• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parking at monorail resorts?

Monk6552

Earning My Ears
Visiting WDW and staying at GRT - a friend who lives in Orlando (and has an annual pass in case that's relevant) said she could pick us up and drive us over to the monorail resorts where she would park and we could lounge hop. Is this even possible? I feel like I've read you're not allowed to park there unless you're a guest there or have a dining reservation...but would be happy to be wrong!

Most likely no, unless either you valet (there is a charge) or you have an ADR. You never know. If she has an AP, it's probably best to park at the TTC and walk to the Poly or take the monorail to start your lounge tours. Have fun!

The monorail resorts tend to be the most strict about not allowing parking except to guests with ADRs or other reservations at that resort. Sometimes they seem to be a little more lenient late in the afternoon or in the early evening, when people are less likely to want to use the resort parking instead of paying to park. Your friend’s AP gets her free parking at TTC and the other parks’ lots, so as above I’d just plan to park there and take the monorail, instead of getting to the resort, being turned away, and having to drive around to TTC parking anyway.

The truth is that the resort parking lots are too small to allow more than those staying there and those having ADRs there to park.

What is the earliest time in the morning that the TTC parking opens up for guest to park or get dropped off with ride share?

I have been able to park at GF & Poly a few times before. Yes, there is a possibility of being turned away by the guard, but you have a much better chance of parking if you are currently staying at a WDW resort. The last couple of years the guard would scan our MB and then let us in. Now the CR is a totally different story, if you do not have any ADRs there then they will not let you park. The only resort I have ever been turned away from was the Fort Wilderness camp grounds because they were slammed, they told us we could park at WL and come over from there.

GRT? Is that onsite or offsite?

Without an ADR or stay it’ll depend on the guard, and things like time of day and your resort may factor into their decision. They’re stricter when MK has party nights too.
Staying at Gran Destino Tower at Coronado Springs - so we are onsite guests, though she is not. It also is a party night...

You’re just there to Lounge Hop anyway so you have like nothing to lose by parking at TTC from the get go. But if your friend is the expert maybe she knows someone or something that isn’t general knowledge and you should just go with her flow?

We have been able to park at most resorts other than deluxe, but we have parked at AKL to visit the animals in back and get some pumpkin soup from the snack cafe. We love to get beignets at the French Quarter for breakfast.

The GF 3 hour lot is unmanned across the street from the hotel. We had to park there even with an ADR. The guard gave us a 3 hour pass, but nobody had it on display in the lot. It was pretty empty.

Short walk to the hotel.

We have been able to park at most resorts other than deluxe, but we have parked at AKL to visit the animals in back and get some pumpkin soup from the snack cafe. We love to get beignets at the French Quarter for breakfast.
Just from recent personal experience, for at least the last 1 1/2 years, they've had a physical sign at the guard station leading into AKL - no entry without a room or dining reservation. We stay there often and were surprised to see it. When we were visiting and not staying there, and tried to visit for some of that amazing butternut squash soup - we were pointed to the U-turn and not allowed in. Maybe they're more strict certain times of the year or based on room capacity, but if they're turning folks away at AKL, they're likely to turn away at most resorts. Especially the monorail resorts.

Just from recent personal experience, for at least the last 1 1/2 years, they've had a physical sign at the guard station leading into AKL - no entry without a room or dining reservation. We stay there often and were surprised to see it. When we were visiting and not staying there, and tried to visit for some of that amazing butternut squash soup - we were pointed to the U-turn and not allowed in. Maybe they're more strict certain times of the year or based on room capacity, but if they're turning folks away at AKL, they're likely to turn away at most resorts. Especially the monorail resorts.
Interesting. Maybe they don't want people seeing the animals for free, instead of purchasing an AK ticket?

Interesting. Maybe they don't want people seeing the animals for free, instead of purchasing an AK ticket?
I thought it really was a matter of parking capacity for the guests staying/dining there. At one point, AKL non-DVC guests were actually paying for that parking privilege! Not good to charge guests and then have no spaces when they return from the parks in the evening! But not really sure.....

AKV is close enough to AK (the bus ride is as short as a monorail ride to MK) that guests want to park there for free instead of paying to park at AK. That’s in addition to the lot being too small to accommodate them.

More like lack of parking. If they let everyone in who just wanted to see animals, there wouldn’t be enough parking for people actually paying to stay there or who own at AKL.
Probably so then. Uber wouldn't work either I guess. I'll have to bus in to get some Zebra Domes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter