• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

DD is going to start to pack today (she moves in on Monday). All of the oxes, bags, trunk, etc are spread out all over the living room and every time I walk by I get weepy. She's usually keeps her emotions to herself, but I can tell she's really nervous. She's a bit of an introvert, so I'm a little worried about her.

That should say BOXES, not OXES! I don't think oxes are allowed in the dorms!

Moved my twin DDs in yesterday. They are at same school but elected not to room together and are actually in different dorms. The college is a 9+ hour drive from us so it was quite an effort to take the two of them up. We had to load and take both our cars ....DH and I. We stopped two places along the drive up, my mom's house and then a hotel close to college, and had to dig through cars to get stuff for each night layover. On move in day, we had different unload zones due to different dorms. And I then had to run back and forth between dorms to help set up as DH was not much help. We were so tired we bailed before the convocation ceremony the college had. Going back tonight during their dinner break to take two cars full of girls on Target run. Then we say our goodbyes....booo!

They are both on the softball team there and one got another athelete roommate and first floor large corner dorm room. Other DD got non athelete roommate in small older icky second floor room. I feel for her. She is more low key though so I suppose it was better her than my high maintenance girly DD. I just hope her schedule doesn't irritate the non athelete roommate....they have early morning workout at like 6am.

We moved my daughter in yesterday. She got the roommate she requested so that was great. Her room came out pretty good. The girls didn't coordinate but it looks like they planned it all out so we thought that was pretty funny. It was a long day of setting up and I cringe at the thought of packing it all up in December for the break and then doing it all over again come January. I don't think I posted about this on this thread (I think it was on a budget board thread). My daughter is in a room that will be used for minimester over the winter break. We get a $300 tuition break for the trouble but I'd gladly give that up to not have to do this all over again in a few months :scared:

Two of my friends kids schools do that too- they have to move out at Christmas break then move back in after break- crazy!!! The whole campus does that though not just certain people, unless you are taking a winter program then you can stay. My daughter only has 3 weeks off at Christmas so no moving out and back in for her!

Two of my friends kids schools do that too- they have to move out at Christmas break then move back in after break- crazy!!! The whole campus does that though not just certain people, unless you are taking a winter program then you can stay. My daughter only has 3 weeks off at Christmas so no moving out and back in for her!
I heard the dorm's are especially overcrowded this year as a large dorm is under renovation. Alot of the double rooms are actually being tripled. At least we didn't get that - that would really be crowded.

We're on the road to DC. DD's roommate is already there since she's doing the last orientation session. Dd hatched a plan with her roommate of us to drop her stuff off later this afternoon. The official move in is tomorrow. Let's hope it works.

I hope all our kids settle in, make friends, enjoy their classes and learn to navigate living with others that aren't family.

DS just finished his first week of classes. We haven't heard too much from him but what we have heard is good. He's in a dorm this year but has already picked out an apartment for next year. he went to visit a friend and couldn't believe how nice the apartment as compared to the dorm. oh well... I still believe the dorm is the best choice for freshman.

I'm ready to go get dd. Her university made the news. Documented sexual assault on freshman girl in her dorm! I know it's there but seeing it on tv is all too real!!!

Just got back from dropping DS off for band camp. They are staying in a temporary dorm and then move into their permanent housing on Wednesday. DH will be bringing the rest of his stuff to him, but DD and I have school so today was the big day for us. I was fine until I gave him a hug goodbye and then I burst into tears.:sad:

I'm ready to go get dd. Her university made the news. Documented sexual assault on freshman girl in her dorm! I know it's there but seeing it on tv is all too real!!!

Just talked to my dd, she said she had already heard of a sexual assault on the campus coming from the Title 9 faculty member. Plus one girl in her dorm in the hospital for alcohol poisoning. Yikes!

My DD said her RA sucks. he doesn't really interact with them. They haven't really gotten together to meet the entire floor so dormies on the same floor shes on don't interect because they don't know each other. She thinks its his first time being a RA. Hopefully he steps it up! This is a Special freshman dorm that's suppose to do a lot of activities so the freshman can bond with those on their floor and building. She said 2nd and 3rd livingroom are the fun floors.

It's been a reality check for her. She said a lot of the kids are wild and talk about all the things us parents warned her about
Just talked to my dd, she said she had already heard of a sexual assault on the campus coming from the Title 9 faculty member. Plus one girl in her dorm in the hospital for alcohol poisoning. Yikes!
so scaryI wish those things didn't happen. My DD just moved in and I worry because there sick people out there. I just pray for my DD and all the girls. Sad things there's other student that are doing the sexual assault so these girl just never know who the sickos are

We moved DD into her dorm at VT this past Wednesday. Classes don't start until Monday. It went well. We got there around 12:30 PM, unloaded, moved the furniture around 5 different times, unpacked all her stuff, made the bed and then went to an early dinner. We didn't want to hang anything on the walls until her roommate got there that evening. After dinner, we met up with one of my college besties from my freshman dorm at W&M who was moving her DS in that day too. That was super fun. Then her roommate and her parents arrived. The furniture got moved a few more times; we helped them unload and then left for home, so they had room to unpack.

The roommate brought SO MUCH STUFF! DD feels like her side looks plain in comparison. Uncluttered is more like it. I did try to get DD to pick out some wall decor (other than the Wallpops I got her) and stuff but she kept saying no. She told me today that she declined all the non essentials because she felt like DH and I were already spending a fortune! Sweet girl! She was so excited to be at school and so ready that I didn't cry when we left. She is were she needs to be.

The 3.5 hour ride home turned into a 5.5 hour ride. DH had heard the main highway had tons of traffic so he decided to take a shortcut, got lost and took us way out of the way on some windy, narrow, mountainous roads. Not the best way to end an exhausting day. We got home at 12:30 AM and had to get up for work 5.5 hours later.

With classes not starting for 5 days, the kids have been having tons of fun. I have been talking to DD about excessive drinking for months now. I was a little worried she'd get carried away with the partying as she is a super social kid. While she has been partying, she has not been overdoing it. In fact, she has taken care of a few friends who have gotten out of control. The past two nights she's been in the laundry room at 2:30 AM washing puke off bedding and clothes for a couple of other kids. She says she wants to have fun, but does not want to be "that girl" (the super drunk one who makes a fool of herself, throws up every where or gets assaulted). And she said her main priority is school - so no partying on school nights, just weekends. So far so good.

Was it another student who did the sexual assault or random stranger not from campus?

Allegations are another student. When I asked dd about it, she hadn't heard. I said well it's on the news, either you go ask someone or I will! She asked security at the desk and at first they said they couldn't confirm anything. So she pulled up the video I sent her from the station and was told it was handled. Then about three hours later she forwarded me an email the school had put out about the "alleged incident described on the news". Still upsetting.

We picked DD up on Thursday to come home for something she had planned with friends. She moved into her dorm this past Monday and it was only for freshman in living theme dorms. Move in was a breeze!. Well today we took her back to her dorm and it was move in day for everyone and OMG! it was crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Next year we will make sure to move her in early . I think she said its $100 to move in early. I will pay. The traffic and parking was horrible. they had traffic cops directing traffic. Traffic security directing into parking lots. Campus dorm area was full. Our early freshman move in theme dorms was heaven compare to today. No issues with traffic or parking.

Btw- We took dd to Costco and Wal-Mart and bought her some pJ&B custables , serentinos nuts and cheese snacks and two mini frozen pizzas for her freezer. We got the Frigidaire with freezer from Best buy. She put a double mini pizza pack, a medium size pizza and some crustables and still had room. We got her the 10 meal a week plan plus it comes with $350 a semester dining $$ so she has two days she can eat from the fridge. Fridge food is for late night or when she doesn't have time to make it to the dining area.

How is everyones kids getting along with their room mates??? Mine gets a long with hers but she wants to make other friends and not always be with her roomie. Roomie is a lil immature but not in a bad way just young acting. She wants to do everything with DD. DD has met people that drink(DD doesn't drink) she said the girls she met bonded but they drink and play games in the dorm so she feels a lil left out because dd doesn't drink, party and boys. I told dd she can still hangout but doesn't have to drink. DD said no way she doesn't want to get caught in a dorm with people drinking. I guess freshman under 21 are drinking in the dorms. lucky dds dorm mate doesn't drink. DD talked to another one of her friends ant another university and her friend is dealing with her roomie having her guy friend over all the time. Made me think about all of our kids in this post and how their kids are doing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter