Park arrival time for RD for these rides...

traveler000mkl

Earning My Ears
We are D-20 and so excited!

We have six park days and some days are RD and other days mid-morning start. These are the planned time of park arrival (we are arriving by the Disney bus) for us - are these reasonable to get to the rides we are hoping to RD or FP? Fortunately, I was able to get FP for the headliners (FOP, SDD, 7DMT) so I hope our RD's are easier...

Day 1 - EP (opens 9am) - RD Soarin' - Arrive at 8:40
Day 2 - MK (opens 9am) - RD Space Mountain - Arrive at 8:30 - I assume if we see the opening show, we won't be able to do SM with short wait?
Day 3 - EP (opens 9am) - FP Test track 10:15, we want to ride it no later than 10:30 - Arrive at 10
Day 4 - AK (EMH 7am ) - RD N'avi - Sigh... we will try to be there 6:45am but if we arrive later and line is longer than 30 minutes, we will just try as a 4th FP. After Navi, we plan to do Dinosaur and Triceratops before FP EE at 9
Day 5 - MK (opens 9am) - FP Splash mountain 10:40 - Arrive at 10:15
Day 6 - HS (opens 9am) - RD Toy story, then AS2 before FP SSD at 10:20 - Arrive at 8:30

We are D-20 and so excited!

We have six park days and some days are RD and other days mid-morning start. These are the planned time of park arrival (we are arriving by the Disney bus) for us - are these reasonable to get to the rides we are hoping to RD or FP? Fortunately, I was able to get FP for the headliners (FOP, SDD, 7DMT) so I hope our RD's are easier...

Day 1 - EP (opens 9am) - RD Soarin' - Arrive at 8:40
Day 2 - MK (opens 9am) - RD Space Mountain - Arrive at 8:30 - I assume if we see the opening show, we won't be able to do SM with short wait?
Day 3 - EP (opens 9am) - FP Test track 10:15, we want to ride it no later than 10:30 - Arrive at 10
Day 4 - AK (EMH 7am ) - RD N'avi - Sigh... we will try to be there 6:45am but if we arrive later and line is longer than 30 minutes, we will just try as a 4th FP. After Navi, we plan to do Dinosaur and Triceratops before FP EE at 9
Day 5 - MK (opens 9am) - FP Splash mountain 10:40 - Arrive at 10:15
Day 6 - HS (opens 9am) - RD Toy story, then AS2 before FP SSD at 10:20 - Arrive at 8:30
D1-Arrive 8:20.
D2-Viewing opening show won't affect Space Mtn. arrival very much.
D3-OK.
D4- Na'vi is really not much of a "problem" as it is really not much of a "ride" (IMO, a snoozer.)
D5-OK.
D6-Arrive 8:15.

The REAL problem with arrival times is that guests have no way to accurately manage
their ACTUAL arrival times. (Traffic delays, security back-ups, unexpected crowd conditions, etc.)
Far too many "unknowns" to allow accurate travel computations/expectations.
At WDW, it is better to arrive far too EARLY, than it is to arrive one minute too late.

One way to parallel this is to compare it to how travelers "time their arrival" at an airport.
The vagaries of the number of steps involved (check-in, baggage handling, security delays)
to get to their departure gate on time can be daunting. Arrive early.

Last edited:
Day 6 arrival is too late. TSL could already be open at 8:30 and you'll be behind the crowds already inside. Robo's suggestion of 8:15 is better, but I would want to be there around 8:00 to make that wait for TSM a little shorter. You may end up with some time to "waste" before your FP+, but you may also get a second ride on TSM and AS2. OR you may hit a drop in the initial rush to SDD and get an extra ride there as standby before your FP+.

Since you are using Disney transportation, you'll want to be AT THE BUS STOP at least one hour before your desired arrival time.

For Day 4 - AK. If you really do arrive as early as you plan - think about maybe getting a second ride on FOP during EMH (SO WORTH IT!!) .. probably more worth it than Nav'i and if you are close to the front of the line for FOP you could probably do Navi after without much of a wait.

Thank you everyone for your inputs.. We will plan to arrive earlier on the days suggested!

@Alli76 - I think you are right! If we really make it at 645, we might be able to do FOP on stand by! We have FP later in the morning, but we haven't been to AK since Pandora opened and the kids are most excited about riding FOP!

I think at least me and DS8 would be up for early morning if it means one extra ride of FOP! DH and DS5 will be a different story....

For Day 4 - AK. If you really do arrive as early as you plan - think about maybe getting a second ride on FOP during EMH (SO WORTH IT!!) .. probably more worth it than Nav'i and if you are close to the front of the line for FOP you could probably do Navi after without much of a wait.

Similar to the OP, we are planning to RD AK with the hopes of getting on FOP. The park opens at 8 with 7:00 EMH. We will be there for the EMH. The OP mentioned arriving at 6:45; just 15 minutes before opening. It sounds like you're saying our chances of getting on FOP are pretty good. I realize that's not really a question, but just looking for additional comments/suggestions.

Thank you everyone for your inputs.. We will plan to arrive earlier on the days suggested!

@Alli76 - I think you are right! If we really make it at 645, we might be able to do FOP on stand by! We have FP later in the morning, but we haven't been to AK since Pandora opened and the kids are most excited about riding FOP!
Similar to the OP, we are planning to RD AK with the hopes of getting on FOP. The park opens at 8 with 7:00 EMH. We will be there for the EMH. The OP mentioned arriving at 6:45; just 15 minutes before opening. It sounds like you're saying our chances of getting on FOP are pretty good. I realize that's not really a question, but just looking for additional comments/suggestions.

NO. If you want to ride FoP at rope drop, even for a 7 a.m. EMH, you need to be there no later than 6:15. The original post was arrival time for Na'vi and 6:45 would probably be okay for that.

Now, if you're talking about the Sep/Oct time frame where every day has an early EMH, that may make a difference, but until that starts happening and there are reports back, no one knows what will happen to FoP line on those early mornings.

I will defer to the experts who have done it way more than me. Based on my way more limited experience arriving at 6:45 (that means through security) would definitely mean a wait at FOP - but our thoughts was a worthwhile and not a totally crazy wait and Nav'i afterward was still ok. Could be we just got lucky.

I will defer to the experts who have done it way more than me. Based on my way more limited experience arriving at 6:45 (that means through security) would definitely mean a wait at FOP - but our thoughts was a worthwhile and not a totally crazy wait and Nav'i afterward was still ok. Could be we just got lucky.
How long did you have to wait for FOP when arrived at 6:45am?

How long did you have to wait for FOP when arrived at 6:45am?
Aside from your physical wait time outside of the park and waiting to get in, your actual wait time in the queue for FOP shouldn't be more than 10-15 minutes, assuming you head right there at RD and get on it right away. If you're at the back of the pack though, you've kind of lost your advantage.

I agree with Robo. The discussions of 'arrive' never have enough information to discuss them intelligently. Some mean 'park their car at...'. Where others mean 'past security & at ticket turnstiles...' And others mean 'our whole party is inside the gate, we've all had a bathroom/food/beverage stop & we're being held by a rope on a sidewalk...' You'll have to be more clear about where exactly you plan to be at these times.

Last edited:
Aside from your physical wait time outside of the park and waiting to get in, your actual wait time in the queue for FOP shouldn't be more than 10-15 minutes, assuming you head right there at RD and get on it right away. If you're at the back of the pack though, you've kind of lost your advantage.

I see this a bit differently. If you are anywhere in the rope drop pack, even the back. You have a HUGE advantage still. I have been at the very back of a RD crowd & still emerged from FOP at opening time (for EMH). It just goes that quick at that time of day.

If you get held up at all from walking into Pandora, you are in a good position & there are thousands that are about to walk into the park within the next half hour.

I agree with Robo. The discussions of 'arrive' never have enough information to discuss them intelligently. Some mean 'park their car at...'. Where others mean 'past security & at ticket turnstiles...' And others mean 'our whole party is inside the gate, we've all had a bathroom/food/beverage stop & we're being held by a rope on a sidewalk. You'll have to be more clear about where exactly you plan to be at these times.
I was thinking "arrive at the gate by the bus" time. So would still need to get through security, turnstile and walk up to the rope. Maybe I need to add more time in general for that?

I was thinking "arrive at the gate by the bus" time. So would still need to get through security, turnstile and walk up to the rope. Maybe I need to add more time in general for that?

Yes! Expect a line for security & another line at ticket turnstiles. Also, for morning EMH, you have to wait in yet another line to tap your ticket or MB again to confirm your party is eligible to enter & use EMH. For AK, this is to your left. Then once through those 3 lines you can proceed to Pandora to line up for RD. For MK, its to your right at the hub end of Main St.

I think if you go back to your original post & change the perspective to 'we'll be off the bus, thru security & ticket booths/EMH tap-in & on the sidewalk that leads to said ride by XYZ time' you'll be much closer to accomplishing your goals. Getting off a bus 20 min before an opening time is just not the same as being on a sidewalk toward a ride at 20 min before opening (30+ min for FOP & SDD)

I think if you go back to your original post & change the perspective to 'we'll be off the bus, thru security & ticket booths/EMH tap-in & on the sidewalk that leads to said ride by XYZ time' you'll be much closer to accomplishing your goals. Getting off a bus 20 min before an opening time is just not the same as being on a sidewalk toward a ride at 20 min before opening (30+ min for FOP & SDD)
Thank you... So add 30 min for security & ticket turnstile & EMH tap in for AK, etc? Would that be sufficient? Too much? Too little? Thanks for helping. We didn't really RD last time we were there, so I am unfamiliar..

The way RD for SM is currently set up, you'll be offset from a front & center view of the show but you can still see it & certainly hear it. To me it is a time filler diversion & very short so not worth jockeying for a position, but if its important to your group, you can stay in the middle hub to watch & be at the back of the RD crowd. As others have said, that won't affect much.

Thank you... So add 30 min for security & ticket turnstile & EMH tap in for AK, etc? Would that be sufficient? Too much? Too little? Thanks for helping. We didn't really RD last time we were there, so I am unfamiliar..

I plan to be there next week & also have a 7am EMH RD FOP plan. So, I'm thinking WWID?? In general, all lines are shorter the earlier it is, this includes security & tickets. I've done this maybe 10+ times & here's what I'm aiming for. Get off bus between 6-6:10 (my resort is a quick 10min bus ride, yours maybe longer). Be past security by 6:20. I expect to be held at ticket turnstiles & they won't be open yet. The crowd here will build. At around 6:30 they'll open for tickets & because the EMH tap in is only slightly slower than tickets, there won't be much back up here. Then walk to Pandora & wait for RD, which will be around 6:40. Walking off ride by 7:10 at the latest. YMMV, of course, & on a dime WDW could change their opening practice. But this is roughly what I've been experiencing. Hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter