Parks and Diabetes/Torn Knee Cartilage

Wild__Orchid

Earning My Ears
We will be going with my family in September. My uncle has type 2 diabetes. He will need to eat often, drink often but that means he will also have to pee often. Is there any special thing we can get that will allow him to leave a line to go to the washroom and come back in line with us? My father also has torn cartilage on his knee and needs surgery in a few months. Other than getting him a wheelchair or scooter. Again is there anything we can get that would decrease the amount of time he walks or stands on his knee?
I know Disney has tightened up restrictions on people just getting on the ride if the party has a member in a wheelchair. Just wondering if there is anything we can get to make their lives a little bit easier at the parks.

There is no program for just getting on rides anymore for the disabled, that was replaced with DAS years ago. You can read up on the DAS program in the sticky thread up top of the forum.

Make sure he understands the average person walks 7-10 miles a day at WDW- he should discuss it with his Dr before trying it.

He should talk to his doctor about walking 7+ miles per day around the parks. Queues will be the least of it. An ECV or wheelchair is likely his best option to avoid significant pain and potential damage to the knee. Nearly all queues are accessible, and for those that aren’t he’ll be directed accordingly.

As for the diabetes, check out the first post of the DAS sticky. Just know that “bathroom issues” seems to be a tough need to get accommodations. If he has other concerns related to his diabetes he may qualify for those. The T2’s in my family have not needed DAS for that but some do.

I have T2, but have never had issues with being in line.

Generally, you can leave the line and come back, but that can be difficult to find your party in a fast moving line. I just try to time my bladder to before I get in line. :-)

We will be going with my family in September. My uncle has type 2 diabetes. He will need to eat often, drink often but that means he will also have to pee often. Is there any special thing we can get that will allow him to leave a line to go to the washroom and come back in line with us? My father also has torn cartilage on his knee and needs surgery in a few months. Other than getting him a wheelchair or scooter. Again is there anything we can get that would decrease the amount of time he walks or stands on his knee?
I know Disney has tightened up restrictions on people just getting on the ride if the party has a member in a wheelchair. Just wondering if there is anything we can get to make their lives a little bit easier at the parks.
It's a lot of walking - is he able to walk miles on his knee (several days in a row) the way it is now? If you're staying on property, an off-site ECV rental is the best option for price and assures he will have it as park ones can sell out. If you're staying offsite with a big enough vehicle, you can get one that breaks down for transport.

He could always just use it to get to the parks and get back. Before my knees were so bad I often parked my ECV in a designated parking area (usually stroller parking) and I could leave it there for a few hours while I walked. At least he has it ready and waiting if he needs it. Another adult family member could also retrieve it for him if he parked it too far away and suddenly needs it. Having an ECV lets me keep up with my family on trips and go anywhere I want whenever I want to go (not dependent on someone to push a WC).

Of course if he is resistant to an ECV you may have to wait until you're there and rent a park one to see if he likes it. I personally like renting from Gold Mobility because their equipment is in good shape and it does NOT have that infernal BEEP BEEP BEEP backup noise the park rentals and other rentals (Scooterbug for example) has.

For the bathroom issue, I think waiting until you arrive and see how that goes is a good option. You can always speak with a CM at Guest services or a blue umbrella when you're there if he has problems remaining in lines. I think that's helpful since he can explain exactly what his issue and needs are. I hope you all have a great trip!

Of course if he is resistant to an ECV you may have to wait until you're there and rent a park one to see if he likes it. I personally like renting from Gold Mobility because their equipment is in good shape and it does NOT have that infernal BEEP BEEP BEEP backup noise the park rentals and other rentals (Scooterbug for example) has.
I am using scooterbug as much as I dislike them because I like the convivence of having them drop it off at the hotel and picking it up and not having to be there.

Tip if you do not have a car.... Minnivan's actually can take up to 2 ECV's per minnivan. We find them easier then the bus (even if more expensive).

…Tip if you do not have a car.... Minnivan's actually can take up to 2 ECV's per minnivan. We find them easier then the bus (even if more expensive).

There is a caveat here - hopefully I can explain so it makes sense!

The “standard” Minnie Vans typically don’t take ECVs; that’s because with the 3rd row of seating, there is very little space at the rear of the vehicle, even for an ECV that comes apart into multiple pieces.

There is however, at least 1 (is there 2, do we know?) of the special accessible Minnie Vans that will accommodate 2 mobility devices (so ECVs, wheelchairs, etc.) It is the same cost as the “standard” Minnie Van, but you need to specify in the app that you want the accessible van to be dispatched.

Minnie Van drivers can - and will - tell you that they typically can’t take a mobility device in the standard vans. They are not allowed to put the parts on the seats, or in the back floor between seats - this is for safety.

Just wanted to set that expectation - if you want/need to use the accessible van, be sure and select that in the app.

There is a caveat here - hopefully I can explain so it makes sense!

The “standard” Minnie Vans typically don’t take ECVs; that’s because with the 3rd row of seating, there is very little space at the rear of the vehicle, even for an ECV that comes apart into multiple pieces.

There is however, at least 1 (is there 2, do we know?) of the special accessible Minnie Vans that will accommodate 2 mobility devices (so ECVs, wheelchairs, etc.) It is the same cost as the “standard” Minnie Van, but you need to specify in the app that you want the accessible van to be dispatched.

Minnie Van drivers can - and will - tell you that they typically can’t take a mobility device in the standard vans. They are not allowed to put the parts on the seats, or in the back floor between seats - this is for safety.

Just wanted to set that expectation - if you want/need to use the accessible van, be sure and select that in the app.
There are at least 2 accessible minnie van's which can support ECV's. They are not always both on the road at the same time, but I know when we rode one last week, we hit both of them and the driver was commenting that they only had 2 accessible ones on the road at the time.

As you mention, make sure you select the accessible Minnie Van in the app. It may take longer, so plan a few extra minutes. We did not wait for ours for more than about 15 minutes generally last week. But those van's ARE special, because they have a lift and ratchets for the ECV's.

Sorry for resurrecting an older thread, but I just want to confirm. The last time that I used the accessible Minnie Van, I had to call a particular number.

So we can now just request the accessible Minnie Van through the Lyft app? No need to call that number?

Sorry for resurrecting an older thread, but I just want to confirm. The last time that I used the accessible Minnie Van, I had to call a particular number.

So we can now just request the accessible Minnie Van through the Lyft app? No need to call that number?
It is in the app.
This is a link to the WDW website page about Minnie Vans.

This Is copied from the Accessible Minnie van part of that page.
Accessible Minnie Van Service
Any Guest can order an Accessible Minnie Van. Guests do not need to use the vehicle’s accessibility functions in order to book a ride in an Accessible Minnie Van.
Here’s How to Order:
  1. Open the Lyft app within Walt Disney World Resort and enter your destination.
  2. Confirm your pickup location. Lyft will provide a fare estimate, and your payment will be processed directly through the app.
  3. Tap “Select Access. Minnie Van” (short for “Accessible Minnie Van”). If the option for Accessible Minnie Van service doesn’t immediately display, scroll through vehicle type options until it appears.
  4. Track your vehicle’s progress on a map provided by the app. You’ll also see the vehicle number to help you spot your car.
  5. Accessible Minnie Vans include the following:
  • Seating for 5 people
  • One complimentary car seat (which can be used by one of the 5 passengers)
  • 2 spaces for mobility devices (Guests may remain in their mobility devices for the duration of the ride)
There is a maximum capacity of 7 Guests per Accessible Minnie Van.

These pictures are of the accessible Minnie Vans at the Minnie Van storage area at Disney Springs parking lot.
There were 3 parked there when I took the picture. They have a rear lift. Because of the dark side windows I couldn’t see inside.

IMG_8899.jpegIMG_8902.jpeg
This disABILITIES Board thread has a review and multiple pictures including the inside of the vans.
From what I could see of the inside, nothing has changed on these larger accessible Minnie Vans. The main difference compared to that thread is being able to reserve on the app and not needing to call a separate number. I BELIEVE they still also have 4 passenger Minnie Vans available, but I didn't notice them on this walk thru the parking lot. Those are side entry minivans with a fold out ramp.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter