NYC CRUISES PLANNING/INFO ThREAD!

We're using the DCL transfers to get from the hotel to the port on the morning of the cruise. Going from MA to NYC, and then NYC to MA, we're taking a cab to/from Penn Station and traveling on Amtrak.

And by the time the cruise rolls around, we may decide to just take a cab from the hotel to the port. But the transfers are booked for now.

I would cancel the DCL transfers from the hotel to the port. The cost from the TS area shouldn't be more than $20-$25 with tip. In 2008 I took a taxi from Penn Station to the port and back it was about $12 each way with tip for 2 people.

Love....johns pizzeria! It used to be an old church and we had gone at Christmas time is was just so gorgeous!!

MJ

I'd love to go to John's at Christmas, it's pretty in there anyway.
I'll probably hit Junior's next week and then John's the following week. Both places are reasonable to eat and the food is always good.

I would cancel the DCL transfers from the hotel to the port. The cost from the TS area shouldn't be more than $20-$25 with tip. In 2008 I took a taxi from Penn Station to the port and back it was about $12 each way with tip for 2 people.

I would have to agree with jill. The DCL transfers don't make sense in your case.

I'd love to go to John's at Christmas, it's pretty in there anyway.
I'll probably hit Junior's next week and then John's the following week. Both places are reasonable to eat and the food is always good.

I would have to agree with jill. The DCL transfers don't make sense in your case.

Obviously, financially it doesn't make sense to take the DCL transfers. :teacher: LOL

However, I love the idea of waking up the morning of the cruise and only dealing with the luggage as far as the lobby, and then having it magically appear in our stateroom. :wizard:

For a taste memory of your cruise, be sure to go to Jack's World (32nd between 6th and 7th Avenues) - on the 3rd floor, they've got the small Tortuga rum cakes in original, chocolate and coconut, for only $3.99!

ETA: I don't know how this ended up here. I started it as a new thread. I'll try again. Sorry!!

For a taste memory of your cruise, be sure to go to Jack's World (32nd between 6th and 7th Avenues) - on the 3rd floor, they've got the small Tortuga rum cakes in original, chocolate and coconut, for only $3.99!

ETA: I don't know how this ended up here. I started it as a new thread. I'll try again. Sorry!!

Your thread (this post) was merged with the NYC info thread to keep all the info in one place.
I also saw you started another thread on the same subject and deleted that thread since it was a duplicate.

For great family style Italian...you have to go to Carmine's but reservations are recommended. they have a times square location and an uptown location.

http://www.carminesnyc.com/

The Rigatoni Country Style is my fav dish!!! And make sure you have the TITANIC for Dessert...but make sure you have plenty of people to share it as it is huge!!

They also have a location at the Atlantis Marketplace if you can't get a reservation in NYC!!!

MJ

Carmine's is great.... But FYI ... YES!!!! you do need reservations. It's extremely busy. We pop over there from time to time for lunch. The portions are ENORMOUS! It family style servings... so one plate is meant for 4 + people. Just as your server and they'll tell you if you ordered enough / too much / too little.

If you're on the east side... and you like German food... Try the Haufbrau Beirhaus on 45th and 3rd Ave. I love going there for lunch ... The Weinerschnitzle is to die for... (Not to mention the beer). Long "Beer house" style tables... oompa music blaring... and they have an inhouse band at night called Alpine Squeeze...

For an upscale Greek experience... try Avra ... on 48th street between Lexington and 3rd Ave. Never had a bad meal there... (pricey)

Or... steak... Capital Grille on 42nd Street between lex and 3rd Ave. Smith and Wollensky on the corner of 49th St. and 3rd ave.

(just to name a few)

Oh... and if you like Cuban Food... and you happen to be walking around the city during lunch... Try Sophie's... (They're everywhere).

Oh... ya... and there's an Earl of Sandwich opening on 6th ave and 52nd or 53rd st... (not sure exactly where though)

Hi everyone! I just found this thread last night and read it all the way through. I am a New Yorker (Queens) and will be on the June 2 8-night.

I am more than happy to help answer any NYC questions too. If you don't mind staying in Queens there are some great hotel deals in Long Island City, which is literally JUST over the river into Queens and a safe area. I've seen $150/night at the Holiday Inn. :thumbsup2

I agree with others here recommending just grabbing a cab. They are everywhereeeeeeee in Manhattan and at the airports, and will be MUCH cheaper than Disney's transfers. For those of you with 4 adults (plus luggage), one time at the airport we had a ton of luggage plus a stroller, the airport the attendant working the line has had us wait to the side for a few minutes until a van came that we could fit into better. Not a guarantee, but a definite possibility.

I have eaten at Carmine's a few times - it is definitely a keeper. Very good. There are some cheaper eats if you go further uptown too.

Cheaper eats... anywhere but Midtown...

more thoughts...

Go to Chinatown... hit up Joe's Shanghai (on Pell St)... The soup dumplings are indescribable (I guarantee you've never eaten anything like them). It's family style ... big round tables and you just sit where ever they find room for you.

Little Italy... Try Puglia's on Hester St. Food's just "ok"... but the singing waiter is a trip.

One of my fav's... Mark Joseph's Steakhouse... Down in the South St. Seaport area. It's a knock off from Peter Lugar's... (I think the owner was originally from PL's...) It's not "cheap" ... but the Steaks and everything else are to die for. Just be warned... EVERYTHING is a la carte...

For those that might be hesitant to venture out beyond the "touristy" areas... I'd say that NYC is ranked among the safest city's in the world. The stereotype that the city gained back in the 80's is so far gone. I feel safe almost everywhere in Manhattan... Downtown, Midtown... Chinatown... Little Italy... Venture out of the tourist traps and explore. From neighborhood to neighborhood... you'll find everything, and things that you never knew existed...

For those that might be hesitant to venture out beyond the "touristy" areas... I'd say that NYC is ranked among the safest city's in the world. The stereotype that the city gained back in the 80's is so far gone. I feel safe almost everywhere in Manhattan... Downtown, Midtown... Chinatown... Little Italy... Venture out of the tourist traps and explore. From neighborhood to neighborhood... you'll find everything, and things that you never knew existed...

I agree!!! I have never felt unsafe. Don't be scared of the subway either. :goodvibes My neighborhood, Astoria, Queens, is known for it's eats - especially Greek food.

And most New Yorkers are VERY nice, don't be afraid to ask for help/directions.

Oh... ya... and there's an Earl of Sandwich opening on 6th ave and 52nd or 53rd st... (not sure exactly where though)

Earl of Sandwich has opened! It's on 52nd between 5th and 6th. I believe they have started serving their holiday sandwich now, too!

This is great to know.

I was there on Saturday Oct 1.No holiday sandwich!!! :mad: NYC will not be getting the holiday sandwich until Nov 1 according to the workers there.

Also, the place is TINY...like 5 tables and some stools! No brownie cremes :( They had no idea what I was talking about and no sprinkles on the cupcake coronets!

We went last night - and it was delicious!

But I echo NJGirl's comments - it's TINY! There were 5 stools, NO tables. The water in the soda machine is seltzer water, there is no normal water...very odd. And sadly, no holiday sandwich or brownie cremes! I was hoping for both as well.

I took a few pics that I will share, probably later today. :goodvibes

That's really annoying! They've been tweeting that the holiday sandwich will be ready in 5 days, etc., and that was a week ago! I'm going to tweet back and find out when it will be available.

I agree!!! I have never felt unsafe. Don't be scared of the subway either. :goodvibes My neighborhood, Astoria, Queens, is known for it's eats - especially Greek food.

And most New Yorkers are VERY nice, don't be afraid to ask for help/directions.

Ya... I know a few folks from your neck of the woods... Lol would never have guessed Astoria... Greek food? lol (sarcasm on)

I live in Staten Island... so I guess you'd say we're known for our Italian food? Based on the reality shows... you'd say we're known for our fist pumping.... (I'm so not that...)

Oh.. and yes... most New Yorkers will go absolutely out of their way to help or offer directions...etc. I work in very "touristy" area (Chrylser Building) and I'm actually surprised that people don't ask for help / directions much. But when they do, I always help out.

We have booked a 8 night Bahamas cruise in May 2012. We are driving to NY from WV and need to find parking, not in a garage.

Thanks in advance.

We have booked a 8 night Bahamas cruise in May 2012. We are driving to NY from WV and need to find parking, not in a garage.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the cruise board!! There is parking right at the port on the rooftop of the terminal and it is $30.00 per day. There are nearby garages (not sure about non covered parking lots) but you won't be able to park on the street for a week.

MJ

Thanks in advance.

You'll find lots of helpful info in this thread that I've merged your thread with.

Parking at the port is $30/day. Are you looking for parking at or close to the port or are you willing to travel a bit?

This is what we will do: we are driving up from DE and will park at Metropark, NJ and then take NJ Transit into Penn Station and then a taxi to the port. Parking at the Metropark station is $9/day and then it's $16 or $20 r/t for NJ Transit and then about a $12 taxi ride to the port. I find that the easiest for us since neither of us are willing or want to drive into the city, even if it is right over the river.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter