Parking at DVC Resorts

BurghFan111

Mouseketeer
I have always been under the impression that DVC members were allowed free parking at ALL DVC resorts. I remember being told this years ago. Maybe it has changed but if so I'm not aware. We are members at SSR, AKV, and BLT. When staying at SSR or AKV we park at Boardwalk all the time because we like walking the Boardwalk and entering Epcot through the back gate. We are always greeted with a Welcome Home at any resort we visit except one - BLT. We are always treated like we are trying to get away with something. They ask us a million questions and then seem very reluctant to let us park there. It's ot like we would be paying for parking anywhere else and I always see plenty of parking spots open. if the policy has changed just tell me and we will park somewhere else. We like riding around the monorail, visiting the shops, and maybe grabbing a snack before heading into MK. The woman today was so rude my wife used a word I can't use on DisBoards. We have not stayed at BLT yet even though we have owned there for 3-4 yrs. I am almost to the point I don't because of the stuck up, rude gate people. Anyone else run into this or am I overreacting?

I have always been under the impression that DVC members were allowed free parking at ALL DVC resorts. I remember being told this years ago. Maybe it has changed but if so I'm not aware. We are members at SSR, AKV, and BLT. When staying at SSR or AKV we park at Boardwalk all the time because we like walking the Boardwalk and entering Epcot through the back gate. We are always greeted with a Welcome Home at any resort we visit except one - BLT. We are always treated like we are trying to get away with something. They ask us a million questions and then seem very reluctant to let us park there. It's ot like we would be paying for parking anywhere else and I always see plenty of parking spots open. if the policy has changed just tell me and we will park somewhere else. We like riding around the monorail, visiting the shops, and maybe grabbing a snack before heading into MK. The woman today was so rude my wife used a word I can't use on DisBoards. We have not stayed at BLT yet even though we have owned there for 3-4 yrs. I am almost to the point I don't because of the stuck up, rude gate people. Anyone else run into this or am I overreacting?

No. You are only allowed to park at the resort you are registered at. In fact, when they opened TOTWL to all DVC members, they specifically requested you take Disney transportation to get to BLT. They did not want you parking there unless you were registered there. As far as I know, it has always been this way. I think y'all were under a false assumption.

bw should now being referring you to the other parking lot.

it does not matter where you own - what matters is where you are staying.

BLT has problems with non-blt/cr guest trying to park there and then go visit the Magic Kingdom. This has not been allowed since the late 90's.

don't mean to be insulting - but you also remind me of the person who was staying at All stars and using the pool at the Polyn and was upset when told to leave. Disney allowed pool hoping for one year only (non-DVC). to try to get more guests to try the all stars when it was new. It never again allowed this to happen..

you should not be parking at the BWv/i parking and walking to Epcot. - Now the outside parking lot is allowed but it is mainly for those who want to eat along the BW.

now if you to walk to EPcot or Studios then stay at BWV or BCV.

if you want to walk to MK then stay at BLT. boating staying at vwl

these are not new rules.

they started long before BLT was build.

there are now several thousand DVC member if everyone decided to park at BLT to go to the MK - can you understand that people who were staying at BLT would not be able to park there. that is not only unfair but also unreasonable.

same for BCV and BWV.

park in the theme parking lots for visits to the theme park. that is one reason why I have an AP - parking is free w/one - and it is always free when you are staying onsite at WDW.

I was told originally I could park t other DVC resorts. My problem is they should just tell me that my understanding is wrong and I'd go park in the main lot, no problem, no argument. There is no need for them to be rude.

I have no clue how this is similar to being upset about being asked to leave a pool at a resort I am not staying at when I actually asked.

because when OKW (DVC) was new - we could park anywhere.

since BCV was added - the if you want to visit a theme park - please park at the theme park.

you are using very, very old rules - Disney is changing all the time. So before each trip - either check your facts here or go to the DVC member website - it spells them out pretty clearly.

I was told originally I could park t other DVC resorts. My problem is they should just tell me that my understanding is wrong and I'd go park in the main lot, no problem, no argument. There is no need for them to be rude.

I have no clue how this is similar to being upset about being asked to leave a pool at a resort I am not staying at when I actually asked.

I don't think there's any reason to be rude ever. But, I can imagine how many excuses have been given to CMs by lots of people.

It is similar to being upset about being asked to leave a pool, because a poster said they were told that pool hopping can be done anywhere. There were various stories about pool hoppers lying outright about leaving keys in rooms when they are either not really staying there, not staying at any WDW resorts at all. Not saying that's your scenario.

In both cases - the policies are misunderstood. It's really tough when someone says "I was told". One is never sure if that's true or a misunderstanding. Also, as DVC guides are sales people, I'm not sure how much of what they say are geared towards making a sale. After all, even though they're a lot better than other TS sales people, they're still TS sales people.

Also, the only thing guaranteed when we bought is staying at our home resorts at a discounted rate. Everything else is a perk that could be taken away anytime.

You can park at other resorts for the purpose of dining or visiting the resort, 3 hour limit. You can not park at other resorts and enter a park. You can not park at BLT to visit the TOTWL.

BLT/Contemporary and BWV are especially vigilant in protecting parking spaces due to the high number of people who don't obey the rules and enter the parks.

:earsboy: Bill

You can park at other resorts for the purpose of dining or visiting the resort, 3 hour limit. You can not park at other resorts and enter a park. You can not park at BLT to visit the TOTWL.

BLT/Contemporary and BWV are especially vigilant in protecting parking spaces due to the high number of people who don't obey the rules and enter the parks.

:earsboy: Bill

Agreed. Maybe it was originally that way with OKW like pp mentioned. We have never been told we could park at any resort. Only the one we're staying at. For dining yes but not to stay for the day.

You can valet as far as I know, but you pay for that ;)

When we bought we were told that we can park at any DVC resort. In fact at the time free Valet parking was alos a perk.
We have visited other resorts and have never had an issue.

Most of the time they look at the DVC parking permit and let us in with no questions.

When we bought we were told that we can park at any DVC resort. In fact at the time free Valet parking was alos a perk.
We have visited other resorts and have never had an issue.

Most of the time they look at the DVC parking permit and let us in with no questions.

Free valet parking, at one time, was available for all WDW resort guests. Then it became available only as a DVC Perk, and then when the valet services were contracted out, the only free valet parking is now for people with handicap placards or plates.

Parking at the various resorts was never a specific DVC Perk, but was available to everyone. That also changed shortly after the Boardwalk Inn and Villas opened, as they saw locals parking there to avoid the fees and they made parking difficult for paying hotel guests.

DVC, unlike some other timeshares, does not allow use of the resort facilities other than the shops and restaurants open to the general public. There are no day passes or a day guests status for DVC members at DVC Resorts.

We have seen some posters here say the free theme park parking is a DVC Perk. It is not, you can not park free at the theme parks simply by virtue of being a DVC Member. Free theme park parking is a perk of being an onsite hotel guest (including DVC resorts) or of being an annual passholder.

It amazes me how much of a hot button topic parking is on these boards.

I use this approach alot with alot of success:

"I'm a DVC member who was hoping to resort hop, may we park here?" 90% of the time when there's room... they let you in. If it's busy and they only have room for their registered guests... they don't let you in.

I completely understand your frustration with the occasional over zealous guard that comes across like they are interrogating you. But I think if you prepare yourself with a backup plan in case you are turned away, you'll find yourself less frustrated if you are denied access to the lot.

"I'm a DVC member who was hoping to resort hop, may we park here?" 90% of the time when there's room... they let you in. If it's busy and they only have room for their registered guests... they don't let you in.

I completely understand your frustration with the occasional over zealous guard that comes across like they are interrogating you. But I think if you prepare yourself with a backup plan in case you are turned away, you'll find yourself less frustrated if you are denied access to the lot.

Are you dining, or using the parking to access a theme park, there is a lot of difference and if you ask can you park there to go to the park, the response you get will be different.

I don't think anyone has any problem parking at any resort to dine, other than that then yes there could be problems, as it should be.

As an owner, and therefore somewhat frequent guest, at BWV I find parking enforcement to be critical. More often than not, they hold the lot by the Inn/Convention side for convention attendees and convention events essentially halving the amount of available parking within immediate proximity to the BW. As a registered guest, I'm already frustrated I'm relegated to parking in the lot across the street while the lot held for conventions is empty.

It'd be great to have parking access all around the WDW resort, but we've always managed to park for our dining reservations and getting to park at my actual resort is more important to me.

I get the strict enforcement at the Epcot resorts and MK resorts. We also own at BLT and while we haven't had the same issues we've had at BWV - if they didn't enforce it we certainly wood.

You and I are on the same page. Just POLITELY tell me i need to park somewhere else and i will. rules change and unlike some people i don't have time to read every rule before vacation, that is why it's a vacation, i have a busy life to escape from. I showed her my current DVC member card, my current KTTW card, and my current SSR parking pass. All I'm saying is tell me that's not the rule and don't be a @#$% about it. As far as this being a hot topic on here, some people get way too upset about topics that don't effect them personally.

I've been an owner for going on 16 years and was never told I could park at any DVC resort. I was told in the early years we could pool hop to other resorts, but would need to ask permission. I've seen signs at multiple deluxe resorts that had a DVC connected where we were staying or at resorts we were dining at that had stated they could not provide parking to visit the theme parks. We did use valet parking at resorts that offered it when DVC members got free valet. We also use free valet with our TIW card, but that is limited to three hours and we leave the resort.

When you say your wife used a word that you cannot write on this board, it sounds like your family got a bit short with the guard as well.

There has always been a problem with people parking at the CR to avoid paying to park at the TTC. That's why DVC told DVC members visiting the TOTWL that they could not park there and would need to take Disney transporation to get there.

Parking at WDW has always been a resort guest perk and not a DVC perk. The "policy" you talk about has never been a DVC policy. I think you misunderstood from the beginning.

We have been members for years as well, and we were never told we could park at any DVC resort either. I'm thinking that a miscommunication occurred between OP and someone...

Seems that OP is being told by us other DVC members that he/she can't park there, but is not wanting to accept that.

Not sure who OP expects to alert him/her to the parking rules? Disney is not going to call people, and sometimes the parking guards do make mistakes as well.

As others have said, it is our responsibility as vacation members to know the rules. There are many ways to check on the parking rules, besides coming on here to ask.

It doesn't take but a second of thinking to know that parking at Boardwalk to enter Epcot is wrong. Boardwalk is for hotel guests or Boardwalk restaurant/club/shop guests only. If thousands of people did what OP is proposing, then chaos ensues.

Tiger

:thumbsup2 to both points you are making! No need to be rude! and not sure how the pool comment relates.

OP, it is true that you can use self-parking at resort lots for no charge. That's not a DVC member perk, anyone can park in a resort lot for no charge.

But - there are times when because of overcrowding, a resort may limit self-parking by those who are not guests of that resort to 3 hours. Or, they may restrict parking to those with an ADR. There's no DVC policy that allows members to override those restrictions; there never has been such a policy.

If you were told that as a DVC member, you may always park in a DVC resort lot other than the one you're staying at and use it for theme park access, for indefinite periods of time, then someone gave you bad information. It's just not the case.

The resorts do this for the protection of their own guests. BLT's lot is sized for the guests of BLT, with a little bit of overflow for visitors. BLT and CR are particularly strict about parking because they have to be- they're within walking distance of MK, and would be overrun with people trying to take advantage of that - leaving no room for BLT's own guests to park.

Resorts give priority in parking to their own guests, and that's as it should be. If you were staying at BLT, especially since you own there, imagine how ticked off you'd be if you returned late at night and were not able to find a parking space at your own resort because of people using the lot for MK access.

If all DVC guests were always allowed to use BLT's lot for theme park access.....the numbers just don't work. There are thousands of DVC members staying on property on any given day. Imagine how many of those would be parking in BLT for an MK EMH night. Or a MNSSHP night. Or for July fourth fireworks. The same goes for the BWV and BCV lots during Food and Wine, or around the Christmas holidays.

Wow, people love to take things and head in an entirely different direction with them.

1. My wife used a word I would not use here in the car with me after the experience
2. I presented my DVC card, KTTW, and Saratoga pass so there was no "excuses"
3. All I'm saying is had the guard told me that was not how it worked I would have smiled, thanked her, and walked away
4. I did eat at the Wave
5. I never said I don't wan to believe that rule doesn't exist. I am just saying the way it was explained to my wife and I when we bought in 2007 that is how we understood it but also understand rules change
6. I do not have time to sit around reading the DVC by-laws and commiting them to memory. The purpose for me buying DVC is because I have a busy life and like not having to put a ton of thought into vacations. If something changes you'll get no arguments from me!
7. Thank you bocaj1431

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter