Park Schedule Feedback Needed (August 2023)

Jack Kerouac

DIS Veteran
My wife and I are taking our three boys (ages 8,5, and 3 at time of trip) to WDW in August (3-12) 2023. We have decided we want to do MK 3x, EPCOT 2x, DHS 2x, and AK 1x. Based on some blogs, it seems we should avoid MK on Saturdays and Mondays, EPCOT on weekends, DHS should be visited on weekends, and AK requires the least amount of planning. We are new DVC members, so this will be an annual occurrence for us. But we still want to have a good park strategy for our trip. We will only be doing one park per day, with the idea of going in the mornings, head back to the Polynesian for lunch, swim, and rest, and then go back to the park later.

Here’s our preliminary schedule:
Thursday 8/3 - Travel day
Friday 8/4 - MK
Saturday 8/5 - DHS
Sunday 8/6 - AK
Monday 8/7 - EPCOT
Tuesday 8/8 - MK
Wednesday 8/9 - MK
Thursday 8/10 - EPCOT
Friday 8/11 - DHS
Saturday 8/12 - Travel day

Thank you for any suggestions and feedback you may have.

Last edited:
My wife and I are taking our three boys (ages 8,5, and 3 at time of trip) to WDW in August (3-12) 2023. We have decided we want to do MK 3x, EPCOT 2x, DHS 2x, and AK 1x. Based on some blogs, it seems we should avoid MK on Saturdays and Mondays, EPCOT on weekends, DHS should be visited on weekends, and AK requires the least amount of planning. We are new DVC members, so this will be an annual occurrence for us. But we still want to have a good park strategy for our trip. We will only be doing one park per day, with the idea of going in the mornings, head back to the Polynesian for lunch, swim, and rest, and then go back to the park later.

Here’s our preliminary schedule:
Thursday 8/3 - Travel day
Friday 8/4 - MK
Saturday 8/5 - DHS
Sunday 8/6 - AK
Monday 8/7 - EPCOT
Tuesday 8/8 - MK
Wednesday 8/9 - MK
Thursday 8/10 - EPCOT
Friday 8/11 - DHS
Saturday 8/12 - Travel day

Thank you for any suggestions and feedback you may have.
That is a very full schedule. I would look at a break day in the middle or at least a half day.

Also, not sure if you’re interested, but the Halloween party will likely start that week. I think this past year it was on Friday the 12th, so maybe Friday the 11th in 2023. Might be something to keep in mind as a way to mix up a Magic Kingdom day.

HS is the smallest and thus most crowded and doesn't have much filler or much for that age group in general. When headliner rides go down, which is not uncommon, it's even worse. I'd take Epcot on a weekend over HS.

You are staying deluxe, but the extended late hours aren't even in this discussion. I plan my trips around them.

We originally were planning on a couple of resort days, but we began to see ticket prices for the five us to be around $100 total per added day, we thought it might be better to have more days and just plan on doing portions of the parks, afternoon breaks to escape the heat and possible storms, and try to visit the parks at a slower pace. We would likely plan on early park openings some days, but maybe not every day. We put DHS on the list twice because our middle son loves Star Wars. We will have DAS due to our oldest son, so I’m not too worried about the lines for the SW rides. But maybe it’s advantageous to drop one DHS day for a resort /DS day. We do want to visit Raglan Road for dinner because my oldest loves Irish dancing. Maybe the break day would help with planning that visit.

HS is the smallest and thus most crowded and doesn't have much filler or much for that age group in general. When headliner rides go down, which is not uncommon, it's even worse. I'd take Epcot on a weekend over HS.

You are staying deluxe, but the extended late hours aren't even in this discussion. I plan my trips around them.
Is there a way to find out the extended hours for the park during my dates?

Our schedules look much like yours. We do 9 days in a row and have since my dd was a baby. Like you, looking at ticket prices, we book extra days then take more breaks. Something else you may wish to consider adding is the water park option. We love doing those during our Aug trips.

I would book park reservations now based on above but then switch around as your plans change. We change our parks often between original booking and actually travelling.

If a Halloween party is announced for one or more of your dates I would book MK those dates as many avoid the MK on party days.

Is there a way to find out the extended hours for the park during my dates?
Those dates have not been announced yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter