Parents, would you be okay with this?

I think it depends on the goal. If you are out to punish a child for not participating then this is a way to do it.
If you want them to learn about music, enjoy the class -then I think there might be better ways.

I think the biggest difference between doing this and a math problem is math seems like something you can correct- I am not so sure about singing? Some people are just tone deaf.

Actually if I were a teacher I am not sure I would call a child that I knew was struggling with math to do a problem on the board either. I think you would learn more one on one or some other way where you didn't have the added stress of everyone watching you.

I think even if you're a bad singer, it's probably important to demonstrate that you know the lyrics.

Let's abolish gym class then. Think of all the stress these poor kids are under when they have to make a basket playing basketball, hit a ball playing softball or baseball, catch a ball in football, or run around the track. :scared: AND everyone else is watching? The horror! :scared1:

But aren't you usually doing those things (playing football etc..) either with a group or along side someone else who is doing it? I am not saying this music teacher is terrible -I am just questioning if this is the BEST way.
Also some of my PE experiences were horrible. If you are THAT kid the one that is a terrible singer, or the one that can't put chew gum and walk at the same time then thee things aren't just mildly embarrassing - they can be soul crushing.

But aren't you usually doing those things (playing football etc..) either with a group or along side someone else who is doing it? I am not saying this music teacher is terrible -I am just questioning if this is the BEST way.
Also some of my PE experiences were horrible. If you are THAT kid the one that is a terrible singer, or the one that can't put chew gum and walk at the same time then thee things aren't just mildly embarrassing - they can be soul crushing.

And so it was in this case. Until the kid decided not to do it as part of the group.

All our fitness tests were done individually.

Let's abolish gym class then. Think of all the stress these poor kids are under when they have to make a basket playing basketball, hit a ball playing softball or baseball, catch a ball in football, or run around the track. :scared: AND everyone else is watching? The horror! :scared1:

The PE you're describing above is what we had when I was a kid. And I LOVED it because I was a jock.

But my kids aren't. And thank goodness PE, at least here, has changed. The kids have several options in each PE class. They can do the main activity, or play on the playground, or run or walk the track. There seems to be a huge emphasis on movement, but less so on traditional sports. They've eliminated the humiliation part of it by de-emphasizing the competitive part.

I distinctly recall gym class as being worse.

We were constantly being singled out for not being good enough. Whether it was because the "captains" of the teams picked me last, or because each student had to individually try to attain a goal (baskets in a hoop) to be tested.

And let's not forget the game Dodgeball, where if the other students didn't like you, they'd all focus on you!

I have to say I disagree with the teacher's method. At school I loved music, played an instrument in a band, was in several (auditioned) choirs and musicals. Music was a big part of my identity and it brought me a lot of happiness and even allowed me to travel the world. However, while music was a necessity for me, it isn't for a lot of kids and certainly isn't as essential to education as reading or maths or to life in general as PE (promoting a healthy lifestyle, etc.). Consequently, I don't see any good reason to force kids to participate, and certainly not to humiliate them in the process. I can only see this making kids hate and fear music, and to see singing a solo as a punishment. While I enjoyed singing and was pretty good at it, I hated singing by myself in front of small groups and this would have put me right off music altogether. I think the teacher needs to find ways to make the kids enjoy singing and actually want to perform - whether it be through having songs the kids enjoy, rewarding good behaviour or allowing kids to perform something of their own choice, either solo or in a small group. If lip synching continues to be a problem, she could get the suspects to stand in front, spreading the kids out further and wandering around the room or getting smaller groups to sing the solo (e.g, just the boys, or just the 2nd row, etc.). I think her current technique is borderline bullying and will put kids off music long term, which would be a real shame.

I agree with this post.

It's always amazing to me how the DISboards loves shaming kids, applauding when they are humiliated.

This is a lousy way to teach anything.

I don't think they force you to make a basket. The kid is probably not singing b/c they know they can't, so being forced to solo IS soul crushing. Maybe you wouldn't understand if you weren't that type of personality where you are afraid to sing out loud even in the group.

I'd rather fail the music class, and as the parent of an awkward child who has some anxiety issues I would rather he fails too.

He does have to do the oral reports and math at the board (and he is fine at that), but singing solo is different. It just is, and I feel it is cruel to use that as punishment.

I agree with this post.

It's always amazing to me how the DISboards loves shaming kids, applauding when they are humiliated.

So interesting how people can see totally different things. I find the opposite is true here. So many parents seem to take everything their kid tells them as the absolute truth, every kid is just a shy sweet little darling who needs special attention to be motivated, no kid should ever have to do something they find uncomfortable or they will be traumatized for life.
Of course all the other kids are just vicious little bullies, waiting to pounce at the slightest thing. Teachers are cruel and enjoy coming up with ways to crush souls. None of them know how to teach or motivate either.

I don't think they force you to make a basket. The kid is probably not singing b/c they know they can't, so being forced to solo IS soul crushing. Maybe you wouldn't understand if you weren't that type of personality where you are afraid to sing out loud even in the group.

I'd rather fail the music class, and as the parent of an awkward child who has some anxiety issues I would rather he fails too.

He does have to do the oral reports and math at the board (and he is fine at that), but singing solo is different. It just is, and I feel it is cruel to use that as punishment.
You would rather your child not try, give up and fail than sing with the class? What does that teach about growing up and dealing with life? How does that help a child?

Also, you are projecting. There could be a ton of different reasons a kid isn't singing with the rest of the class. There's no reason to jump to the only reason is the kid has anxiety issues and is ashamed of his/her singing ability.

I agree with this post.

All the kids have to do is make an effort to actually participate. I think using words like shaming and humiliating are over the top. If it happened to my kid I'd be disappointed in her for creating the issue in the 1st place.

I agree with this post.

Is this used as a teaching method or as a punishment (for those that aren't doing the work)?

And who said anyone "loves" this method?

What would your reaction be if your child came home and said "The teacher made me get in front of the entire class and do a math problem on the board! No one else had to do it! Just me, and it was HUMILIATING!"?

Then you question the teacher and find out your student was actually reading a comic book (or doodling or writing notes or whatever) instead of doing the lesson?

For me, "Suck it up buttercup and pay attention. Then you won't have to go to the front of the class."

So many parents seem to take everything their kid tells them as the absolute truth, every kid is just a shy sweet little darling who needs special attention to be motivated, no kid should ever have to do something they find uncomfortable or they will be traumatized for life.
Of course all the other kids are just vicious little bullies, waiting to pounce at the slightest thing. Teachers are cruel and enjoy coming up with ways to crush souls. None of them know how to teach or motivate either.

I agree, god forbid the kid has to do what they are supposed to do to begin with. It's a music class....sign the song as part of the group and you wont have to do the "solo".

If teachers dont teach, parents complain....when they do try to teach, parents complain.

It's not humiliation....it's a kid being called out for not doing his work. In a music class you need to sing, it's not that difficult. If the teacher called out the kid cause they were a sucky singer, that's a different story -- and not the case here.

Too many parents coddle their kids today and dont let them hear the word 'no' or let them know they arent the greatest at everything they do.

In life you will fail, it's better your kid learn that at 10 then when they are out in the real world and dont know how to handle the fact that they dont get a trophy just for showing up.

I would have a HUGE problem with this. My daughter is very shy and has extreme anxiety issues. I'm afraid this would make her terrified to go to class and she'd end up not liking school because of it. I think that teacher needs to rethink their teaching methods....

Is this used as a teaching method or as a punishment (for those that aren't doing the work)?

And who said anyone "loves" this method?

What would your reaction be if your child came home and said "The teacher made me get in front of the entire class and do a math problem on the board! No one else had to do it! Just me, and it was HUMILIATING!"?

Then you question the teacher and find out your student was actually reading a comic book (or doodling or writing notes or whatever) instead of doing the lesson?

For me, "Suck it up buttercup and pay attention. Then you won't have to go to the front of the class."

Oh come on, this is the dis. Clearly the child was reading the comic book because s/he is gifted and bored. Obviously it's the teacher's fault for not knowing how to motivate the class. ;)

Naturally, anytime there's a topic regarding school and teachers, the usual suspects are on it with the usual black-or-white responses. Either the teacher is doling out cruel and unusual punishment or they're doing exactly what they should be doing. :rolleyes1

I would have a HUGE problem with this. My daughter is very shy and has extreme anxiety issues. I'm afraid this would make her terrified to go to class and she'd end up not liking school because of it. I think that teacher needs to rethink their teaching methods....

Then simply make sure your daughter knows that she needs to be paying attention in class and participating when instructed to do so.

People, you're all taking the word of a 10-11 year old that the teacher is actually doing as the op reported. I'm pretty certain there are some important details not being reported.

You would rather your child not try, give up and fail than sing with the class? What does that teach about growing up and dealing with life? How does that help a child?

Also, you are projecting. There could be a ton of different reasons a kid isn't singing with the rest of the class. There's no reason to jump to the only reason is the kid has anxiety issues and is ashamed of his/her singing ability.

There is also no reason to jump to the excuse that the kid is just bad and not singing for defiance.

I would encourage my ds to sing with the gruop, but I assure you being forced to sing solo would not help anything or make it easier. That sort of thing pushes an introvert father into themselves. It can also make important social skills (like oral presentations) harder and cause more anxiety not less.

It makes you more self conscious.

There is also no reason to jump to the excuse that the kid is just bad and not singing for defiance.

I would encourage my ds to sing with the gruop, but I assure you being forced to sing solo would not help anything or make it easier. That sort of thing pushes an introvert father into themselves. It can also make important social skills (like oral presentations) harder and cause more anxiety not less.

It makes you more self conscious.

Where did I jump to the conclusion the kid is just bad or defiant? There's a huge space between defiant and anxiety issues.

So you're OK with your child doing presentations in front of others in SOME classes but not others? What about those kids who have "performance anxiety"? Should they be excused from giving reports in all classes?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter