Parents Who Give Their Kids the World

I admit it, we too give our dd the world at least once a year for the past four years and plan to do so for as long as she will go. Thanks for reinforcing our decision.:grouphug:

I am getting married next week, and I want all of DIS to know that I have the greatest parents in the entire universe. Also I want to personally say kudos, or hats off, or just acknowledge parents who spend hours, days, weeks, and months planning the perfect Disney vacation for their little ones.

When I was four years old, my dad worked for Chevrolet. Every couple of years or so they had this promotion where if they sold a certain number of cars, they got to take their spouse or family on a trip to various places around the world. Spain, Italy, Jamaica, you name it. Those trips were generally for couples. Then there was WDW for families. Because my parents had 3 kids, they chose WDW. Every single time.

Eventually, my much-older brothers stopped going. I guess they thought they were "too old" to take trips with mom and dad. My parents, though, kept it up for me, the last free trip being when I was 14. Imagine that! Five FREE vacations to WDW, staying at some of the swankiest places Disney has to offer. Every time we would go, Dad would say (as some of you dads probably do): "This is IT! This is our last time! We're not coming back next time, so you better enjoy it!" He was only half-kidding, of course, obviously. Still, my little heart would break at his very words, so I always said, "Noooo, Dad, we'll be back. It's Disney. Anything is possible!"

Then when I was 17, I went through a very bad time. I had situational depression and I could barely get out of bed every day. So my parents thought a Disney trip would cheer me up, and they paid for the first time. We had to stay offsite, but hey - Disney is Disney. Even though it was just a few days of forgetting my sadness, it was like a breath of fresh air - what I needed to keep going and try to get better.

After that, well, we just couldn't help ourselves anymore. We came back again the next year, and swore we'd never stay offsite again. There is NOTHING like, as the Vacation Planner DVD says, "waking up in the middle of a dream" at a Disney resort.

Three years later, the tables turned. My grandmother, who had dementia, had been living with us and was gradually getting worse. My mom had to care for her 24/7, and my dad was working long hours for Chevrolet, who had long done away with their promotional Disney trips. Just for fun, I went online during the Free Dining promotion, and I posed it to them. "You need a vacation, Mom," I said. "Let's go back." They just couldn't pass it up. And this time, as an adult, I offered to pay my way.:)

When I told people (even family) that I was going to WDW with my parents, I got lots of interesting responses, most of which being "WHY?!" Apparently, they couldn't fathom why any young adult would go on vacation with just their parents, no friends, and especially to a kiddie place. I just smiled. Some people just don't get it.

While there, we had quite possibly the best trip we ever had. We took our time and enjoyed ALL of it, absolutely everything. Then, on the very last day, they surprised ME: they had planned all along to fly my boyfriend down there, and with a little pixie dust, they and Disney planned the most elaborate proposal the Magic Kingdom had ever seen. What a wonderful feeling: I got engaged at Disney. :cloud9:

I think back now, wondering how they must have felt, knowing this was the very last time they would go to WDW with their little girl. I found out later my dad and I were BOTH crying during Wishes....WDW was "our" place, our "home," and no matter what changes, we all agreed that "we will always have Disney."

Now, as I am planning my Disney-themed wedding, I get a lot more of that interesting feedback when I tell people my sweet DF and I are taking a Disneymoon: "WHY?!" And people call me "The Disney Girl" and generally make fun of the fact that I love pretty much anything Disney. One of my brother's friends even said, while we were playing volleyball the other day, "Just think Disney, Colleen! Disney Power!" thinking he had some razor-sharp wit. And while I was standing there, just thinking, he goes, "You're not singing a Disney song in your head right now, are you?"

Truth be told, maybe I was, and maybe I wasn't. I don't bother trying to explain to people why I love Disney. I don't feel I have to. It's enough for me that my parents and I have that connection, that feeling of peace and happiness, whenever we reminisce about our past trips. They have more pictures of me THERE than anywhere else, almost as if I grew up there, and then everything came full circle when my DF proposed to me there. Like Disney was giving back. When I think about it now, Disney was giving back long before then - when we stepped foot into THEIR World, they gave it to US, wrapped in pretty fireworks and hidden mickeys.

I am in some serious debt to my parents for those memories. I will never be able to give back what they have given to me. I am so thankful that I can take those with me wherever I go, and that we'll have "our place" to come back to someday. Parents, you never know what kind of lasting impression you'll make on your kids when you work tirelessly to plan these fun vacations. All that planning, all that money, all those long hours spent packing and haggling on the phone just to get that CRT reservation....someday, your kids' eyes will fill with tears at the memories they will have for a lifetime, all because you gave them The World.....

first of all, as a parent to a DD-17, I have to say thank you, still drying my tears.
second, congratulations on the upcoming wedding, we are all waiting for the photos :wizard:

Michelle in NY

:) A really really lovely story...:wizard:
brought tears to my eyes...Thank You!:thumbsup2

both of your stories- the engagement story and the story above were so moving! thank you so much for sharing them. Have a fantastic wedding and a wonderful, magical Disneymoon. How could you not??

This story made me feel so guilty. I do appreciate my parents and the many trips they took us on, however I think as an adult my husband and I would not be able to travel with my parents. Waaaaay to much stress. You have a great heart. Congratulations!
Alicia

We went to WDW tons of times when I was a kid/preteen b/c we lived in Ft. Lauderdale and would spend long weekends at the parks (of which there were only 2 back then). Last year, I went back with DMom and DSis (DDad really didn't want to go, but he wanted us to all have a good time, so he paid for everything except our souvies). I had such a great vacation with my family. My mom talks about how that was one of her favorite vacations and loves looking at our photos.
WDW dosn't hold that same pull for me as it did when I was younger, but I think that once DH and I have kids, I will probably want to go every other year or so. For now, I am enjoying traveling to different spots in the US.

What a wonderful story. I'm sure lots of us can relate to your love of Disney. I only went once as a child, but I thought it was the absolute best. When I went back when I was twenty MK was exactly how I remembered it from when I was 6 years old. MY DH never went to Disney with his family and he doesn't love Disney like the kids and I do. His first trip was with me and DD who was 2.5 at the time and it was so much better than he imagined. I guess he expecting SIx flags Great Adventure or something like that. He does still complain a bit about why we have to go to Disney every year?! Now I'm 34 and have been going with my own family since 2001. I sure do go through alot to try and make it perfect as can be for my DS3 and DD7. I love seeing Disney through there eyes! I spend alot of time on planning our vacation so they get to see and do all the really great things Disney has to offer. We are all so ready to go and we have 4 more months :sad2: .

What a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing your story. I hope my kids will treasure and appreciate our Disney trips as a family as much as you do. Your parents must have done a great job. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Wow, I am sitting at my desk with tears in my eyes over your story! My DD took my 3 brothers and I to WDW several times when we were kids. Since my DM didn't drive, poor Dad would do all of the driving from Chicago to WDW. I have some of my best childhood memories going there. My DS is going to be 10 and he has been to WDW 5 times and 4 Disney cruises! I think it is very important to make these wonderful memories. I think of my DD all the time as he has been gone for 8 years now:sad1: Whenever I am planning my Disney vacation, I think of him. :hug:

Thanks for sharing your story. :goodvibes

Oh my--LastPrincess that was a wonderful post!! I cried my way through it. We always take family vacations and are saving are alone trips for the time when we are alone! Whenever that will be!:rotfl2:

We started taking our DS to Disney when he was three and now he is a college senior at 21! Our summer family trip this year was up in the air for location and it was our DS who wanted Disney. He and DD age 10 said it is always a great family vacation at Disney. We were thinking DS wouldn't want to go--ha--he pulled out the old photos when he got home from college. We had a blast looking at all the Disney trips.

So many people ask us why we would go back so many times but I know my kids will remember all the magic times. It is just special--like your story.:love:

Have a wonderful wedding!:wizard:

What a great story. :) You put it best, my parents worked SO hard to give my sister and I the World and I can't be more grateful.

My parents both grew up dreaming about going to Disney but they could never afford to go. My mom said she loved WDW from afar for most of her life. When we were little and my parents sat down with their financial planner for the first time they told him their number one goal was to get my sister and I to WDW.

That first trip was not only the trip of our dreams for my sister and I, but probably moreso for my parents. I remember my mom riding the teacups and crying because she had always dreamt of riding them and never thought she'd get there.

It has become such a special place for all of us and I cant' be more grateful to both of them for it. :)

Tears filled my eyes reading this story. We are planning our first family vacation there and I have already told DH we will be going there every year. I have been many times but this is first for my DS who is 1.

Great post TheLastPrincess!

The Disney trips (both DL and WDW) my family took every summer for a decade are BAR NONE the best childhood memories I have. I know my parents gave up a lot to be able to afford to stay at monorail resorts, but our trips were SOOOO magical and I am so grateful. Since then my parents have been back twice by themselves, my sister went back once pre-kids, and now my wife and I are going back for probably our only pre-kids trip... but I can't wait for the day that my whole family can go back all together. (just hope we can talk my stick-in-the-mud brother into it)

What a great post Colleen! I enjoy hearing your stories of Disney. Congratulations on your wedding (just a few days now??) Don't let your brothers friends tease you about Disney;) Remember that one of them has recently become a Disney fan himself. Kids change them!! LOL Have fun at your wedding! (the screen name is of both boys names together, just in case you were wondering who this was):goodvibes

You should have posted a warning with your post: Tissue box needed... ha!
So after 6 or 10 tissues, lost count ha! I really enjoyed your story! That's exactly what I want my kids to feel... I sure hope they do and not just take it for granted! There is no where else in the world that I would love to be then Disney with my kids.... some people say, why not a nice romantic get-away, just your hubby and you!!!! The thing is, we would miss our kids so much... Like I said, there's no place I'd rather be then Disney with my loved ones...
Congratulations!!!! and again thank you for the beautiful story!

your parents must be so amazingly proud of you.

Your story touched my heart and like others - brought tears to my eyes.

I feel bad for people whom simply don't get it - they are missing so much.

My oldest is getting ready to graduate high school this Sunday. I hope she always holds Disney dear to her heart - as you have.

I wish you a magical wedding and a lifetime of happiness.

Congratulations.

:sad: Oh my gosh! That was such a touching story.

I was never able to go to Disney as a child with my family. I did get to go with my high school choir which was my first trip. I didn't go back again until years later when I was married and my daughter was 2. After a couple of family trips, her dad and I were divorced.

My parents are also divorced and my mom and I are very close. After the divorce, my mom and I began taking trips to Disney and Disney cruises with my daughter. Being a single parent is very hard and money is often tight. I work SO hard to finance these trips, but this story makes it all worthwhile, knowing the impact and special memories I am creating for my daughter.

Thanks for sharing. :hug:

That is so sweet...your parents should be so proud to have raised a daughter so full of kindness. I only wish that when my daughters (14 & 9) become your age they appreciate everything that their father and I did to make it possible for them to take WDW vacations.

I was never able to go with my family as a child...I now dream of winning the lottery and taking my parents, brothers, their wives/girlfriends, nephew and grandparents....if only that could happen!

We just returned from a trip recently...my husband worked approx 40 hours overtime in a 2 week period right before we left so he decided to increase the amount on their Disney gift cards as a suprise. I love my husband for everything he does for me and our children. :grouphug:

What a great story! I went to Disney with my parent's when I was 19 and it was a great time! You are never too old to enjoy time with family. How cool your engagement story is! I hope your wedding and honeymoon is everything you could ever hope for!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter