Parking

So if we get dropped off(Uber or Friends in Orlando), how do they know that we aren’t driving?

So if we get dropped off(Uber or Friends in Orlando), how do they know that we aren’t driving?
I would assume because you didn't ask for a parking permit for your car. I don't know, our only trip we didn't have a car, so no first hand experience.

Somehow they figure it out - we often take Uber from MCO and have no problem.
Worst case scenario you stop by or call the front desk at some point and make sure they don't have it on your account.

I haven't had a vehicle on property for quite a while. So y'all are saying that if you are staying at one of the resorts you still need to pay parking fees per day? What if you are staying off property and are going to one of the resorts for dinner? Last time I was off property and did Cali grill I didn't have to pay-of course that trip was 5 years ago.

I haven't had a vehicle on property for quite a while. So y'all are saying that if you are staying at one of the resorts you still need to pay parking fees per day? What if you are staying off property and are going to one of the resorts for dinner? Last time I was off property and did Cali grill I didn't have to pay-of course that trip was 5 years ago.

Disney has instituted daily parking fees for resort guests. This applies only to overnight parking at the resorts, parking at the theme parks is still free for those staying at a Disney hotel. If you are not staying on site but visiting a hotel for dinner, like you said, you will be able to park for free.

The exception would be Swan/Dolphin, where everyone pays, but you’d be able to get your parking validated with dinner.

Disney has instituted daily parking fees for resort guests. This applies only to overnight parking at the resorts, parking at the theme parks is still free for those staying at a Disney hotel. If you are not staying on site but visiting a hotel for dinner, like you said, you will be able to park for free.

The exception would be Swan/Dolphin, where everyone pays, but you’d be able to get your parking validated with dinner.

Thank you for the update! I think it's a little ridiculous to have to pay for parking when you are spending a lot for your room. It's not as if you're in a big city where parking is at a premium, but I get it, it is open to abuse if they don't. Lots of other resorts do this too :(

Thank you for the update! I think it's a little ridiculous to have to pay for parking when you are spending a lot for your room. It's not as if you're in a big city where parking is at a premium, but I get it, it is open to abuse if they don't. Lots of other resorts do this too :(
Well, they could have raised room rates by that amount and then everyone would be "paying" for parking regardless of whether they have a car or not. Just another way of looking at it.

FWIW, DVC members and their guests staying on points (renters) do not pay for overnight parking. Our dues cover part of the parking lot maintenance and they cannot charge us to use what we pay to maintain. It's something to factor in if you ever consider renting DVC vs a hotel room.

Yeah, don't drive ;)

Seriously the only WDW resort not to charge for parking is Fort Wilderness, but only if you have a campsite. Even the cabins in FW have to pay for parking and each cabin has it's own spot.

Yes I think this is the most ridiculous money hungry thing they have done at the Fort. Who else is going to park in front of the cabin you are paying to stay in? But I guess they have to do this across the board.:rolleyes1

Yes I think this is the most ridiculous money hungry thing they have done at the Fort. Who else is going to park in front of the cabin you are paying to stay in? But I guess they have to do this across the board.:rolleyes1
I think this started when people taking advantage. I read people would invite the whole family reunion to park and take the bus to the parks.

What made me a little upset is that the parking is more expensive the better hotel you get. I think it should be the same...
I dont mind paying parking just because I dont pay for parking at the parks.
The only way around paying parking is be nice to the cm who checks you in and ask nicely. On two of the last five trips we have not been charged parking.

I got really angry when they first instituted the parking charge. I am fairly local and will never fly there, and I figured it was fair that people who flew got Magical Express and people who drove got parking. When they started charging for parking, it felt like I was subsidizing Magical Express and never getting to use it, and now I have to pay to park my car, when I have no choice but to bring my car. Now they're doing away with Magical Express and people are very angry about that.

In my anger, I vowed never to pay to park at a Disney resort. I've since calmed down a lot, but I'll still never pay for resort parking. I only rent DVC points now; I haven't reserved a room directly from Disney in years.

Parking charges were a natural progression when they outsourced valet parking services.

Even DVC has suffered. Our parking opportunities have been reduced and diminished. In early 2020 I wasn't allowed to check in and leave my car up front for that 5-10 minutes since I had nothing that needed unloading. I was there early and still had my offsite home available so no luggage yet. I don't do online check in as Disney doesn't usually get my credit cards - you couldn't do online without a credit card, so had to go to the desk.

I was ordered to go park before going to the desk. And, I have a pic somewhere of the empty area where I was told I couldn't stop in. To say the least, it wasn't a deluxe experience.

Eh, I kinda just take parking fees as a normal thing now. Everywhere I've traveled lately has a parking fee. The $15/night I'm paying in October is a lot less than what I paid per night in Vegas to not move my car for 5 nights. At least my $15 parking fee at the hotel is cheaper than the $25 theme park parking.

Eh, I kinda just take parking fees as a normal thing now. Everywhere I've traveled lately has a parking fee. The $15/night I'm paying in October is a lot less than what I paid per night in Vegas to not move my car for 5 nights. At least my $15 parking fee at the hotel is cheaper than the $25 theme park parking.

In Vegas (or any other city) they have limited area parking and need to build garages etc to fit all the cars so they have to pay for it somehow and Vegas is also a city. At Disney however they are a suburban area and already had the parking lots built and had plenty of parking for their guests. Adding a parking fee for a place that doesn't have the same issues as city is a pure money grab.

What is wrong with parking fees? They just discourage people from driving to the parks which is a good thing.

I'm just happy hotels have gone away from charging for internet. That always surprised me when I stayed at higher end hotels and they wanted $10/night for internet access.

I'm just happy hotels have gone away from charging for internet. That always surprised me when I stayed at higher end hotels and they wanted $10/night for internet access.

Not when a big portion of their guests are business travelers on an expense account. There's a reason the high end places nickel and dime you and the lower end has free breakfast. Based off the value people look for and who will pay for extras.

DVC still has free parking.

When CBR doesn’t have a fantastic deal it’s gonna cost more than renting DVC. Even now with 30% off CBR in July is more expensive, standard is $325 ($270 + tax + parking fee) and preferred is near $370. We paid half that 5 years ago. The good old days also when free food included table service at the moderates. And parking was still free.

Lovely resort and refurb. But we can rent DVC at Beach Club or Boardwalk for less and avoid the slap of a $100+ parking bill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter