Parking scooter on bus

Tom/Val

Earning My Ears
What is the procedure for boarding the buses with a scooter? Do you need to drive on with people already seated? If so, will driver help? Not the best driver under pressure. đŸ˜¬

We are at WDW now
My SIL has to use one while we are here
She has had good luck so far and drivers are very helpful
You drive on forward and come back off forward
They let you go 1st

Thank you. That’s a relief. I read that there is a new rule that you need to get in line and board when your turn comes up with others boarding before, basically filling up the area that I need to back into.

Thank you. That’s a relief. I read that there is a new rule that you need to get in line and board when your turn comes up with others boarding before, basically filling up the area that I need to back into.
I hurt my leg and needed a scooter for a few days several years ago. i was told drive on then do like a 3 point turn and back in. Then you have to get out of the scouter for safety so you and your companions sit then the bus opens and goes back to normal height . This worked on multiple occasions then we had this really awful experience where the driver insisted I back on which caused me to tip and nearly fall. He was verbally abusive until he had me in tears. Other people spoke up and he said one more word and he would leave me and my children at the side of the road. So I called transportation and had them get a manager. The manager heard the guy and met us at AKL where the driver was removed from the bus. I got an apology (and some pins and fast passes delivered to the room) but it made me afraid to go on a bus again and we never left the resort again. Hopefully there are no more bad apples!

Just be warned that if you are in line for a bus that makes multiple stops (example: POR) you may encounter a situation where you will, indeed, have to park with people already seated on the bus. Additionally, buses that have an "open wait" (like at Disney Springs, for example) will often have passengers already seated when you arrive.

If this happens you have 3 basic options:
First option: drive on in "turtle mode" (aka slowest speed) and go very carefully and slowly. Focus on the driver who will give you instructions on where/how to park, and ignore the passengers. Practice makes better. You will most likely be a pro-level bus parker in less than 24 hours.

Second option: (not available for everyone) put the ECV in "freewheel" mode (take off the manual brakes at the back if it's a rental scooter) and push the ECV up into the bus, and park it that way. The driver will give you instructions on where/how to park. Ignore the passengers.

Third option: (not available for everyone) have a family member/other member of your travel party park the ECV for you (you will walk up the ramp after the driver tells you it's OK). Ignore the passengers.

Currently, most ECV riders are being seat belted onto their devices, rather than moving to a seat at the driver's

We spent 2 weeks in early September at WDW, and more than 50% of the time, I had to park my power chair while there were passengers already loaded on the bus.

The times I've had to take a bus when people were already on it (like at CSR with multiple stops), I just let the bus driver back me into the spot. They can see better than me and they've always offered. I think if they didn't offer or refuse, I'd be very careful but for sure I'm holding up the bus since I'm not going to risk hitting anyone so we can sit there all day if needed. I've not had a big problem ever and I go often. @mamabunny where were you staying where you had people already on the bus 50% of the time? Perhaps a place with multiple stops? Yikes!!!

Sometimes at the park returning to the hotel they have put the mobility devices in line with everyone, then pulled them out as they got closer to getting on the bus. If the CM's want you to do that, they'll usually tell you. This usually happens at closing time after fireworks when the busses are slammed with people. I generally don't stay for shows anymore because of it unless I can get back to the hotel some other way than bus so I haven't seen this in action in the past year or two.

I hurt my leg and needed a scooter for a few days several years ago. i was told drive on then do like a 3 point turn and back in. Then you have to get out of the scouter for safety so you and your companions sit then the bus opens and goes back to normal height . This worked on multiple occasions then we had this really awful experience where the driver insisted I back on which caused me to tip and nearly fall. He was verbally abusive until he had me in tears. Other people spoke up and he said one more word and he would leave me and my children at the side of the road. So I called transportation and had them get a manager. The manager heard the guy and met us at AKL where the driver was removed from the bus. I got an apology (and some pins and fast passes delivered to the room) but it made me afraid to go on a bus again and we never left the resort again. Hopefully there are no more bad apples!
Wow! I can’t even imagine! You did the right thing. Sorry he took your joy away. I hope he lost his job!

I’m very nervous driving it on, Just knowing I’m an inconvenience to the driver and the people waiting. I look normal, not overweight. Can I walk? Yes, but I have neuropathy with nerve damage in my feet.

Wow! I can’t even imagine! You did the right thing. Sorry he took your joy away. I hope he lost his job!

I’m very nervous driving it on, Just knowing I’m an inconvenience to the driver and the people waiting. I look normal, not overweight. Can I walk? Yes, but I have neuropathy with nerve damage in my feet.
I have diabetes with neuropathy but I twisted my ankle and got a nasty sprain while coming down some steps in studios with the kids. I went to urgent care and was put on crutches and told to keep off the leg so I had a scooter delivered and flew my sister down to help. That one CM was just awful. I don’t know if he was fired but the manager assured me that he would personally make sure that the CM never treated anyone like that again. He tried to deny it but the manager had heard him on the phone and many other passengers spoke up. My son said that man was so mean to my mom and my daughter called him inappropriate and rude which was kinda hilarious from a kid.

The times I've had to take a bus when people were already on it (like at CSR with multiple stops), I just let the bus driver back me into the spot. They can see better than me and they've always offered. I think if they didn't offer or refuse, I'd be very careful but for sure I'm holding up the bus since I'm not going to risk hitting anyone so we can sit there all day if needed. I've not had a big problem ever and I go often. @mamabunny where were you staying where you had people already on the bus 50% of the time? Perhaps a place with multiple stops? Yikes!!!

Sometimes at the park returning to the hotel they have put the mobility devices in line with everyone, then pulled them out as they got closer to getting on the bus. If the CM's want you to do that, they'll usually tell you. This usually happens at closing time after fireworks when the busses are slammed with people. I generally don't stay for shows anymore because of it unless I can get back to the hotel some other way than bus so I haven't seen this in action in the past year or two.
We were at AKL, and since there are 2 stops (one for Jamba House and one for Kidani Village) it is not uncommon at all to find passengers on the bus when you board.

I was never asked to back on the bus, because I am using my power chair now. However, in the 2 weeks we were there, we never saw a single ECV being boarded on any Disney transportation backwards.

We were at Disney the last 2 weeks of September at Copper Creek. My mom never had to back onto or off the bus. There was one time a driver backed her onto the bus carefully as it was already kind of full and parked her. It was actually quite the art form to watch how he did it and my Mom did say there is no way she could have done that.

We have only had 1 bad experience with the scooter on the bus and it was about 10 years ago now. Seriously, the previous poster's story about the bad driver sounds so much like the one we experienced. And the yelling and issue was all caused by him and not us. We talked to the transportation department and he was going to get some re-training.

You will be the first to board at your stop, which like others have mentioned, means there may or may not already be people on the bus. The driver has to come to the back of the bus to unfold the ramp anyway, so they'll be right there if you need help. I've seen many of them also park the scooter after the user gets on the bus and transfers to a seat.

My DH had to park the EVC several times with people on the bus. And yes, he was nervous as anything trying not to run over toes. I wish the bus driver would at least asking those 4-6 people to stand up and move forward for the few mins needed to park the EVC.

What makes me nervous is when I get on the bus, and there's a line of obviously anxious guests waiting at the front door. The bus driver usually asks if I want them to take over or whether I can do it myself. If there's a long line waiting, I ask him to park me because the bus drivers do it faster. On the other hand, DH and I were the only ones getting on a bus one time, and I backed in to the parking place myself. The bus driver said he was really impressed with my parking ability. But if there's a line at the front door, forget it! That's when I get flustered, bump into things, etc.

My DH had to park the EVC several times with people on the bus. And yes, he was nervous as anything trying not to run over toes. I wish the bus driver would at least asking those 4-6 people to stand up and move forward for the few mins needed to park the
My DH had to park the EVC several times with people on the bus. And yes, he was nervous as anything trying not to run over toes. I wish the bus driver would at least asking those 4-6 people to stand up and move forward for the few mins needed to park the EVC.
he may have before you could hear. had this happen one time with me. people were still telling driver they did not want to move. he then told them to watch their toes as he moved the ECV in place. he did step on women's open toed foot as he did get ECV in place. when they said they were going to contact manger about it he reminded them that it was all on tape and manger would see and hear him ask them to move forward while he loaded and that they refused. do not know if they did or not but they were not happy about there being a video

What makes me nervous is when I get on the bus, and there's a line of obviously anxious guests waiting at the front door. The bus driver usually asks if I want them to take over or whether I can do it myself. If there's a long line waiting, I ask him to park me because the bus drivers do it faster. On the other hand, DH and I were the only ones getting on a bus one time, and I backed in to the parking place myself. The bus driver said he was really impressed with my parking ability. But if there's a line at the front door, forget it! That's when I get flustered, bump into things, etc.
The very first time I drove it I had no instructions and I just assumed that you would squeeze to stop like bicycle brakes. Whoops. Completely ran over another guest. i was apologizing profusely but he ignored me and continued his phone conversation so I suppose I didn’t injure him too much.

Currently, most ECV riders are being seat belted onto their devices, rather than moving to a seat at the driver's
This is NOT safe to do. Even with you and the ECV belted in, your center of gravity is too high and you could be in danger of tipping over if the bus takes a fast or sharp turn. See this thread for details when a bus passenger was injured due to an ECV tipping over as the bus took a turn:

Woman Sues After Scooter Falls on Her During Walt Disney World Bus Ride

This is NOT safe to do. Even with you and the ECV belted in, your center of gravity is too high and you could be in danger of tipping over if the bus takes a fast or sharp turn. See this thread for details when a bus passenger was injured due to an ECV tipping over as the bus took a turn:

Woman Sues After Scooter Falls on Her During Walt Disney World Bus Ride

*I* fully agree that it's not safe to do, however it was both routine and common during our 2 week in September for drivers to belt the scooter rider in for the trip.

I would rather let folks know what to expect based on recent experience, so that they are not surprised when the driver insists you stay seated on the scooter, and use the seat belt.

Same here! Plus it doesn't help that there are different bus configurations. On one trip, I encountered 3 different ones. Just when I thought I had it down pat, I had a different seat configuration. You can tell from the seat colors (orange, purple, etc).

If the driver offers, I just let him do it. I usually have a cane holder attachment on the back so that makes it a touch more challenging. Plus, the ECV that I use is for more "pooh sized" guests. So I have to use a little more than turtle to get up the ramp, but then turn down to turtle for parking on the bus.

If I'm at a resort that has multiple stops, I go to the one that will pick up first in the morning. Coming home, the drivers are good about asking which stop you need and planning accordingly. When it comes to park closing, I purposely go wander around the shops, use the bathroom, grab a last minute snack, whatever it takes to let the hordes of people clear out.

One time at Hollywood Studios, I could see that the line for my resort was going to be really long, so lingered back a good 20 feet and let the bus get loaded up. They did the usual where people were standing in the aisles. I chatted with transport folks that were coordinating the buses while that was happening. The bus pulled away and less than 5 mins later another bus pulled up. I got on and we waited a few minutes. I ended up having my own private bus ride back. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter