Parents of the Class of 2019

Did another college visit Saturday. It was very Christian and very perfect and Pinteresty! Women's dorm was pretty luxe. DD liked it a lot but it doesn't meet all her criteria. I think it was good to take her though as it's been on her list a long time and she can't say I didn't let her look.

Also, without getting into details I just have to say senior year and the summer leading up have just been a total roller coaster in many ways! There has been yet another plot twist this weekend (a good one I think) and we agreed we just never know what her life is going to be from one day to the next!

Also, without getting into details I just have to say senior year and the summer leading up have just been a total roller coaster in many ways! There has been yet another plot twist this weekend (a good one I think) and we agreed we just never know what her life is going to be from one day to the next!

So, so, so, so true!!!

(And not really a great match for my personality - I'm more of a carousel person when it comes to my preference for ups and downs. :laughing: )

DD said the subject tests went well, and Fall/Winter has come to Colorado with a vengeance! But, the great news is that we got back her Senior pictures! They look really good, and I now get to decide what to frame, give as gifts, print in that size vs. the other, etc.
We got our proofs back, I’m just getting two 5 x 7’s ($75, no option for just one). Her appointment was at the same time as her bff, so buying those also.

DD said the subject tests went well, and Fall/Winter has come to Colorado with a vengeance! But, the great news is that we got back her Senior pictures! They look really good, and I now get to decide what to frame, give as gifts, print in that size vs. the other, etc.

We’re headed to Gunnison Halloweeen. DD wants to visit Western State CO U. Hope I can get over Monarch Pass without snow LOL

So DD is still in Boston (really liked BU) as another named storm is heading our way. She and her dad are flying home hopefully tomorrow night ahead of it.

Her school is closed for a half day tomorrow and all of Weds. Her guidance counselor now has to figure out what to do with the PSAT and other state testing that was occurring Weds! Plus...I'm fairly sure DD hasn't turned in her NMS application and won't have a way to have her guidance counselor do anything (transcript/letter) on Weds (when it's due). When it rains, it pours here (literally).

Sending good thoughts to all of you getting nasty weather. The high is 87 today here in Ohio, but on Saturday, it's supposed to be in the mid-50s. DS had his yearbook photo taken at the school during the summer (headshot only). His senior portraits are scheduled for Sunday afternoon.

Question for the more seasoned parents: The kids aren't supposed to submit an AP score report with their application, are they? If I'm reading correctly, they self-report on the application, then send a final report to the school they choose to attend. Just want to make sure this first-timer isn't screwing anything up!

Do your schools do a senior all-night party? We've just started the planning for the one at DD's school and this stuff is nuts! They're talking about a $3000 to $5000 fundraising goal to throw an overnight party in the school gym for 34 kids after graduation. So far, they've got a DJ, a couple hours of knocker ball, and a shaved-ice food truck booked, and are planning an escape room in one of the locker rooms. I guess the big thing is the door prize raffles, though - they get dorm room items, everything from decor items to a mini-fridge, and assorted major-chain gift cards that will be given away over the course of the night. I wasn't really planning on getting involved in the planning committee but a friend is chairing it, so here I am, trying to brainstorm activities and ideas for this crazy thing. :rotfl:

Do your schools do a senior all-night party? We've just started the planning for the one at DD's school and this stuff is nuts! They're talking about a $3000 to $5000 fundraising goal to throw an overnight party in the school gym for 34 kids after graduation. So far, they've got a DJ, a couple hours of knocker ball, and a shaved-ice food truck booked, and are planning an escape room in one of the locker rooms. I guess the big thing is the door prize raffles, though - they get dorm room items, everything from decor items to a mini-fridge, and assorted major-chain gift cards that will be given away over the course of the night. I wasn't really planning on getting involved in the planning committee but a friend is chairing it, so here I am, trying to brainstorm activities and ideas for this crazy thing. :rotfl:
It’s called project graduation here and they bus the kids to a facility for this, I’m sure it’s way more expensive, they have a dj, hypnotist, tons of prizes, food, games - they start fundraising freshman year, the next fundraiser is the senior fashion show held at a beautiful banquet hall with a nice cocktail hour and plated dinner (I think tickets are around $80). We still have to pay for project graduation, but at a much lower cost thanks to fundraising.

All I know as a seasoned mom is that is the committee you don’t want to sign up for! Fortunately I had friends with older kids to warn me when dd22 was I high school. If I remember, I’ll ask my older kids what else goes on, I do know the bus gets back to town around 4:30 am.

We had an all-night party when i graduated. Ours was a lock-in at a fitness club and they had a DJ, food... and I remember trying to learn to play raquetball (the one and only time I've tried.) The door prizes were a big draw, too. I am sure we had to pay but I don't remember it being outlandish, or fundraising for it. Ah, the thngs you don't think about when you're the student.

I haven't heard about my kids' high school doing any sort of after-graduation party though.

We had an all-night party when i graduated. Ours was a lock-in at a fitness club and they had a DJ, food... and I remember trying to learn to play raquetball (the one and only time I've tried.) The door prizes were a big draw, too. I am sure we had to pay but I don't remember it being outlandish, or fundraising for it. Ah, the thngs you don't think about when you're the student.

I haven't heard about my kids' high school doing any sort of after-graduation party though.
Ours might be at a similar place, and the kids themselves don’t participate in any of the fundraising (except for walking/performing at the fashion show, which is actually fun for them and no one has to do it).

Ended up deciding to fly. Got a ridiculously good deal on the Southwest sale so now we will have a little time to sight-see while we’re out there :)

Looks like a neat place that my DD would enjoy. Curious, if your DD were to attend there, what would be the transportation plan? Would she have a car and drive from Missouri? Or would she fly and if so, how would she travel from airport to college? It's not close to Denver...these are things I think about when DD wishes she could go somewhere further but many are super inconvenient to get to.

Sounds like what our schools do for After Prom, but nothing (that I know of) for after graduation.

Looks like a neat place that my DD would enjoy. Curious, if your DD were to attend there, what would be the transportation plan? Would she have a car and drive from Missouri? Or would she fly and if so, how would she travel from airport to college? It's not close to Denver...these are things I think about when DD wishes she could go somewhere further but many are super inconvenient to get to.

DD has a car, but she’s not the most confident driver in new places. So, we’d need to get that sorted out over the next couple of years (she plans to attend a local Community College & then transfer “somewhere”).

These are things I think of as well & these “far away” visits are - from my perspective, anyway - often as much about shedding some light on these logistical challenges as anything else.

DD has a car, but she’s not the most confident driver in new places. So, we’d need to get that sorted out over the next couple of years (she plans to attend a local Community College & then transfer “somewhere”).

These are things I think of as well & these “far away” visits are - from my perspective, anyway - often as much about shedding some light on these logistical challenges as anything else.

I agree. We visited University of Central Arkansas which is about 9 hours to drive and 9 hours to fly by the time you wait at the airports. It took DD about two weeks after the visit to decide it was too far. Nice place, though, and the COA was fantastic after auto merit. We'd be interested in SEMO due to excellent merit and the flight from Des Moines to St. Louis wouldn't be bad but then there's another 2 hours to travel, somehow. Doable but a hassle.

She wants to come home fairly frequently but also wants to be somewhere exotic. When you live in SW Iowa you can't do both :laughing:. Working on accepting the concept of doing college nearby, cheaply, and then living where she wants when she is an adult. But practicality is a hard pill for her to swallow. And she *thinks* other people have higher expectations for her because she might be valedictorian. Sure, people will ask about it to make conversation but 5 minutes later they will not care where she is going and they certainly aren't paying for it.

I agree. We visited University of Central Arkansas which is about 9 hours to drive and 9 hours to fly by the time you wait at the airports. It took DD about two weeks after the visit to decide it was too far. Nice place, though, and the COA was fantastic after auto merit. We'd be interested in SEMO due to excellent merit and the flight from Des Moines to St. Louis wouldn't be bad but then there's another 2 hours to travel, somehow. Doable but a hassle.

She wants to come home fairly frequently but also wants to be somewhere exotic. When you live in SW Iowa you can't do both :laughing:. Working on accepting the concept of doing college nearby, cheaply, and then living where she wants when she is an adult. But practicality is a hard pill for her to swallow. And she *thinks* other people have higher expectations for her because she might be valedictorian. Sure, people will ask about it to make conversation but 5 minutes later they will not care where she is going and they certainly aren't paying for it.
Pretty much anywhere Dd goes is going to be more in the sticks than where we live, but most have access to public transportation. She really wants to be within 3 hours. She’s been to so many major cities, and goes into NYC several times a year, but does not want to go to college in a city. I’m still going to encourage her to apply to BU.

She wants to come home fairly frequently but also wants to be somewhere exotic. When you live in SW Iowa you can't do both :laughing:

LOL! I think about those things too...especially when DD wanted to apply to Sciences Po (France). I'm hoping she'll make it home from Boston tonight ahead of the storm. I love Iowa, btw. I have family near Madison County and if I could, I'd move there in a heartbeat. Sadly DH is from California and won't consider it :sad1:

I’m still going to encourage her to apply to BU.

My DD loved BU...but Boston is quite different than Pensacola so there's that. I saw a photo and there are trees with colored leaves...so exotic to us :)

SEMO would not be terribly difficult to get a bus ride from STL since it’s a straight shot down I-55.

That's how we've approached it too. DD doesn't drive yet and doesn't want to have a car on campus, so visits are as much about whether that is viable and how we'd handle getting her to/from as about any specifics about the schools (most of which can be found online anyway).

We recently got a college "magazine" featuring all the Catholic universities in the U.S. and it inspired DD to add University of San Francisco to her list of potential safeties... but thinking about the logistics on that one is rough! Moving in and out of a dorm on the other side of the continent would be quite an adventure to take on every year. I liked it better when her main safety school was in Chicago - that is a nice, easy drive from here and a reasonable train ride away when it comes to holidays/visits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter