Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

Well this was not one of my better days- the move in was great- you pull up, open your trunk and they have a moving company that unloads you into bins, and while you are parking they bring everything up to your room and put it all in there. It was a matter of minutes! We unpacked, set everything up, decorated and then it was time to leave- I had to sit in the parking garage for a half hour until I could hold it together enough to drive- I cried the entire 2 hours to the ferry-this is way harder than I even expected it to be, I knew it would be bad but not that bad. MY daughter and I did everything together- single mom, only child- this is going to take some getting used to!!

DS had a great first week. He's a bit of an introvert, so hearing him talk about introducing himself to dozens upon dozens of new people over the last week makes my heart happy. Even happier that he is currently upstairs with his best friend who also came for the long weekend. All is right in my home at this moment. I have a couple of days to hear his voice before he leaves again.

Well this was not one of my better days- the move in was great- you pull up, open your trunk and they have a moving company that unloads you into bins, and while you are parking they bring everything up to your room and put it all in there. It was a matter of minutes! We unpacked, set everything up, decorated and then it was time to leave- I had to sit in the parking garage for a half hour until I could hold it together enough to drive- I cried the entire 2 hours to the ferry-this is way harder than I even expected it to be, I knew it would be bad but not that bad. MY daughter and I did everything together- single mom, only child- this is going to take some getting used to!!
Sorry it was so tough for you!!
HUGS!!!

what kind of doctor is seen for anxiety? My Dd has always been a perfectionist and has had some anxiety but thought it was because always trying to get the best grades. Now in college she may need some help to help her balance everything out especially with this major change of being on her own for the first time. To be honest the family was shocked she chose to go two hours away and live in dorms. Shes quiet so its a big change since we are a tight =knit family
family therapist, physiatrist, counselor???

My daughter was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder in high school. We took her to her primary care for a referral to a behavioral health professional. After researching the options, we settled on a social worker for her therapist. After looking at the profiles of the providers at the place we chose, I interviewed this woman on the phone and she just clicked with me, and then my daughter after she met her in person. When DD was put on meds, she did start seeing a psychiatrist in addition because that was who was able to prescribe. Now that she is a freshman in college, she will go to the counseling services on campus if she feels the need to see someone (she can also call her therapist). She will also come hope periodically to see the psychiatrist about the meds; she'll be home one day in October (school is 2.5 hours away).

Last edited:
Got a text from DS. Apparently they have all the rookie clarinets nicknames and this year's theme was Disney. He was given Aladdin. He thought I would appreciate that.
He said he was given Aladdin for displaying confidence. I didn't bring up the fact that Aladdin is really insecure in many ways, lol. He's come so far from the 8 year old that was so shy he was made an honorary Bashful by Snow White.

My DD has also been recently diagnosed with anxiety issues with panick attacks. She's been seeing a therapist since the spring and she's going to see start seeing someone at her school. Her therapist is writing up a request for special accommodations in testing so she has more time to take her tests. Her pediatrician also prescribed her meds to take when she feels a panick attack coming on to shut them down. It's too bad we didn't figure this out years ago so high school and ACT/AP testing would have been easier on her.

It's all very foreign to me as I'm not even much of a worrier and don't give a crap what someone else thinks of me.

DD bought her books this weekend. Some new , some used. She could have rented but I didn't really get all that and we had 8 minutes until book store closed. I was in a hurry so I just said buy and pulled out my credit card. She also did 2 price matches. She explained to me afterward renting , my bad oh well. We bought 4 book for $161 plus she got a gift card back from price matching for future purchase. We wait to get home to order two other book. one was $165 at the book store and we got it on Amazon for $43 and another book for $12 and it was $20-$25 at the book store. Her other books we bought at book store were the same price on amazon except the two she price match but it was not much. $212 for 6 books. I told her she made out. I remember when I took a Biology at a junior college and I paid $90 for a used book. we didn't have amazon or special places to buy except from the book store or other students. DD is going into teaching so some books will be good to keep as reference and others she can try selling.

DD also says she needs a TB since she will have to go into the classroom and observe. She also came home with an ingrown nail. It might be infected :/ or start of one :( 4 years ago she got two bad ones on her big toes and they had to do surgery on it or procedure whatever its called. She had to take 2-3antibiotics and after the procedure her nail fell off on one and the other looked horrible. She was devastated! We live in CA so its hot and flip flops all year round. It was freshman year of high school so it was bad. I don't want her to go through that all over again especially being two hours away. I have her soaking it in Epson salt for about 10-15 min. She watched a youtube video that said lift the nail with toothpick to relieve pressure or to give more room between nail and skin. Please pray that her pediatrician sees her for this because we don't have a family doctor for her yet plus a new doctor isn't familiar with her history. Anyone else suffer from ingrown toe nails(hers are big toe)? ANy advice until I can get her to a doctor. Taking her back today and will stop and get a plastic shoe box container, Epson salt, nail clippers. Will health center on campus be able to help her with this if I cant get her in with her Dr. . She might need an antibiotic.

She will visit again Thursday night to be here for her grandfathers weekend bday. After that, she wont be back to visit until mid October maybe.

I hope all is going well for all your babies

DD bought her books this weekend. Some new , some used. She could have rented but I didn't really get all that and we had 8 minutes until book store closed. I was in a hurry so I just said buy and pulled out my credit card. She also did 2 price matches. She explained to me afterward renting , my bad oh well. We bought 4 book for $161 plus she got a gift card back from price matching for future purchase. We wait to get home to order two other book. one was $165 at the book store and we got it on Amazon for $43 and another book for $12 and it was $20-$25 at the book store. Her other books we bought at book store were the same price on amazon except the two she price match but it was not much. $212 for 6 books. I told her she made out. I remember when I took a Biology at a junior college and I paid $90 for a used book. we didn't have amazon or special places to buy except from the book store or other students. DD is going into teaching so some books will be good to keep as reference and others she can try selling.

DD also says she needs a TB since she will have to go into the classroom and observe. She also came home with an ingrown nail. It might be infected :/ or start of one :( 4 years ago she got two bad ones on her big toes and they had to do surgery on it or procedure whatever its called. She had to take 2-3antibiotics and after the procedure her nail fell off on one and the other looked horrible. She was devastated! We live in CA so its hot and flip flops all year round. It was freshman year of high school so it was bad. I don't want her to go through that all over again especially being two hours away. I have her soaking it in Epson salt for about 10-15 min. She watched a youtube video that said lift the nail with toothpick to relieve pressure or to give more room between nail and skin. Please pray that her pediatrician sees her for this because we don't have a family doctor for her yet plus a new doctor isn't familiar with her history. Anyone else suffer from ingrown toe nails(hers are big toe)? ANy advice until I can get her to a doctor. Taking her back today and will stop and get a plastic shoe box container, Epson salt, nail clippers. Will health center on campus be able to help her with this if I cant get her in with her Dr. . She might need an antibiotic.

She will visit again Thursday night to be here for her grandfathers weekend bday. After that, she wont be back to visit until mid October maybe.

I hope all is going well for all your babies
Your DD did well with her books! Mine spent $232. Some of her profs didn't use a textbook. They used articles uploaded to a free database. What I saved with DD, I spent on DS's books! He is in a very specialized program and his books are only available at the bookstore- $900 this semester!!!

Poor kid! She might be able to be seen at her college's health services. I would have her check with them tomorrow. It sounds like you're going to want to get it seen right away before it gets out of control. She might also be able to get her TB test there. My DD had one for her PT observation last year.

My daughter's classes start on Wednesday and we have not purchased books on the advise of parents of older students. We've been told that the instructors will tell students which books they need the first day of class and to not waste money on buying them in advance.

Poor kid! She might be able to be seen at her college's health services. I would have her check with them tomorrow. It sounds like you're going to want to get it seen right away before it gets out of control. She might also be able to get her TB test there. My DD had one for her PT observation last year.

My daughter's classes start on Wednesday and we have not purchased books on the advise of parents of older students. We've been told that the instructors will tell students which books they need the first day of class and to not waste money on buying them in advance.

Enjoy reading these threads! Anyway, DS24 went to college in NJ (we live in NJ) and he needed the TB test to live in a dorm. Is that not standard in every state? Just curious.

Enjoy reading these threads! Anyway, DS24 went to college in NJ (we live in NJ) and he needed the TB test to live in a dorm. Is that not standard in every state? Just curious.
In Virginia my kids just needed a TB screening for college. If they didn't pass the screening, which was a list of questions about travel, drug use and stuff, then they needed the TB test. Both my kids passed the screening.

Dd came home for the weekend. She is only an hour and a half away. She broke down in tears saying she hasn't really met any real friends. Her roommates are very nice but she doesn't have a lot in common. I encouraged her again to start going to club meetings this week to find kids with the same interests. She has been going to campus sponsored activities but really hasn't met kids that she can make a connection with.....sigh....

Dd came home for the weekend. She is only an hour and a half away. She broke down in tears saying she hasn't really met any real friends. Her roommates are very nice but she doesn't have a lot in common. I encouraged her again to start going to club meetings this week to find kids with the same interests. She has been going to campus sponsored activities but really hasn't met kids that she can make a connection with.....sigh....
That's about where Niece is plus she hates two of her classes.

Awww, I thought on the other thread things had taken a turn for the better for your DD, but I guess that wasn't permanent :( I hope she finds her people soon. DD hasn't made it to any official activities but hopefully this week. She intended to go to Zumba with one roommate but had the time wrong and she missed it. Hoping she gets to some of the Campus Fellowship stuff too. She and her roommates did go to a pancake party at the apartment across the hall, and have joined/watched some casual sand volleyball games.

This weekend she applied online for a job at Target. She wanted "Hardline" shelf stocking, but the closest opening was apparel. We'll see if she gets an interview.

That's about where Niece is plus she hates two of her classes.
Aw, man. That really stinks. My DD is currently rushing for a sorority to try to make more friends.

I hope things get better for her soon!

Lyft question- my DD has to do observations at a local elementary school near her campus. She doesn't have a car or know the area. This is her first time being away so it's all new to her. Closes school is a mile away. She can walk two different ways 1. Busy street with lots of traffic and some run down apartments , then through residential area or 2. Part busy street passing by an area with high weeds and open broken down fence then majority of walk is through a quiet residential area.

There's busses she needs to look into or uber/ lyft came up. We started talking with sil and mil and uber has had some bad reports in news about sexual assaults. SIL said lyft is safer due to drivers get background check and uber doesn't. Is that true? Is there a way to request a female driver or it's just whoever shows up?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter