• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parking... Does the parking lot at MK and Epcot get very full?

Angelica Rozon

Earning My Ears
We are locals and were thinking of driving everywhere (ADRs and Parks) since it is easier to transport our small kiddos in our comfy van vs a shuttle bus. My question is- do the parking lots get really full where there is none available? We are thinking of heading to park in am, then hotel for a nap and back to park for evening fun.

You don't say when you're going so it's kind of hard to answer the question. With that said, the lots do get pretty full and CM's direct you to a spot so you can't go find one "up close". Also, while the buses drop you relatively close to MK's front gate, the parking lot is at the TTC, so you need to take a tram out of the lot and then the ferry or monorail to the front gate, not as "easy" as you may think.

They can close due to capacity issues, but that is during the busiest times I would assume, like the holiday times.

It's pretty rare for the lots to fill completely to capacity unless you're coming at a super busy time period like the week of Christmas/New Year's.

It seems we always get directed to the farthest spot on a row! So it is a hike - going and coming. And, then either a ferry or tram ride.

We are locals and were thinking of driving everywhere (ADRs and Parks) since it is easier to transport our small kiddos in our comfy van vs a shuttle bus. My question is- do the parking lots get really full where there is none available? We are thinking of heading to park in am, then hotel for a nap and back to park for evening fun.

If a lot is close to be full, you will see the temporary signs going up as you drive in. However, we've gone to Epcot in the later afternoon and have easily gotten a space with no problems. As far as absolutely no spots being available, that will happen during the actual holidays of Christmas/New Years. Maybe it used to happen when all spring breaks were at the same time but not that likely these days.

Now, you say it's more comfortable using your comfy van versus a shuttle bus but think about Magic Kingdom. You would have to load your kids into your van, then park at the TTC, then unload the kids from the van into their strollers, then go to the ferry boat or monorail, then unload if necessary and travel from there to the front gates. If you took a shuttle bus, one unloading and one reloading. But you know your kids and stroller situation.

And, as a PP mentioned, at Epcot, you could be parked at the end of a row and in the back so unless you wanted to push the strollers to the front of the park and walk, you'd have to unload the strollers again. But, that's a choice knowing your kids and stroller situation.

Depends entirely on when you're going. Mid September and you'll get a closer parking spot after a mid day break. Christmas Day and you'll be turned away completely.

As others have said, the only time the lot at MK fills to capacity is Christmas Day itself. The rest of the year, none of the parking lots fill to capacity. We never stay on property, so we always drive. I agree with you that I like having the van and would not at all want to rely on Disney buses. Yeah, at MK you've got to take the ferry or monorail, but that's part of the journey for us, we look forward to it. From our experience, they fill up the lot one side at a time. For example, at MK, they seem to start with the hero's side, then move to the villains later. As others said, you don't get to pick where you park, the CMs direct you. It's luck of the draw. Sometimes you're at a spot right near where the tram loading is. Sometimes, you're aaaallllllll they way down the end of the row and it's a long walk to the tram stop. Just part of the deal. It's the worst at Epcot, the rows are super long. Then again, a trade off at Epcot is that for the first entire section of the parking lot, we find it quicker to just walk to the entrance than take the tram. Same for HS and AK. MK we almost always use the tram because you have to walk pretty far to get to the TTC in most cases (with some limited exception).

It's not really that big of a deal. We LOVE having our car available to us.

MK's lot used to fill to capacity more often(Easter, July 4..) than I recall in the past year (isn't parking closure "phase 1"). I'm guessing the former speedway conversion will lessen it even more.

DHS lot had capacity issues last Christmas season being the last year of the Osbourne lights

Epcot, on the other hand, has parking lots you never knew existed (until MK is closed)..and they are a loooong way from EPCOT's entrance.

Like most have said the lots really only ever fill to capacity on holidays like Christmas or NYE. They can get pretty full and you'll find yourself parking in the back though.

We always leave for a break then park hop to another park. Good thing about returning later in the evening is that if you show up late enough sometimes the parking attendants are gone and you can park where you like. I especially like this at HS and MK where I can drive up close and look for parking

Take your own car, you'll be fine

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter