Parents, please have some courtesy......

Status
Not open for further replies.
ONe of my pet peeves with my kids is watching your phone/tablet WITHOUT headphones on.. which contradicts my other pet peeve of NOT LISTENING to me when i am talking...

I totally agree!! And I also chalk that right up there with people having full fledged conversations on their cell phone

Super annoying!!!!

I know my kids, on rare occasions, have ate at the bar.. while i stood beside them.
Lucky you and another example of inconsistent rules. We've been told on numerous occasions we could not stand behind our seated friends at the bar and order drinks. We've also been stopped at the door when there are no seats available. As you pointed out the trick must be the seated patron has to order a "shareable" item at the bar and then it's
OK to stand behind them. Guess it all depends on the bartender, the host at the door, or the alignment of the Pixie Dust at that particular moment. Although last month we were told by the bartender the whole bar area is going to change once "Reflections" is built. Hopefully expanded and for the better.

I think this discussion (as well as countless others about a variety of topics) will be one of those doomed to go on forever regarding things at Disney. Disney has some “rules”, but I think tries not to overly make rules for every little thing (so as not to put off anyone who is there for a magical carefree vacation). So, it is up to guests to use common sense and or judgement and do what they see to be fit or proper. This is all great and fine, so long as you understand the result is all of the things you see go on at Disney and the gosh knows how many threads and discussions on gosh knows how many boards about behaviors and such!! lol. Well, I guess we all need places (as emotion filled humans)to vent, give opinions and thoughts, and have communications and discussions, but I think with Disney and the huge numbers of guests and expectations that Disney seems to evoke, all of the behaviors good or poor to one person or another can generally can be looked at as “was, is, and will be”.

Back when Pleasure Island was open, we enjoyed bar and club hopping. We got an in-room sitter for DD, because we've always considered going to a bar an adult activity. She, of course, came with us to restaurants, but if we had to wait in the bar for our table, we would get a table in the bar or wait outside. We never would have sat with her on a bar stool, belly up to the bar. Adult environments aren't meant for children. Language can be colorful, and there's nothing wrong with that. People shouldn't have to censor themselves because there's a child sitting at the bar nearby.

DD is now 21, and we look forward to trying Trader Sam's in April when we go to DLR.

Isn’t the more important question here why you have come to Walt Disney Wolrd to sit in side and watch a phone or a tablet which you could have just as easily done at home?

Because while it may be the happiest place on earth, it can also be the most overstimulating. Parents are going to the bar for a little downtime, so why not allow their child the same thing? Many cannot participate in adult conversation, so the device would be a way to allow them to unwind a bit.

I don't think children should ever sit at the bar in any establishment.

That's definitely a new and modern perspective! My dad's father took him to the bar all the time. His uncle would also take a group of the kids to the bar with him, get them peanuts and pop, so he could have a drink. I mean, some people still frowned upon it. My grandma didn't like it and would tell the guys not to take kids to the bar, but people like my grandma were seen as being snobbish or uppity. Back then, everyone had kids, and kids went everywhere! If kids didn't come with you, then you simply couldn't go to those places.

Isn’t the more important question here why you have come to Walt Disney Wolrd to sit in side and watch a phone or a tablet which you could have just as easily done at home?

We're staying at the Fort for a couple days on our upcoming trip. I'm interested in checking out all that Fort Wilderness has to offer! Yes, I'm excited to check out Crockett's. Now, my husband is sober and doesn't drink. We also have two kids. What we'll probably do is grab a snack, and the three of them will get a non-alcoholic beverage while I sample an adult beverage. We'll probably take it to the outdoor area, and, when I'm done with my drink, we'll probably head to the playground. However, it'll be August, and if it's a billion degrees and humid and miserable, we might just choose to stay inside. No, we won't use phones and tablets, but it sounds like a relaxing and nice way to spend about 20 minutes all together. Sorry if that offends so many of you. In 20 minutes when we're done, the seats will be available again.

Kids aren't allowed to sit at a bar by me even accompanied by parents. This kind of reminds me of when I was on a cruise and there was another pool that was suppose to be the adult pool and it was filled with kids. Every day. There was the main pool for kids and adults. I'm not anti kid but I want to relax in the adult area without all the hectic stuff that comes with kids and that never happened. And I think bars and bar areas should be for adults. That being said, if a kid was sitting on an adult's lap I probably wouldn't freak about it, but if they took up seats that would be an issue.

Back when Pleasure Island was open, we enjoyed bar and club hopping. We got an in-room sitter for DD, because we've always considered going to a bar an adult activity. She, of course, came with us to restaurants, but if we had to wait in the bar for our table, we would get a table in the bar or wait outside. We never would have sat with her on a bar stool, belly up to the bar. Adult environments aren't meant for children. Language can be colorful, and there's nothing wrong with that. People shouldn't have to censor themselves because there's a child sitting at the bar nearby.

DD is now 21, and we look forward to trying Trader Sam's in April when we go to DLR.

Man I miss Pleasure Island.

That's definitely a new and modern perspective! My dad's father took him to the bar all the time. His uncle would also take a group of the kids to the bar with him, get them peanuts and pop, so he could have a drink. I mean, some people still frowned upon it. My grandma didn't like it and would tell the guys not to take kids to the bar, but people like my grandma were seen as being snobbish or uppity. Back then, everyone had kids, and kids went everywhere! If kids didn't come with you, then you simply couldn't go to those places.

My dad would take us to the neighborhood bar occasionally but we weren't allowed to sit at the bar. I don't know how new or modern that perspective is since I am retired. I just believe that some places are not appropriate for kids.

Wow! That’s slightly presumptuous, lol. I live in Wisconsin. Many pubs/bars very similar to Crockett’s tavern will often have children sitting at a table, or even belly up to the bar (gasp!). We, of course, we do not sit at a crowded bar with our child, but yes she has sat in my lap at one before. I would be more than open to someone asking me to turn down her tablet if it were too loud. We aren’t rude, or discourteous. It’s just part of a normal part of life where we live. But, hey, we’re less judgemental maybe.

As a side note, I’d rather sit outside, so no you’ve never seen me sitting in there with my kid. It’s Florida. I’d rather enjoy the weather most days.

I was thinking the same thing when I read the OP. If my kids didn't sit at the bar, how would we order our fish fry at the supper club? If it's busy, our kids sit and we stand.

…..and don't have your children take up bar stools at Crocket's Tavern.
Besides taking up valuable space at a bar that only has room for about 6 persons, the bartender would much rather have a customer that is spending $$$ on drinks and not a child drinking water with their computer tablet on full volume cartoons. Take your drinks and have them out on a rocker.
(That was my experience Jan. 4th)
But, of course, we live in a world where everything is about "ME ME ME".
Good night.

and your not making it about "you you you"?

I think there has been all angles discussed on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter