• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

The boys got back from fish camp. Neither one had a voice, from all the yell practices but both had a great time. The only issue I had was absolutely no contact for 4 days. I asked for them to send me a "proof of life" text every other day. For those of you with boys, is that too much to ask?
Once they are away at school, maybe back the "proof of life" text down to once a week. I have a boy...1 to 2 weeks between communication with either DH or me is pretty standard. If is goes any longer than that, I send a "Are you alive?" text. Sometimes (when something really good or something bad happens) we hear from him more often.

For some reason (maybe it's like he wants me to put his A papers on the fridge?) he texts me with every single grade he gets. I never asked him to do that; he just does.

Sheesh! DD is getting very cranky and argumentative! We have a big family beach trip planned this coming week with DH's family to celebrate his mom & dad's 50th wedding anniversary. DD "claims" she didn't know anything about this trip! She scheduled herself for work right smack dab in the middle of it AFTER we sat both kids down 2 weeks ago and went over the vacation plans (again) and potential work schedules. DS wanted to work both weekends because that's when he makes the most in tips. While the trip is Saturday to Saturday, we said we were fine with the 2 kids driving to the beach together on Monday and leaving Friday, so they could work both the weekends. Now DD is having a fit because we won't let her work mid week (and she will miss a friend from another school's grad party). I told her to switch with someone and take the weekend like we discussed earlier. Noooo she says; she made her last day the 10th (Thursday), so she could have 2 weeks with no work before she goes to school. She has already missed 3 weeks of work this summer due to her school Beach Week and Europe trips. She only has $1000 in the bank and most of that is grad gift money. I warned her that $1000 will not be enough spending money. DS routinely earns during the summer and goes through $2000 a school year. She WILL NOT LISTEN and just yells at me! Argggggggg!
Ugh. I would be shocked if my DD has $1000 in her bank account. She has a job this summer but spends like a sailor.

The boys got back from fish camp. Neither one had a voice, from all the yell practices but both had a great time. The only issue I had was absolutely no contact for 4 days. I asked for them to send me a "proof of life" text every other day. For those of you with boys, is that too much to ask?
Once they are away at school, maybe back the "proof of life" text down to once a week. I have a boy...1 to 2 weeks between communication with either DH or me is pretty standard. If is goes any longer than that, I send a "Are you alive?" text. Sometimes (when something really good or something bad happens) we hear from him more often.

For some reason (maybe it's like he wants me to put his A papers on the fridge?) he texts me with every single grade he gets. I never asked him to do that; he just does.
My DS is now a grown-up and I still get some sort of contact be it text, Facebook or email almost daily. When he was in college, we had a standing lunch date every Wednesday.
My DD is a whole nother matter. I ask her to "keep in touch" and I'm lucky if I hear from her once a week or longer, she is a real brat in that regard.

A friend once told me "pray for them every day and call once a week" this has proven to be very good advice.

Sheesh! DD is getting very cranky and argumentative! We have a big family beach trip planned this coming week with DH's family to celebrate his mom & dad's 50th wedding anniversary. DD "claims" she didn't know anything about this trip! She scheduled herself for work right smack dab in the middle of it AFTER we sat both kids down 2 weeks ago and went over the vacation plans (again) and potential work schedules. DS wanted to work both weekends because that's when he makes the most in tips. While the trip is Saturday to Saturday, we said we were fine with the 2 kids driving to the beach together on Monday and leaving Friday, so they could work both the weekends. Now DD is having a fit because we won't let her work mid week (and she will miss a friend from another school's grad party). I told her to switch with someone and take the weekend like we discussed earlier. Noooo she says; she made her last day the 10th (Thursday), so she could have 2 weeks with no work before she goes to school. She has already missed 3 weeks of work this summer due to her school Beach Week and Europe trips. She only has $1000 in the bank and most of that is grad gift money. I warned her that $1000 will not be enough spending money. DS routinely earns during the summer and goes through $2000 a school year. She WILL NOT LISTEN and just yells at me! Argggggggg!
Cutting the cord is tough for kids as it is for parents, the nasty is a way to push away (albeit, an immature method, but quite common)

Ugh. I would be shocked if my DD has $1000 in her bank account. She has a job this summer but spends like a sailor.
Mine too, she buys IMO stupid crap......she doesn't wear makeup but spent $50 at Ulta the other day on makeup - and Lush, ohhh my, she will drop $40 on a "mask" without blinking.

Cutting the cord is tough for kids as it is for parents, the nasty is a way to push away (albeit, an immature method, but quite common)

Mine too, she buys IMO stupid crap......she doesn't wear makeup but spent $50 at Ulta the other day on makeup - and Lush, ohhh my, she will drop $40 on a "mask" without blinking.
She came home from work, apologized for being so grumpy and told me she talked to her boss. She got out of the midweek shift and picked up some additional shifts over the next couple of weeks. She was actually listening as she was yelling and once she thought about it, she realized I was looking out for her.

We had the NY kickoff breakfast for Northeastern students today- it was nice, met a lot of the other kids and parents from the area that are going there. The rep was stressing how important it is for the college kids to have the meningitis B series of shots - we started the series and have 2 of the 3 shots so far- she gets the 3rd either Nov or Dec I forget. They also gave all the kids laundry bags, t-shirts and things to stick on their car windows.

DS is packed and we are ready to drop off tomorrow. I am a nervous wreck. He will only be an hour away but for some reason I am really stressing. I know I'll feel better once he's settled.

Wishing you all the best. Try to keep stress at a minimum. I'm sure emotions will be high.

DS is packed and we are ready to drop off tomorrow. I am a nervous wreck. He will only be an hour away but for some reason I am really stressing. I know I'll feel better once he's settled.
Best wishes! get that extra hug in!

I hope all goes well.

We had an early 18th birthday party for dd Friday night. It was pretty much the last time most of her friends will be together before they're all off to school. Lots of hugs at the end. Lots of dancing, eating and silliness before that.

It was especially bittersweet because her longest friend, who was supposed to be away, had change in plans and was able to come after all. They hugged each other for a really long time and she was the last to leave. They've been friends since we moved here just before 2nd grade.

We are home from drop off. All went well. The pre-semester week that he was going early for started right away so as we were leaving he was already busy and is up bright and early this morning for a lecture.

His room is tiny. I was so glad his roommate is not doing the same program and wasn't there yet. I can't imagine that room with 6 people trying to put stuff in it. I was happy to see he has a huge closet that can be locked.

We were a little sad on the drive home but so proud and excited for him. He is only an hour away and I'm sure he will be home.... most likely this weekend as the program is over Friday and actual move in day in not until next Wednesday.

We are home from drop off. All went well. The pre-semester week that he was going early for started right away so as we were leaving he was already busy and is up bright and early this morning for a lecture.

His room is tiny. I was so glad his roommate is not doing the same program and wasn't there yet. I can't imagine that room with 6 people trying to put stuff in it. I was happy to see he has a huge closet that can be locked.

We were a little sad on the drive home but so proud and excited for him. He is only an hour away and I'm sure he will be home.... most likely this weekend as the program is over Friday and actual move in day in not until next Wednesday.

So glad to hear that drop off went well. I'm sure it's nice knowing he will be home again in a few days :)

My daughters time for move in is sept 2nd from 10-12--- her room mates time is exactly the same, why they don't split them up I don't know- I am just hoping that maybe her room mate will only have one parent with her to drop off so there will only be the 4 of us squeezing in there!

I think that the Universities want to get parents on their way as quickly as possible. Kids can make their beds and arrange their rooms and by having a crowd in the room, the parents are encouraged to depart. :D

I think that the Universities want to get parents on their way as quickly as possible. Kids can make their beds and arrange their rooms and by having a crowd in the room, the parents are encouraged to depart. :D

My daughter's school has parent orientation drop off day. It runs the entire day with breakout sessions for all kinds of things.

Students had/have their own multi-day orientation over the summer.

We'll be going down Friday and coming home Sunday. There will be trips to target, bb&b, and groceries in there as well.

My daughter moves in on the 20th so we are flying down to Florida on the 18th. Have to go to BBB and pick up our two pack and hold orders, make a trip to Target for things we forgot to order and a grocery store run. Want to do all that Fri evening so we can try and re-group on Sat the 19th and go over everything we picked up. I was told we don't want to be near any of those stores on move in day!!!

LOL- well that is not going to happen here- I have to wait until she unpacks the suitcases to take them back home again- not going to leave them all in her dorm room. Plus they have a dinner for the students and parents that evening and some parent/kid activity so I can't go anywhere until that is done.

I read this and I felt my heart drop. I'm starting to feel it now-lol! my daughter has orientation on the 18th and move in day is the 21st. She's an only child so this will be very hard for me. I'm excited for her but my heart feels nervous.

We only have a few more things to get and we are done. She has a teen account through credit union so we had her open up a checking/saving account with debt card from BOFA. I was going to add her to my credit card but I want her to start her own credit so we did the secure credit card from Bofa with $300 deposit which she will get back in a year (aslong as she stays on track). With this card she can use for dorm laundry machines. Machines only use debt or credit card and safer to use credit card. She also cashed her check and deposited $500 to her savings and she can transfer money to her checking as needed.

BTW- she got an email stating she may be eligible for the middle class scholarship so we shall see since she got 3 scholarships for $2300. I'm hoping the scholarships she received don't affect the middle class $$ any amount will help since she didn't qualify for any financial aid

I feel like this summer has just flown by. We have 2 more weeks with dd. We're having a mother daughter shopping trip tomorrow which will be fun. I'm trying to savor these last days.

She'll be home in early October for a long weekend and then we'll go down for parent's weekend in late October. I tell myself it's just 6 weeks before I see her again. That doesn't seem so bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter