Park hours on Sunday 8/27

pblack

DIS Veteran
I was just looking at the schedule for the weekend I will be there and I noticed that on Sunday the park doesn't open until 10:00 AM. This seems like a really odd opening time to me for a Sunday.

Is this normal? Or is there something going on that morning that i'm unaware of?

Thanks!

Ahhh I do remember seeing an email about that now that you mention it. Thanks for the info @RynB11 ! With the late start that morning i'm debating if I want to switch to the weekend prior. But I feel like the weekend prior will be crazy busy as it's the first weekend lower passes are available and the last weekend of electrical parade.

The SoCal passes will still be blacked out on the 20th. That might be a good day to choose over the 27th. You're right, with Fantasmic and some of the attractions reopening and the lower tier passes no longer blacked out, you can expect it to be pretty busy!

Currently discussing with my husband about maybe switching to the 20th. Originally I thought that socal passes were good that weekend. Guess we'll just have to weigh our options.

BTW, love your picture. Steamboat Willie is my favorite. :love:

I'll be heading their that week, as I have a SoCal pass. Already trying to prepare myself for the crowds lol. But it's my birthday on 8/23 and I figure where better to spend my birthday, so opted for one of the Fantasmic dining packages to offset some of the crowd I hope!

It was either Steamboat Willie or Jimmy Cricket. At least until I can remember to take a picture of myself at Disney. Always behind the camera and never in front lol.

Happy early birthday! 8/23 happens to be our anniversary which is why we're going. I have the deluxe AP so I could choose either weekend, I just don't know which will be the lesser of two evils haha.

We're coming from Sacramento so we're really only planning on a full park day Saturday and hoping for 4ish hours on Sunday morning. (But the park opening at 10 puts a damper on that.)

Happy early birthday! 8/23 happens to be our anniversary which is why we're going. I have the deluxe AP so I could choose either weekend, I just don't know which will be the lesser of two evils haha.

We're coming from Sacramento so we're really only planning on a full park day Saturday and hoping for 4ish hours on Sunday morning. (But the park opening at 10 puts a damper on that.)
Boo to 10am openings -- thats too long to wait in the morning (haha!). I went last year right when SoCal APs were unblocked and it wasn't AWFUL... meaning it's not like Christmas time packed. More manageable in the morning.

And hey, I'm from Sacramento too! (assuming you're not just visiting there beforehand) :wave2:

Thank you! And Happy early anniversary also!

Just found this info in the CHOC Walk Website, which may also impact your decision:

CHOC Walk registration does not include admission to the parks. However valid only on 08/27/2017: Present your CHOC Walk In the Park wristband to any Disneyland® Resort ticket booth to purchase a Disneyland® Resort 1-Day Park Hopper® ticket for $86.00 or a 1-Day, 1-Park ticket valid at either Disneyland® Park or Disney California Adventure® Park for $57.00 for use on 8/27/17 or your next trip to the Disneyland® Resort! An additional Disneyland® Resort ticket booth will be located in the CHOC Walk Festival Area in the Downtown Disney® District on 8/27/17. Limit: one time purchase of up to 5 tickets per wristband. Tickets must be used by expiration date of 9/23/17. Block out dates apply: 9/1/17 – 9/4/17, 9/15/17, 9/20/17-9/22/17. Terms and conditions on the tickets shall apply. Any damaged, lost or stolen tickets will not be replaced. An inability to use any tickets will result in forfeiture of such tickets. Subject to change without notice.
This may impact crowds on 8/27 also

Boo to 10am openings -- thats too long to wait in the morning (haha!). I went last year right when SoCal APs were unblocked and it wasn't AWFUL... meaning it's not like Christmas time packed. More manageable in the morning.

And hey, I'm from Sacramento too! (assuming you're not just visiting there beforehand) :wave2:

Nope, not just visiting! Haha. We live right outside of Sacramento in Folsom. Always nice to meet a fellow Disney "Nerd" neighbor! party:

Thank you! And Happy early anniversary also!

Just found this info in the CHOC Walk Website, which may also impact your decision:

CHOC Walk registration does not include admission to the parks. However valid only on 08/27/2017: Present your CHOC Walk In the Park wristband to any Disneyland® Resort ticket booth to purchase a Disneyland® Resort 1-Day Park Hopper® ticket for $86.00 or a 1-Day, 1-Park ticket valid at either Disneyland® Park or Disney California Adventure® Park for $57.00 for use on 8/27/17 or your next trip to the Disneyland® Resort! An additional Disneyland® Resort ticket booth will be located in the CHOC Walk Festival Area in the Downtown Disney® District on 8/27/17. Limit: one time purchase of up to 5 tickets per wristband. Tickets must be used by expiration date of 9/23/17. Block out dates apply: 9/1/17 – 9/4/17, 9/15/17, 9/20/17-9/22/17. Terms and conditions on the tickets shall apply. Any damaged, lost or stolen tickets will not be replaced. An inability to use any tickets will result in forfeiture of such tickets. Subject to change without notice.
This may impact crowds on 8/27 also

Thank you! And thanks for that info! That definitely adds something to consider. I wonder how crowded it gets in the parks the day before the CHOC walk. :confused3 This is actually the first year i'd heard of it.

Thank you! And thanks for that info! That definitely adds something to consider. I wonder how crowded it gets in the parks the day before the CHOC walk. :confused3 This is actually the first year i'd heard of it.

My sister participated last year in it, but I honestly forgot all about it until I saw your post. I've never been to or around DLR during any of the Walks or Marathons. I'd be curious to know how much this impacts as well.

I have a Deluxe AP and have decided to do a trip August 26-27. I actually just signed up for the CHOC walk and look forward to it!

CHOC Walk will bring approximately 14,000 - 16,000 walkers to the parks! (Not totally sure about the number this year -- the Walk is early this year and caught a lot of us off guard -- we were expecting October as usual!) The Walk itself will take place very early in the morning. Opening ceremony is on Main Street at 6 am. I believe the last walker has to be out of DCA by 9 am so that the parks can be ready to open at 10 am. Be prepared for the ticket booths to be very crowded since that Sunday is the only day that walkers can buy their discounted tickets. The parks will be crowded, too (more so in DL). There will be tables, booths, and kiosks set up in DTD for the Walk. If you get a chance to watch the finish line in DTD, do so -- it's really moving to see the kids and their families cross the line. The DJ does such a great job announcing each walker or team. And if you have the chance, join the Walk! CHOC Walk Sunday is one of the best days at DLR! :)

Also worth noting, is that Early Entry was switched around for this weekend. Sunday is normally early entry at DCA, but because of the walk, DCA Early Entry was moved to Saturday the 26th and Disneyland Early Entry/Magic Morning is on Sunday the 27th at 9am.

If anyone has this perk, it may be some comfort to know that it's likely the majority of CHOC walk participants and lower tier passes won't be at that Early Entry. Only those staying at on-site hotels would, or those that bought 3 day+ tickets already and are able to finish the walk and get to the parks before 9am.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter