Park hop with 6 year old?

Boardwalk_bride

Married in WDW :)
So, I went against advice and didn't book park hopper tickets. I didn't think, and still don't know, if we need them. Looking for advice on whether or not people prefer park hoping with a (newly) 6 year old?

For context, we will be in Anaheim for 7 nights. Plan is: DL/DCA/ OC beach tour / DL / DL (or back to DCA) / Hollywood tour. Two days in DCL are closing at 8 for ticketed events.

We are coming from EST time and will probably somewhat stick to a timeline in between (so for 6 y/o, up around 6am, bed around 7pm). We are not within a walking distance for her (Hampton Inn and Suites). Once she goes back to the hotel, she'll probably just want to swim. She can easily do 6-7 hour days at Canada's Wonderland, which is a lot of walking, probably more if we let her.

One parent would plan to bring her back, one would stay each night. So, we could potentially add them just for us? Not sure if its worth it for that.

I'm trying to make loose park plans and am back and forth on whether or not to plan to 'hop' and pay to add that.

TIA!

Have you been to Disneyland before? If not, have you looked at the map to see how close the two parks are to each other? That might help you decide. We've always done hoppers. Even when our kid was newly out of a stroller. We like to spend more time at Disneyland than California Adventure so we much prefer hoppers for that reason as well.

Have you been to Disneyland before? If not, have you looked at the map to see how close the two parks are to each other? That might help you decide. We've always done hoppers. Even when our kid was newly out of a stroller. We like to spend more time at Disneyland than California Adventure so we much prefer hoppers for that reason as well.

This is our first trip - we are WDW regulars (well, we go a lot more than anyone else we know!). We will be flying from Toronto - so it's our daughters longest flight ever, and our longest flight since Covid.

I see they are across from each other and calculated walking distances. I guess I'm just wondering whether we will want to go back to DCA. But 3 days in DL might be a lot.

Hmm...yeah, that's hard to say. There's a lot more to do at Disneyland park if you directly compare it to the Magic Kingdom at WDW, for example. So you may not think 3 days is too much for you. It also depends on crowds. If crowds are light, you can get a LOT done in the park since things are so close together.

I find, personally, that when I have park hoppers (WDW or DL) I do tend to go at a faster (maybe even frenetic) pace and can fall prey to FOMO - oh I need that LL for space later tonight, etc. I will not do hoppers at WDW again for this reason. While it is super easy to hop back and forth at DL (think World Showcase to Future World in Epcot) and I do recommend them, with a 6 year old I’d consider your touring style. When I go solo with my (now) 7 year old I tend to do one park only, but that is because he is my stop and smell the roses guy who would be more than happy drawing at animation studios all day and waiting for parades. For me those days with him are far more relaxed.

We’ve traveled with my daughter (now 6) to Disneyland multiple times and have never gotten park hopper tickets. I love planning to spend the entire day in one park, take in all the activities, experiences, meals etc and then go visit the other park on a different day. It’s easier for me to plan our days and not wear us out. We usually do 2 days DL and 1 DCA. There’s a lot more to do at DL but I’m not sure what I’d do with 4 days, might depend which rides your 6 yo would be into.

I find, personally, that when I have park hoppers (WDW or DL) I do tend to go at a faster (maybe even frenetic) pace and can fall prey to FOMO - oh I need that LL for space later tonight, etc. I will not do hoppers at WDW again for this reason. While it is super easy to hop back and forth at DL (think World Showcase to Future World in Epcot) and I do recommend them, with a 6 year old I’d consider your touring style. When I go solo with my (now) 7 year old I tend to do one park only, but that is because he is my stop and smell the roses guy who would be more than happy drawing at animation studios all day and waiting for parades. For me those days with him are far more relaxed.
That is my worry! I'll have too much anxiety, want to make use of the hopper, and drag everyone around. This could be our only DLR trip, so I want to enjoy it!

We’ve traveled with my daughter (now 6) to Disneyland multiple times and have never gotten park hopper tickets. I love planning to spend the entire day in one park, take in all the activities, experiences, meals etc and then go visit the other park on a different day. It’s easier for me to plan our days and not wear us out. We usually do 2 days DL and 1 DCA. There’s a lot more to do at DL but I’m not sure what I’d do with 4 days, might depend which rides your 6 yo would be into.
That is good to know. Yes, it is the 4th day that I'm a bit uncertain about. With Toon town reopening, I feel like there is a lot, although she has moved on to want to do bigger rides and likely wouldn't play in play structure areas. I think she'll love Red wood creek and Tom Sawyer, and it looks like TS is much larger.

With the hotel not really in walking distance for 2 RT's, I don't see us going back and resting. She is definitly more of a go tot you drop kind of kid! (And sleeps long so it works out).

Our first day is April 17th - no idea how busy it will be. I'm assuming spring break and Easter crowds will be gone.

I went with my daughter and just-turned-6 grandson the last week of Jan. We got hoppers and I wouldn't want to go without them, but I've been going to the parks for decades and know what I like and don't care about.

It was super easy to hop with my grandson. In DCA, he loved Avenger's campus and GOTG. He liked Soarin', but didn't care about going again. Cars was closed during our stay. I think he would happily play in the Redwood Creek area all day, but his mama and I voted that down, lol, though we did stay a very long time. There honestly isn't enough in DCA for us to want to spend a whole day there, but if you've never been, that may be quite different for your family. Anyway, we were always glad to go back over to DLR whenever we wanted.

We have never gone without them to DL. I don’t bother in WDW due to the distance. Our first trip, my son was 4, but we stayed at the Grand so we took a few hours to rest in the afternoon. We bounce back and forth all day. I require bacon Mac n cheese at the Cozy Cone and he needs Swirl Cones.

At disneyland resort I don't park hop with kids, or without kids.
I don't see the need for them and I don't like the added expense.

You'll be fine without.

Hoppers always !! the flexibility makes them worth it (and you can still have a nice relaxing time with hoppers....they open up so many more options and it takes no time at all to hop)

The parks are a 2 minute walk from each other, it's like one big park. Get the park hoopers for flexibility, but especially for night time entertainment and not being locked in one park for that

Also, there is so much to see and do, I wouldn't count on a 7pm bedtime, for one she will adjust quickly, also that's quite early. The fireworks for example, are at 9:30pm

That is my worry! I'll have too much anxiety, want to make use of the hopper, and drag everyone around. This could be our only DLR trip, so I want to enjoy it!
Instead of feeling like you have to, think of it as insurance. Sometimes a park is having a bad day or is too crowded or you just really want to watch that night time show again. With hoppers you will have the opportunity for it if you want.

Instead of feeling like you have to, think of it as insurance. Sometimes a park is having a bad day or is too crowded or you just really want to watch that night time show again. With hoppers you will have the opportunity for it if you want.
This is exactly how I see it … on a 5-day park hopper, for $12/person/day, you get the freedom to choose to ride a very favorite ride another time or grab a favorite snack that’s only in the other park or go to one park all day but see the nighttime entertainment in the other park. Or simply hop because one park has five rides down and the other is less crowded.

I did hoppers with a newly 7 year old. I like the flexibility and it’s so easy at DL. E we are doing it again this year with twin 5 yo and the now 8 yo. We plan to take mid day breaks, so having the hoppers gives us options and we will be there during food and wine, so I like popping over for that too.

I did hoppers with my 7 year old and 2 year old! The parks are so close that we really treat them like one big park. As you can see, everyone has an individual touring style and my kids love the flexibility of going in between parks. Just as long as they know it’s a long walk, it works for us.

Thanks everyone. It sounds like everyone has their preferences. We are leaning toward deciding on day 1 or 2 - see how we get through DL, etc. Our daughter would def prefer to go hard vs. taking a rest (as do we). She does go to bed early because she exhausts herself everyday (she sleeps 11.5-12 hours, so no late nights). There is no way she can stay awake for fireworks - even if we let her.

Thanks everyone. It sounds like everyone has their preferences. We are leaning toward deciding on day 1 or 2 - see how we get through DL, etc. Our daughter would def prefer to go hard vs. taking a rest (as do we). She does go to bed early because she exhausts herself everyday (she sleeps 11.5-12 hours, so no late nights). There is no way she can stay awake for fireworks - even if we let her.

Just so you are aware, park hopper add on is the same price regardless of the number of days. So adding it before your trip will be the same price as adding it two days into your trip.

If you all are the go hard with no rest breaks type of family, you should get park hoppers. It’s possible to run out of things to do in DCA if you rope drop and stay all day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter