Part 3 USF

Nan

Mouseketeer
Cast: Me, DH, DD16, DD12

On to Universal Studios. As much as I love IOA, US is my favorite. I just love the atmosphere, the street sets, parks and all.

Our first stop was Hanna-Barbera. My girls just love this ride. It is fun, but just like Cat In the Hat, it is sort of jerky and bumpy, but fun. There are stationary seats for those who don't want all the action. The Express line worked great on eveything we did.

Next we went to another favorite - the Alfred Hitchcock tribute. We all enjoyed this. There are posted warnings for parents suggesting that this may not be appropriate for children under 13. I agree, but everyone knows their own children best. During the first part there is a montage of scenes from Hitchcock films that contains a couple of disturbing scenes from The Birds and a couple of others that I don't know which movie they are from. You see a scene in 3D from Dial M for Murder and a sort of trailer for The Birds in 3D. This might also be a little intense for the more sensitive children. The next part includes showing the "shower scene" from Psycho in its entirety. It is intense for me!! Anyway, like I said you know what your children can deal with. At the end there is a special effects demonstration with audience participants that is really interesting. But, these involve intense scenes, as well. For those who are ready for it, this is a great exhibit and it made me want to see all of Hitchcock's films.

Our next stop was Twister. This is a walk-through, stand-up demonstration. We did this last year using the old FOTL where we went in a side door and directly to the demonstration room without seeing any of the introductions. With the new Express system, we got to see the intros by the stars of the movie and this made the experience better. Last year, I was not particularly impressed with the whole thing, but I had an entirely different experience this year. I don't know if the demo is more intense than it was, but I came away impressed this time. In the final room there are at least 3 levels to stand on to watch the show. Last year we were on the bottom in the front. But, this time we were on the top level and I think this was much better. I suggest avoiding the front row and trying to get on one of the raised levels, the top one if possible. This is sort of intense, as well. Some of the younger children got a little upset during the whole thing. Again, use your own judgement when it comes to your children.

Next we looked around the painted sets at the end of the street that Twister is on. There are buildings that look real, but as you get closer you see they are sets. DD16 is interested in movie/theater technical production as a career and she really enjoyed seeing this kind of thing. Next stop - Kongfrontation. Another ride that seems more intense than last year. We just rode it for old time's sake and were pleasantly surprised. The tram dips and drops several times and you really get up close and personal with old Kong. DD12 was glad to get off and did not want to ride again - because of the tram dropping and dipping. The rest of us thought it was cool and fun. If you haven't done this one in a while, give it a try.

Across from Kong is "The Priscilla Hotel" which DD12 remembered from "Thoroughly Modern Millie". There is also a small park. WARNING: Here we had another "NSYNC moment". Sorry, but I have to report my whole trip and with two DD's these things must be dealt with. Skip this part if you are already nauseous from the NSYNCformation. During the concert there is a video short during "The Flower" that we believe was filmed in this little park and around the corner on Delancey Street on the steps by the "Optical Shop". So we, of course, had to take pictures on the "NSYNC steps". Anyone who can confirm that this is where it was filmed - or not- feel free!

Then we headed for the Monster Cafe. On the way there DD12 was invited to take part in a survey about snack foods. We obliged. At the end they gave her $10 for her trouble. A nice surprise. Now for the Monster Cafe. Food is served cafeteria style in an attractive "haunted house" setting. The menu consists of pastas, pizza and roast chicken. DD12 and I got the cheese-stuffed ravioli with a mild marinara sauce and a garlic roll. We both thought it was quite tasty, especially for theme park food. DD16 got a linguini Alfredo (I think). Anyway it was a large portion of pasta with chicken and vegetables and a garlic roll. She thought it was good and it was probably enough for two people. DH got roasted chicken with corn and potatoes. He enjoyed his, as well. They show short pieces of old "scary" movies on screens all around the Cafe. But, frankly, some of the scenes were a little unappetizing. Not terrible, or anything. We still enjoyed our meal there. We had tasty food that wasn't burgers and fries and were done in a flash due to the cafeteria style service.

"Earthquake" was our next stop. It seemed the same, but fun. Suggestion- in the room with benches, try for the ones on the back row, you can lean back on the wall.

By this time it was dark so we decided to brave "Jaws" at night. It was really fun in the dark. A whole different atmosphere. The houses you see at the beginning have lights on in the windows and the lighthouse is on which adds an air of realism to the whole thing. Our guide was really good and into the whole thing. His name was Skipper Ken. :) The heat from the fire is pretty intense on the left side of the boat. And at the end we were right up next to the electrical thing which seemed different than last year. I definitely recommend a nighttime ride on "Jaws". People have discussed the smell, and it is smelly in the boathouse, but that is what you would expect it to be like in a boat storage place. I think the smell just add to the atmosphere.

Next: MIB, Back to the Future and E.T.

Wonderful reports! I like your descriptions, can't wait for the remainder.

Memo to self: Remember to take part in survey at USF!

37 days to go

Cool! Thanks for the great report! :D

Nan,

I believe that the N*Sync-ers did indeed shoot some footage at USF. It's becoming quite a popular location for video shoots! In the UK one of our big pop bands, Steps filmed their video for "After The Love Has Gone" at USF and now it's a Mecca-like experience for UK teens heading over to the Studios with their unsuspecting parents... :D

Leeeee

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter