Park pass messed us up

Pats Dragon

DIS Veteran
So we planned this trip for a year or more and could only go to two parks. We chose our favorites: Epcot and Magic Kingdom. The day before Magic Kingdom, my son apparently ate a bad oyster at a restaurant and was taken by ambulance to a hospital. Of course we couldn't use our pass and tried to switch but the only available park was Epcot again. We were sooooooo disappointed to not even get to Magic Kingdom which is the real reason we go so often. Just a warning you guys. This is a trip breaker.

Oh, my! That IS too bad by far.

And obviously, his illness banished all thoughts of talking to guest relations about a credit of some sort.

MK is the heart of our every trip, so yeah, that was a crushing disappointment. :grouphug:

I'm so sorry this happened to you! We've had an incident of having to go to the hospital on a Disney trip. It is no fun! These park reservations make me SO nervous! We are going in the fall and are buying 2-day PHs. The plan is to do Moonlight Magic at AK, and then I have park reservations for Epcot one morning and DHS the other morning. We are planning on MK both evenings, but I'm so afraid there won't be any reservations available. Are people getting shut out a lot? It would be devastating not to be able to get into MK!

I'm so sorry this happened to you! We've had an incident of having to go to the hospital on a Disney trip. It is no fun! These park reservations make me SO nervous! We are going in the fall and are buying 2-day PHs. The plan is to do Moonlight Magic at AK, and then I have park reservations for Epcot one morning and DHS the other morning. We are planning on MK both evenings, but I'm so afraid there won't be any reservations available. Are people getting shut out a lot? It would be devastating not to be able to get into MK!
You don’t need a reservation for the park you hop to, only for the first park each day. And unless it’s an exceedingly unusual day, you’ll be able to hop to MK even if no MK reservations are available that day. MK has been closed to hopping only briefly on October 1. It wasn’t even closed to hopping on Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year’s Eve.

You don’t need a reservation for the park you hop to, only for the first park each day. And unless it’s an exceedingly unusual day, you’ll be able to hop to MK even if no MK reservations are available that day. MK has been closed to hopping only briefly on October 1. It wasn’t even closed to hopping on Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year’s Eve.
I didn't realize that. I thought you had to make another reservation if you park-hopped. I'm not sure how this system helps control crowds because there's no way they can tell how many will be in the parks after 2:00. Anyway, if the OP had really wanted to go to MK, couldn't a solution have been to upgrade to a PH, reserve and enter Epcot, and then hop to MK at 2:00?

Theoretically, the hopped-to park might not have hopping available. I believe there's a number you can call to check on this but in reality, I don't think any parks have been closed to hopping. And you do not need a reservation for the hopped-to park, HOWEVER you do need to tap in to the reserved park first. You have to go to the reserved park, even if you just go, tap in, and leave. Only then can you hop, and only after 2 p.m.

And anyone who thinks the new systems at WDW make it easier or more intuitive or level the playing field for guests--are you serious? I suppose the park reservation, G+, and ILL$ systems could be even more complex, but it's as though they tried really hard to make them as obtuse as possible.

Oysters night before vavation? WHAT-THE-ACTUAL-HECK. I eat cheerios and toast. No jinxen that janx.
I read the post as though they were already on their vacation. It happened at a restaurant the "day before Magic Kingdom." Did the bad oyster come from a Disney restaurant?

ETA: In fact, there are clues that they had already gone to Epcot on a previous day. When they tried to get another MK pass, all that was available was "Epcot again." (Sorry, I'm a retired reading teacher and a current reading tutor. I teach kids to "find the clues.")

Last edited:
I read the post as though they were already on their vacation. It happened at a restaurant the "day before Magic Kingdom." Did the bad oyster come from a Disney restaurant?
I actually thought that "bad oyster" wasn't meant literally. But I could be wrong.

Well, he "was taken by ambulance to a hospital." I don't see anything figurative about that.
Yes, I thought the hospital part was literal but I couldn't somehow picture anyone eating an oyster . . . but of course I could definitely be wrong and it could've been an oyster.

Yes, I thought the hospital part was literal but I couldn't somehow picture anyone eating an oyster . . . but of course I could definitely be wrong and it could've been an oyster.
Well, people actually do eat oysters. And sometimes they are bad. I know someone who died from a bad oyster. It does happen.

Well, people actually do eat oysters. And sometimes they are bad. I know someone who died from a bad oyster. It does happen.
Of course people eat oysters. I'm very sorry you know someone who died from eating a bad oyster. I didn't mean to diminish what was posted. I really honestly thought that the person was being metaphorical since bad oysters are a known source of food poisoning. I hope everyone on this thread forgives me for suggesting this, since apparently I said the exact wrong thing. I did not mean to upset, gainsay, or attack anyone.

Of course people eat oysters. I'm very sorry you know someone who died from eating a bad oyster. I didn't mean to diminish what was posted. I really honestly thought that the person was being metaphorical since bad oysters are a known source of food poisoning. I hope everyone on this thread forgives me for suggesting this, since apparently I said the exact wrong thing. I did not mean to upset, gainsay, or attack anyone.
Not at all. I'm not upset. I didn't see it as an attack at all. I was just trying to figure out how to get something figurative out of it. I'm pretty sure what the OP said actually happened which was so unfortunate for them.

Not at all. I'm not upset. I didn't see it as an attack at all. I was just trying to figure out how to get something figurative out of it. I'm pretty sure what the OP said actually happened which was so unfortunate for them.
I just had "ate a bad oyster" in the same category as "stepped on a rusty nail"--i.e., two common examples of causes for serious results. That's all. As though "bad oyster" were somehow shorthand for any kind of food poisoning. But I admit that I could be wrong and, as I said, I'm very sorry I said anything at all.

Edited to fix typo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter