• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parking -- Can We Do This

Anonomom

DIS Veteran
Ok, we're staying at Coronado Springs with free dining in September. One of the restaurants my DH really likes and wants to go to again is Whispering Canyon Cafe. I'm fine with it, but it seems like such a hike to take the bus from, say, MK to Coronado then drive to WL for dinner.

So I'm wondering, could we drive over to WL one afternoon, park there, then take the boat to MK for a few hours in the park, then back to WL for dinner? Or are you limited to parking only while you're actually at the resort for dinner? I figure this would save us a bus ride and transfer time if we could do it.

Sigh. I feel like I have gazillions of questions this time around.

Ok, we're staying at Coronado Springs with free dining in September. One of the restaurants my DH really likes and wants to go to again is Whispering Canyon Cafe. I'm fine with it, but it seems like such a hike to take the bus from, say, MK to Coronado then drive to WL for dinner.

So I'm wondering, could we drive over to WL one afternoon, park there, then take the boat to MK for a few hours in the park, then back to WL for dinner? Or are you limited to parking only while you're actually at the resort for dinner? I figure this would save us a bus ride and transfer time if we could do it.

Sigh. I feel like I have gazillions of questions this time around.

In reality, no. They will more than likely give you a three hour parking passs to eat there. I would park at either WL and then drive to MK, or give yourselves enough time and park at the MK and then take the boat to the WL and then the boat back to the MK. Now, if you do VALET parking, then you could leave your car there. Others will tell you that they don't check, but I have seen cars towed. It's not something I would personally take a chance with. DH and I drove from CSR to WL last year for dinner at WCC (unfortunately we had a really bad meal) and then we drove to MK from there (it was extra magic hours evening).

In reality as the previous poster said you are not supposed to do that. I have been staying onsite for several years now and always go visit other resorts just to look around and enjoy the "magic" or to eat dinner at the other resorts. Only one time ever have I been given a limit on the amount of time I could park at another resort.

I think "officially" you're not supposed to do it, but I've done it many, many times. The only time I've ever been presented with parking restrictions was during the high seasons like Christmas and Easter week.

You could always ask at the gate whether there's a time limit for how long you can park there. I suspect that no one is going to care in September and they'll just wave you on in.

We've gone the last three years during the first week of September for free dining. We've gone to the WL, the Poly and the AKL, and we were given a parking pass at every one of those resorts for three hours.

I stayed off property for the 1st time in 14 years earlier this week. Just returned Thursday night. We went to the Poly. The guy at the gate cut me off when I was trying to tell him I was there to have dinner. He asked to see my driver's license and waived us on thru. Never even gave us a parking pass. We were there for 3-3.5 hours without any problems at all. They want you to stay and spend money and they want you to come back so it's unlikely they are going to give you any problems. My experience was very recent. Actually it was Wednesday night.

You could park at the TTC, take the monorail over to the MK and then the boat over to WL. Then back to the MK. You'll park for free at the TTC.

We regularly go to another resort for lunch/dinner and park there while we visit a park. I tell the guard that we are currently staying at ??? resort and are coming over for lunch/dinner and we have never been given a time limit.

I parked at the Contemporary twice this week for meals (dinner) and was not given a time limit, they didn't even check if I had a reservation.

I would just schedule it for your MK day if possible. Take the bus to MK as you normally would. Take the ferry to and from WL for dinner. Visit MK for Spectromagic and Wishes. Take the bus back to CSR. Or... if going to another park that day, just take the WL bus from there when dinner time rolls around.

Could it be possible that being a guest at another resort kinda gives you a pass on the time restriction. They give you a big parking pass on piece of paper to put in the windshield, it gives you free parking at the parks. I would guess the guards see you are a guest of one of the resorts and not an off site person looking for free parking and they don't hassle you????????? I don't know, just a thought.

Schedule your meal for a MK day. Take the boat over to WL. It's a short walk from the dock to the restaurant. After dinner, take the boat back. You'll be refreshed for Spectro/Wishes, or more rides. The boat ride is fun and a nice way to cool off on a hot day.

Could it be possible that being a guest at another resort kinda gives you a pass on the time restriction. They give you a big parking pass on piece of paper to put in the windshield, it gives you free parking at the parks. I would guess the guards see you are a guest of one of the resorts and not an off site person looking for free parking and they don't hassle you????????? I don't know, just a thought.

No, even resort guests get these three hour passes. We ate the the GF a few weeks ago and valet parked. When we picked up our car after we finished eating, there was a three hour pass with the time the car was parked on the dash.

With the thousands of onsite guests, there really aren't enough parking places at the deluxe resorts for non-resort guests to park there.

The parking pass you get when you check into an onsite resort only entitles you to parking at the theme park parking lots and at your resort.

We have done this in January and we were told it was OK to do this. We went for dinner and then took the boat over. If you do this in value season, there should not be a problem. You do run into a problem during the high season or Easter/Christmas time. This makes sense since the hotels are usually at capacity. So parking is limited.

So, I would personally drive there for an early dinner and then take the boat to the MK.

Brian

Do this, go the gaurd house and tell them the truth about what you are doing. Do not fudge and say you are only eating, be truthful and ask can you park there even though you are not a guest and go to the parks, they will give you the correct answer.

If you are not willing to tell the truth, then there is your answer, also.

Be sure to ask at the gate, do not call someone. People on phones are not really the authority on who can park in the parking lots.

No because being an onsite guest as well as an offsite guest (just earlier this week) I have only been given a time limit once ever. When I was an offsite guest earlier this week I was cut off mid-sentence and waived on through. They didn't care why I was there apparently. We weren't even given a parking permit and parked there with no problems at all.

Valet - then you can leave it there. I used valet parking a couple times and always asked if it was ok to leave my car after the meal and go to a park and was always told absolutely. One valet even told me of course, with valet parking you have 24 hours to pick up your vehicle.

Do this, go the gaurd house and tell them the truth about what you are doing. Do not fudge and say you are only eating, be truthful and ask can you park there even though you are not a guest and go to the parks, they will give you the correct answer.

If you are not willing to tell the truth, then there is your answer, also.

Be sure to ask at the gate, do not call someone. People on phones are not really the authority on who can park in the parking lots.

Don't worry, I would definitely tell the truth. I'm a "follow the rules, all the time" kind of girl, that's why I'm trying to figure out what the rules are.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

I just got back and we went to the GF and the poly many times to eat and were never given a parking pass and we parked at the poly one time the guy at the gate said if we hurry after we eat we would have time to jump on the monorail and go back to MK for the parade!

I have had dinner reservations at many resorts, and have never had a problem with my car being parked there. No one had ever given me atime limit, as long as you have your reservation I don't forsee a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter