• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parking at MK and taking the monorail to EPCOT

DebbieW

<font color=blue>Vincent D'Onofrio can investigate
I think the answer to this questions is yes, but I would appreciate any input.

We are going to WDW in December. The projected hours for the Magic Kingdom show a closing time of 6:00 pm. If I park in the Magic Kingdom parking lot and tour that park during the day, and then take the monorail to EPCOT after the Magic Kingdom closes, I assume my car can stay parked in the Magic Kingdom parking lot until I monorail back over there after EPCOT closes. True or false?

Thanks very much.

Debbie

Definitely true. To be precise, you will park at the Ticket and Transportation Center and take the monorail or ferry boat from TTC to MK. Then after MK closes you can take the monorail or ferry back to TTC and catch the other monorail which runs from TTC to Epcot. After Epcot closes, take the monorail back to TTC.

But... how late do the parking trams run at TTC on a day when MK closes at 6? If a guest stays for the duration of Illuminations, moo's along with the crowd out of the Epcot gate, boards and rides the monorail back to the TTC, it could easily be 10:30 by the time you are ready to go to your car. Do the trams run that late even if MK closes at 6?

I am pretty sure the trams at the MK run 1 1/2 hours after the last park closes, if Epcot closes at 9 the trams run until 10:30. I have done this a number of times but always park close enough to walk to my car from the T&TC.

You could park at Epcot in AM and take the monorail over to TTC then. You usually can get a parking place pretty close to the monorail station almost all the time at Epcot. But parking at TTC would work fine too.

Personally, I always park at the TTC, and then take the Monorail to Epcot. Partly because I used to work in Monorails, and I want to see all my old friends... and partly because I love riding my old trains :)

I beleive Sean23 is right, that the trams will run until 90 mins after the last park closes. However... one thing to add... if the MK closes at 6pm... the trams will run regularly until 730pm. After that, they will continue to run, however, limited in service. (ie: every 10-15 minutes)

Most areas in the parking lot are within walking distance. There are a few maps of the parking lot near the tram shelters... Usually, when I park in guest lots, I end up walking out to my car anyways. Half the time it's quicker than the tram (when its busy), and it's really not a long walk. (especially since I have to walk it every day to get to work... I park in Chip & Dale for work)

If you're planning on ending your day at EPCOT, I'd be more inclined to park there, take the monorail to MK, and then take it back. I'd much rather walk to my car at the end of an exhausting day than wait for a monorail, ride, and THEN still have to walk to my car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter