Parents whose kids have an Epi-pen-- school question --UPDATE

luvmy3

<font color=green>When I drink I find its easier t
My ds was recently diagnosed with a tree nut allergy and needs to carry an epi-pen on him. I was told that if I do not sign, and his allergist does not sign permission for him to administer it himself that I may have to accompany him on any field trip, or be at the school for any after-school activity he is involved in. She said most teachers will not sign off on administering it so if the nurse isn't there and the child can't do it, the parent must be there. This is all very new to us, I find it odd since I had never been told this about his inhaler. ( He has asthma and has had his albuterol at the nurses office for years). Is this normal, what do you all do if your child can't self administer it?

I do want to explain that he has been taught how to do it, but I need his doctor to sign off on it. I'm assuming he will but I don't really know since this is our first experience.

That sounds like pretty standard procedures and the only dr's I have heard of not signing off on self-administration are those that felt the kid couldn't do it on their own for one reason or another.

That sounds like pretty standard procedures and the only dr's I have heard of not signing off on self-administration are those that felt the kid couldn't do it on their own for one reason or another.

Thats good to know. Honestly I wouldn't have a problem with being at the field trips, but with 2 other kids after-school programs could be a problem, plus what would I do if I worked?

I know in my state children are not allowed to carry their epi-pen on their person while they are in school. Now worst case scenerio, if my ds ate a nut and had a severe reaction and wasn't able to get to the nurse, it could mean his life. During anaphylaxis a child may not be able to administer it him/herself regardless if it was in their backpack and doctor gave them permission. I guess I'm more shocked and saddened that a teacher wouldn't sign off to administer the dose and/or keep a students epi-pen in their classroom.
I have a whole new view and respect of parents who have to deal with their child's life threatening allergy, it certainly isn't easy.

My daughter has an epipen for tree nut allergies. The school will not allow her to carry it on her so it is kept in the nurses office. In elementary school the teachers knew how to use it (and the nurse's office was close by.) When they went on any field trips the school would hire a nurse to go along for any kids with medical issues.

Now she is in middle school -- the epipen is still kept in the nurses office, but on the first day of school she was allowed to bring it to school in her backpack and to deliver it to the nurse. She knew to keep it in her backpack and not let anyone see/play with it.

Thats good to know. Honestly I wouldn't have a problem with being at the field trips, but with 2 other kids after-school programs could be a problem, plus what would I do if I worked?

I know in my state children are not allowed to carry their epi-pen on their person while they are in school. Now worst case scenerio, if my ds ate a nut and had a severe reaction and wasn't able to get to the nurse, it could mean his life. During anaphylaxis a child may not be able to administer it him/herself regardless if it was in their backpack and doctor gave them permission. I guess I'm more shocked and saddened that a teacher wouldn't sign off to administer the dose and/or keep a students epi-pen in their classroom.
I have a whole new view and respect of parents who have to deal with their child's life threatening allergy, it certainly isn't easy.

REALLY???? WOW if that isn't a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I can TOTALLY understand teachers not wanting the liability of administering an epi-pen. Look at the grief they get if they give a kid an F on a paper, imagine what would happen if they didn't administer the epi right or in time. They aren't trained medical personal and I wouldn't expect them to be.

Also, I raised a bit of a fuss in elementary school when my daughter was diagnosed. The afterschool program (run by the PTA) does not have a nurse available -- which I understand. It is a benefit run by the PTA and it is inexpensive and fun for the kids. I asked that the nurses office be kept unlocked in case they had to get in there. I know that some of the people leading the classes offered snacks so I asked what type of snack so I could make sure my daughter would be okay. I said I would send in a snack for my child if neccessary -- so this way the other kids wouldn't be affected by my daughter's allergies. I got a phone call from the PTA -- from a friend of mine actually -- sort of suggesting that perhaps my child not participate. But she is not the only child in the school with allergies and her's are not severe. As long as she didn't eat anything she was allergic too she would be fine. I reminded my friend that not including the child with allergies might be seen as discriminatory.

In the end it was fine. Most of the teachers didn't serve snacks because they had to pay for them with their own money and they didn't get paid much to teach a afterschool class to begin with. The teacher who gave a snack had popcorn or pretzels both of which were fine with the allergies.

I can TOTALLY understand teachers not wanting the liability of administering an epi-pen. Look at the grief they get if they give a kid an F on a paper, imagine what would happen if they didn't administer the epi right or in time. They aren't trained medical personal and I wouldn't expect them to be.

ITA with the bolded. When my ds was first diagnosed with asthma, kids weren't allowed to carry their inhaler, but that has since changed (although its still school policy to keep it at the nurse). I assume that the epi-pen law will soon follow.

The alternative of a teacher not administering the pen, and the child not having it because its at the nurses office, or not being able to themself, is most likely death for that child.

My son has carried an epi-pen for the last 4 years.
He has one that he keeps at home, one in the nurse's office at school, and one that he carries around in his backpack.
His doctor signed off for self adminstration, which is why hes allowed to have the backpack one at school. And we have to put on record at the beginning of each school year where he will be carrying it....so that in an emergency, someone can quickly locate the closest epi-pen.

At the beginning of the school year, any teacher who has a student in any class, who carries an epi-pen, has to attend a brief (maybe 10 min) class on how to adminsiter the epi-pen. Ive never heard of a teacher refusing to participate. I've heard them say that they dont ever want to have to administer one......well, neither do I !

The only limitation that we have here, is that if he's on a field trip, he cannot be assigned to a group with a parent chaperone other than myself. (since other parents are not "trainined" with an epi-pen) So if I don't go, he is assigned to a group led by a teacher, or other employee of the school system.......which isnt always a popular idea!

Far worse for us than dealing with the school, was making sure that Scout leaders (that take him into the woods for a week at a time!), friends' parents (where he spending the night) and coaches understood what to do in an emergency. People who are not used to delaing with those kind os health issues are really indimidated by epi-pens for some reason. But we've never encountered anyone who refused the responsibility....and after the firstr month or so, no one even thinks about it anymore.

Yes, that's pretty much standard operating procedure. In our state, teachers can be trained as "Medical Assistants" to be able to carry a child's Epi-pen (and other meds) on field trips. This makes it possible for us to go on trips without our registered nurse. The training also gives us immunity to lawsuits.

In fact, we just got back from a field trip, and I had to carry one of my student's pens. I was the only teacher who was allowed to have access to it, since I'm the only one who is a medical assistant. I had to sign it out and sign it back in. Had I not been able to go on the field trip today, we would have had to cancel.

My son has carried an epi-pen for the last 4 years.
He has one that he keeps at home, one in the nurse's office at school, and one that he carries around in his backpack.
His doctor signed off for self adminstration, which is why hes allowed to have the backpack one at school. And we have to put on record at the beginning of each school year where he will be carrying it....so that in an emergency, someone can quickly locate the closest epi-pen.

At the beginning of the school year, any teacher who has a student in any class, who carries an epi-pen, has to attend a brief (maybe 10 min) class on how to adminsiter the epi-pen. Ive never heard of a teacher refusing to participate. I've heard them say that they dont ever want to have to administer one......well, neither do I !

The only limitation that we have here, is that if he's on a field trip, he cannot be assigned to a group with a parent chaperone other than myself. (since other parents are not "trainined" with an epi-pen) So if I don't go, he is assigned to a group led by a teacher, or other employee of the school system.......which isnt always a popular idea!

Far worse for us than dealing with the school, was making sure that Scout leaders (that take him into the woods for a week at a time!), friends' parents (where he spending the night) and coaches understood what to do in an emergency. People who are not used to delaing with those kind os health issues are really indimidated by epi-pens for some reason. But we've never encountered anyone who refused the responsibility....and after the firstr month or so, no one even thinks about it anymore.

I do have to say that I haven't asked ds's teacher directly but when the nurse asked me who is teacher was, she said "Oh yes if the past is any guide she won't". I don't expect every teacher to go out of their way to and take training but I would think that in a state where a child can't carry the medication on their person that a teacher with those kids in their class would be required to have the medication available and be taught how to use it just in case. Its so simple, and if an 8 year old boy can do it, and I can do it, a teacher with no medical training can too.

Luckily my ds knows what he can and can't eat and his allergy is mild compared to others. The epi-pen is obviously a precaution and the chances of him ever having to use it are pretty low. I just don't know how parents who have extremely high risk kids deal with all this stuff.

A big THANK YOU to all the teacher's who aren't required too, but who are willing and train to administer the epi-pen to their students.

I am a teachers aide and there is a child who has an epipen. It is carried around by the teacher or myself ( whoever is with the child). No, I don't want to have to do it, but who does? I will do everything in my power to make sure a child is safe. I am not willing to wait minutes while a child is having a reaction while someone goes to the nurses office.
Eta: I do not want the child to need the epipen, I have no problems carrying it and using it if I have to

It's sad but, when you see all the crazy lawsuits that parents bring against schools and teachers I don't blame them. They have to protect themselves from sue happy parents. I use to teach special ed and frankly I would have had no problem admistering a epi in a life threatning situation, but I would never have signed anything before hand that said I was responsible for the administration.

DD has a nut allergy and had a reaction a few weeks ago. It took 90 minutes for a full blown reaction to occur with wheezing and lethargy. I don't know all there is to know about allergies, but don't think it's necessary for a child to carry an epi-pen on them if there is a nurse a few seconds/minutes away. ??

DD has a nut allergy and had a reaction a few weeks ago. It took 90 minutes for a full blown reaction to occur with wheezing and lethargy. I don't know all there is to know about allergies, but don't think it's necessary for a child to carry an epi-pen on them if there is a nurse a few seconds/minutes away. ??

The problem with allergies is that they can get progressively worse without warning. Your DD's next attack might happen in seconds and it might happen in 2 hours, you have no way of knowing.

The problem with allergies is that they can get progressively worse without warning. Your DD's next attack might happen in seconds and it might happen in 2 hours, you have no way of knowing.

True as DDs first reaction was just facial hives and the second was hives everywhere plus wheezing and lethargy, but I also don't think she needs to have pen on her body...not when the nurse in 30 seconds away.

This was OT, but I saw another poster talking about it and wanted to jump in. OP, good luck with your allergies. :hug:

It's sad but, when you see all the crazy lawsuits that parents bring against schools and teachers I don't blame them. They have to protect themselves from sue happy parents. I use to teach special ed and frankly I would have had no problem admistering a epi in a life threatning situation, but I would never have signed anything before hand that said I was responsible for the administration.

Its ironic because if you didn't sign anything and administered it I assume that parent would have a stronger case to sue. If you sign the law would probably protect you from being sued like a pp mentioned. I'm going to check what our District does in the case where a teacher signs, I imagine the parent gives up any right to sue, isn't that how it works when we allow the school nurse to administer medication :confused3

This is what is so scary about children not having their pens or someone close to them like the teacher willing to administer it.

True as DDs first reaction was just facial hives and the second was hives everywhere plus wheezing and lethargy, but I also don't think she needs to have pen on her body...not when the nurse in 30 seconds away.

This was OT, but I saw another poster talking about it and wanted to jump in. OP, good luck with your allergies. :hug:

Sorry about your dd, it must have been scary to go through that, and I hope she doesn't have to ever again :hug: She was lucky that her symptoms weren't instant and she had time to get to the nurse, or the nurse to her.
My ds's classroom is on the second floor and the nurses is on the bottom floor on the other side of the building. There are kids in our school with much more sever allergies and thats too far when seconds count.

What is the big deal about knowing how to use an Epi-Pen???

I have a niece who is allergic to bee/wasp stings and when she stays with us, she carries what is affectionately known in our family as the "snake-bite kite". We made a big joke of the name...so I would remember to bring it with us.

And, I coach a high school team with one girl who has tree nut/peannut allerrgies. Before our team went on a 6 day trip to the national finals, I had her mom give me the "quick once-over" on administering the epi-pen. This girl carried her backpack everywhere with her, and was able to self diagnose. I just think her mom felt better knowing that Iknew what to do.

People...really it isn't that hard of a concept. And..after you administer the pen, you call 911 or get to an ER if one is convenient, so you'll get professional medical help PRONTO.

The epi-pen was designed for the non-medical professional.

In Georgia, we all get trained to use one at an in-service. They are simple to use. I'm not sure why a teacher wouldn't agree? I know-liability, but I'd rather be trained and know how to help than watch one of my students struggle or worse. Anyway, we aren't given a choice at my school. We have a large special needs population and also many kids with epi-pens. We all know how to do it. We hope we never need to. Good luck. I guess I just figure there's a reason why I have liability insurance. Others certainly will have valid points on the other side of the issue. I'm not really negating that. OP doesn't seem to be either.

Just like MinnieMama, we (all school staff) got trained in the use of an Epi-pen. The idea is that you may be on duty or just be there when a kid as an episode. I think it just makes common sense for everyone to know how to use it (just like I believe that everyone should know CPR and how to work an AED device).:cutie:

I asked this question back in June because an incoming 4th grader in my school has an epi-pen. He is actually now in one of my classes. I knew nothing about epi-pens and administering them so I wanted to know about my liability. You would've thought I said I wanted to kill the kid. It's a shame that that is the first thing that comes to mind, but I've heard too many teachers and principals talk about lawsuits in which they have been blamed for things in the school setting. I wanted to know ahead of time what my liability would be because at my school it was a voluntary thing. Since we have 4 classes in my grade, they wanted to put the child in the room with a teacher that was okay with administering it, if needed.

As far as field trips, we had a girl last year that was diabetic. They originally told her mother that she had to come on all the trips. The nurse couldn't come with us because there were other kids in the building that had diabetes or needed medications given at certain times during the day that we would be gone. The mother did come on the first trip but she wasn't able to come on the others. The mother called the principal and he told the nurse that she couldn't withhold the trip from the girl because of a medical condition. The mother was told that the girl herself would have to check her levels and then call the nurse to let her know. The teachers were not to participate in any of it. If she needed insulin, the nurse would let one of the teachers know and the girl would need to give it to herself. She also sent us with juice and cookies for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter