• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parents of the Class of 2019

My DD is into daily tennis practice now. School starts on the 17th, so not that far away. She still has a decent amount of summer homework to do too.

Our middle child is moving several states away this week, so we're sort of distracted with that and not paying much attention to DD's school schedule yet. I know we do all of this so they'll graduate college and get a good job, but this moving away thing sucks. I might have to rethink encouraging DD to spread her wings as much. :p :sad:

All I know is the house has been busting at the seams all summer and it's going to seem pretty empty real soon.

We've had Powerschool for years here. Honestly though, I don't use it. My kids have though. So if you have questions, let me know and I'll ask them.

Thanks. I'm hoping it's easier to use than our last one. We got report cards over it, which worked OK, but it had the potential for so much more, and most of DS's teachers didn't really take advantage of it. A couple did occasionally (he got a few assignments when he was out for appointments and stuff) but the use wasn't consistent at all. (I can't really blame them, though, as I hear they got no training.)

Last edited:
Amazing how much things have changed. I got a 27 on mine - only 3 of the top 3% of my class scored that high & we each received 100% tuition free scholarships to any University of Missouri campus. That was 90th percentile then, but this was before prep courses were a thing.
It's way more competitive today. I just hired a SAT/ACT tutor, can't believe it's august already!

Meanwhile, on a lighter note, DD and I are obsessing a little bit over Homecoming dresses. We both love looking at all the dresses online and we've been scouring the sites. She tried on a few at Dillard's. We had bought a LED constellation skirt from ThinkGeek but when she put it on it really wasn't the look she wanted to go for, no matter how cool it would be to have a light-up skirt at the dance. I think we'll try to sell it as we're past the return date. Unless she can think of another occasion to use it.

In DD18's college town there is a prom shop and their website says they're hiring. DD18 is not too interested, but DD15 would be all over that, getting paid to work with all the fancy dresses princess:

School starts today for DD (yes, on a Friday, I don't know why...), it started yesterday for DS as a Freshman, but for everyone else it starts today. Her visit to MIT went really well, the interview with her professor was fun although she didn't get to tour the lab. She did find out that they do have internships for high schoolers that she can apply for for next summer and if she gets one the professor will pull her into her lab so DD was pretty excited about that!

We won't find out for another week or so if DD gets a parking pass. They don't have enough parking spaces for all of the Juniors and Seniors who drive to park at the school, so they give out passes to the Seniors who want them first, then after the 17th they see how many passes haven't been claimed and hold a random drawing for those who have signed up who have licenses. It will make things so much easier if she can drive to school! She'll be able to take DS with her, and get herself to swim practice when it starts up in November, then take DS to dive practice when those start after swim season is over!

School starts here next Thursday. My daughter is busy making changes to her schedule. I took her up yesterday to make one change and now she wants more, so I told her that's between her and the counselors at this point. It's a very ambitious schedule, so I don't care any more how she fine tunes it. She wanted to swap from AP Bio to Ap Chem but apparently there's only one section of AP Chem, and that's the same hour as the only hour of Pre-Calc/Trig. Seems pretty nutty to me, but they didn't ask me. :p So AP Bio it is.

Tennis practice continues on a daily basis. Oh, and her tan is coming along nicely. LOL. That's apparently one of the important benefits of summer tennis practice.

Dd had her first SAT tutoring session yesterday, he thinks she can bump her score up to national merit scholarship level, but they only worked on math, her strongest subject. He will come once a week for three months, and gave her a lot of homework. She did say it wash helpful. She still has to finish summer reading and AP assignments. She has been away an entire month total vacationing with friends, leaving for Lake George on Sunday. All of the vacations were at beaches, no reason not to read, especially since all of the girls are in the same boat.

I hope she is enjoying her summer, I think this academic year is going to be insane.

DD's schedule is up in the air, at the moment Advanced Chemistry and Advanced Music Studies is in the same block. She should really take chemistry this year- but she REALLY wants to sing in AMS (it's like an advanced choir). And if she puts chemistry off till next year I figure it'll be the same conflict again. I don't know what they're going to do about it but they're trying to come up with a solution for her and any others in the same boat.

I have a junior who will graduate next year. We are looking for ideas for the juniors to raise money for their senior trip next year. It costs each student approx $1300. Do you have any recommendations on something different to do than typical sales? Thanks.

I have a junior who will graduate next year. We are looking for ideas for the juniors to raise money for their senior trip next year. It costs each student approx $1300. Do you have any recommendations on something different to do than typical sales? Thanks.
My daughter's gymnastics team sold Yankee Candle Fundraiser products for several years. Each individual's sales were kept separated, and Yankee Candle deposited the proceeds from each child's sales into that child's competition fund. That part was nice, because one year she had $800 in profit and another it was over $400. Many people seemed to like it because it is a product they like to buy anyway, and they could look at the online catalog/place an order at their convenience.

Dd had her first SAT tutoring session yesterday, he thinks she can bump her score up to national merit scholarship level, but they only worked on math, her strongest subject. He will come once a week for three months, and gave her a lot of homework. She did say it wash helpful. She still has to finish summer reading and AP assignments. She has been away an entire month total vacationing with friends, leaving for Lake George on Sunday. All of the vacations were at beaches, no reason not to read, especially since all of the girls are in the same boat.

I hope she is enjoying her summer, I think this academic year is going to be insane.

My DD is in that same boat. Completed the first of three AP projects last night, started number two of three today. School starts one week from today. Shaking my head...... The last two years she was up til 4:00am the day school started finishing up AP and summer reading projects. Don't know why I though this year would be any different.

First day of school today! Last night she loaded up her locker and then helped with tours for Freshman orientation. Since she had to stay for that, I didn't go with her. She said she felt so grown up going by herself and leading freshmen and their families around. First time in 13 years I haven't gone to Back to School night.

The current plan for fitting in Advanced Chemistry is that she will sit in on the regular Chemistry class but actually be doing the Advanced Chemistry workload. I have no idea how this will work out but her teacher was willing to give it a try.

This weekend she took over her sister's job of cleaning the office where I work. She also stopped at the dairy sweet for an application. She turns 16 Saturday so she will finally be able to get herself to a job. I don't know how much she'll be able to work, especially when play practice starts, but there are plenty of kids that work there so they can be flexible. Then hopefully next summer she can work quite a bit.

Things are in full swing here. Today is the 4th day of school and with tennis matches or practice every day after school, these are some very long days. So glad the job ended before summer. She's really going to need her weekends to do homework and regroup

She finally got her schedule finalized Monday. Turns out the counselor was mistaken about there being only one section of AP Chem, so with a bunch of other shuffling, she was able to swap out of AP Bio for that. My only regret is that she didn't ditch Human Growth and Development in the process. That's the one with the screaming fake baby. I'll babysit grandkids when we have them, but told her going into it that I don't do fake babies. :p

School hasn't started here yet, but DS got his schedule and his books. Now he has to sit himself down and finish the many summer assignments that he hasn't completed yet!

He will finish up his summer job at the zoo this week and he has applied for a job there during the school year. He's had his interview and decisions will be made by next week.

School starting here on 8/31. DS finishing up his last summer reading book. School still hasn't released their schedule. They always wait for the last minute which is very stressful to try to fix something before classes begin. DS is an avid baseball player. He decided not to play fall ball this year. I thought that would be a great relieve for him and I too!! He now decided to tryout for soccer, and has a good shot of making the varsity team. Oh boy, there goes the fall!!! Was much looking forward to the down time with no sports for a while. We'll know by Friday if he makes the Varsity level or not.

First day of school here, so of course DD was up until midnight last night finishing up her summer assignments. She's got four honors/AP classes, all of which have summer work, and I don't think she started any of it until we were in the car on the way to Kentucky on Sunday.

School starting here on 8/31. DS finishing up his last summer reading book. School still hasn't released their schedule. They always wait for the last minute which is very stressful to try to fix something before classes begin. DS is an avid baseball player. He decided not to play fall ball this year. I thought that would be a great relieve for him and I too!! He now decided to tryout for soccer, and has a good shot of making the varsity team. Oh boy, there goes the fall!!! Was much looking forward to the down time with no sports for a while. We'll know by Friday if he makes the Varsity level or not.
Wow, your soccer trouts are late. Captains practices here start the beginning of August, and 6 day a week 3+ hour tryouts go for 3 weeks, and then daily practices (or doubles) until school starts. My boys stopped baseball in high school, but we are a big soccer family, dd14, dd14, and ds19 have played since first grade, rec, travel, and club. I prefer it over baseball, games are a little shorter.

Today was scheduled to be the first day of school for my son, but construction delays at the school pushed the start date back to next Thursday.

We're two games into soccer season - official tryouts were the first week of August, then a couple week preseason and regular season games started last Friday. DS was injured for all of preseason (groin pull) and is still struggling dealing with his coach and getting any playing time. :( He's still wanting to quit, but we're hoping things will turn around for him soon. With only 3 seniors on the team, he should be getting a lot of playing time, but for some reason he can't get out of his coach's dog house (while a kid who didn't come out for tryouts, but showed up for a practice three days before the first regular season game is now a starter. :headache:)

Is anyone looking into scholarships yet? DD's Financial Literacy teacher told them they should start now. We just went through the scholarship thing with DD18, but the local ones only want seniors to apply, so do we just start with the national ones on the scholarship search sites?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter