Park Planning During Race Weekend

Lovinallthingsdisney

Mouseketeer
I will be at Disney Jan 3 - 9. I know the hotels are solidly booked up and the crowd levels are quite high thru that time. I noticed that Touring Plans actually shows the lowest crowd levels on Sunday...the day of the marathon. I have never been to Disney during this time so have no idea what to expect. I am NOT a runner, so the race is not on my itinerary. Does anyone have any advice to offer?

You are there the exact dates I’m there.

I am a runner though. As for parks I would probably avoid DHS and Epcot on Sunday. The other two parks will get runners through pretty quickly and won’t have much affect during the day.

Last edited:
We went to Magic Kingdom on Sunday, January 8, last year, and the crowd level in the park was not a problem.

But there was a major traffic jam getting to the park. The bus picked us up at All Star Sports at 8am. It did not let us out at the MK parking lot like usual. Instead, it dropped us at the Ticket and Transportation Center at 8:50 am, and it was 9:15 am by the time we got into the park.

But there was a major traffic jam getting to the park. The bus picked us up at All Star Sports at 8am. It did not let us out at the MK parking lot like usual. Instead, it dropped us at the Ticket and Transportation Center at 8:50 am, and it was 9:15 am by the time we got into the park.
This is only the case until the runner course is taken down. Buses should drop off at regular locations by mid day if not sooner.

We went to Magic Kingdom on Sunday, January 8, last year, and the crowd level in the park was not a problem.

Good to know aswe have adr at 8am this day at 1900Pf. We are coming from POFq. If we get a cab at 730,would that be Ample time?

Good to know aswe have adr at 8am this day at 1900Pf. We are coming from POFq. If we get a cab at 730,would that be Ample time?

I don't think it will be. Race starts at 5:30am but the corrals are staggered so not everyone starts at the same time and then the first part of the race heads out of Epcot towards MK and then loops around past the Grand Floridian (at least it did for 2017). Here is the 2017 course to give you an idea

https://secure.as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rundisney/disneyworld-marathon/Marathon_Course.png

I don't think it will be. Race starts at 5:30am but the corrals are staggered so not everyone starts at the same time and then the first part of the race heads out of Epcot towards MK and then loops around past the Grand Floridian (at least it did for 2017). Here is the 2017 course to give you an idea

https://secure.as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rundisney/disneyworld-marathon/Marathon_Course.png
Geez thats a long race! Lots of road closures. Maybe we need to leave even earlier than 730

Maybe it would be easier to go to Epcot and hop on the monorail, and then get on the resort monorail at TTC. I have no experience with race weekend, but it could be another option.

Maybe it would be easier to go to Epcot and hop on the monorail, and then get on the resort monorail at TTC. I have no experience with race weekend, but it could be another option.
Thought about this today while talking with a friend running the race. Thinking 7am we uber to Ep. Then monorail He felt that the monorail would be up and running that early.

We will be there that week too. We are staying off site (just a few minutes south of Animal Kingdom) and we're planning to be at Magic Kingdom on Sunday the 7th. Is here an option to park somewhere else and take the bus to Magic Kingdom? Can we park at Animal Kingdom? Or one of the hotels? We were hoping to be at MK for RD. We're a group of 10, with 2 vehicles.

Thought about this today while talking with a friend running the race. Thinking 7am we uber to Ep. Then monorail He felt that the monorail would be up and running that early.
Monorail starts running at about 3AM that morning as they take runners to Epcot for the start.

So the Marathon weekend brings alot of people to WDW, but a large chunk of the crowds are resort/DS only. The runners need to be on transportation for several of the races by 4 AM, so most of us call it early the night before. Some runners will do parks after the races (wave if you see us walking around wearing medals) but alot of people are happy to just be walking after the full marathon on Sunday, and not everyone will be in shape to do a park. Avoid the WWoS area during the first day or two of the expo (traffic in the vicinity might be backed up a bit due to expo traffic). On race days, Thurs/Fri the 5k/10k are just in the Epcot area, and are done before the park opens. Sat with the half you may have some issues getting to the MK area (park and resorts) for early morning reservations. Some of the roads in that area become one lane, so they can only send so many vehicles in one direction before stopping, and then sending them in the other direction. Runners will be done in MK before it opens, but there may still be some runners in Epcot at park open, but it should clear out fairly soon. Sunday for the full marathon, same applies about early AM in the MK area. Even though the runners will be done in MK pre park open, it may still take them a bit to re-open the roads. AK will have runners in it for a while, DHS and Epcot will definitely have runners in them for most of the morning. I think the last runners will be going through Epcot around 1:30-1:45, exact time will vary on their speed. However most of the closures for that have minimal impact on transportation, but just watch out for runners while in park. CMs will direct you where/when to walk.

Hmm.. thanks for posting this. I had changed from AK to DHS for Sunday thinking AK might likely see a bigger bump of people because of the race weekend, now thinking maybe I should just stick with AK? Decisions decisions.... :scratchin

Hmm.. thanks for posting this. I had changed from AK to DHS for Sunday thinking AK might likely see a bigger bump of people because of the race weekend, now thinking maybe I should just stick with AK? Decisions decisions.... :scratchin
Either way you’ll be fine. The races don’t have as much effect as people think.

We are in a similar situation. We will be there the 5th-12th. My plan is DHS on Saturday and possibly walking to EPCOT and then MK on Sunday because we can take the boats from Fort Wilderness. Although everything I have read says that the crowds in the parks really aren't that different, it's just slower transportation and more crowds at the resorts/Disney Springs.

We definitely went to the parks the day of the half we did (princess) but it wasn’t very crowded. I think we went the day after too and it was also fine

Keep in mind for January this year that many schools are still on break after New Years. So it can/will be crowded without the races. That's how it was this year.

Your best bet is going to be giving yourself extra time and use Disney transportation. Disney bus drivers are going to know what roads are closed and will have alternate routes- uber/lyft/cabs will not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter