and practices. :) Volleyball was never her thing and while she's thinking she's going to sign up for the adult (16+) just-for-fun church league next year, it isn't something she wants to dedicate varsity-sport amounts of time to. Which is good, because she was gone 3 weeks this summer for camps and 4H events and next summer will be even busier. And without a sport, we're able to put off drivers' ed for a few months so she'll actually have most of August free to just enjoy summer without alarm clocks and deadlines. Well, except for summer homework which she just started this morning...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter