parties with a disability person

bestjsg

Mouseketeer
just curious , I noticed that after my 30 min wait in line (hot, sweaty and tire feet ) for a ride some party of 8-9 with one disable person on a wheel chair were waiting at the exit instead to go on the same ride.

how does that work ? is there a limit of how many non disabled people can tag on per disable person ? if not , why not ? people with say mobility issue are sitting on a wheel chair and are somewhat at that moment in a better situation than other non disabled , how come they don't need to 'sit' at the line like others, I just don't get it .....( no offense to the disabled but just feel that it is some what unfair to other guests.)

bestjsg said:
just curious , I noticed that after my 30 min wait in line (hot, sweaty and tire feet ) for a ride some party of 8-9 with one disable person on a wheel chair were waiting at the exit instead to go on the same ride.

how does that work ? is there a limit of how many non disabled people can tag on per disable person ? if not , why not ? people with say mobility issue are sitting on a wheel chair and are somewhat at that moment in a better situation than other non disabled , how come they don't need to 'sit' at the line like others, I just don't get it .....( no offense to the disabled but just feel that it is some what unfair to other guests.)

Wow...really? I don't really want to "go there" but one thing you said kind of bothers me. I know you said "no offense"..but to say that someone in a chair is at the moment in a better situation than someone non_disabled is quite frankly very offensive. Speaking from experience I watched my husband on our last trip(who was temporaily disabled and in a chair due to a back injury, and in some serious pain) do his best to stick it out with us. I would have gladly traded places in line if it meant he could walk pain-free. Don't assume those in a chair have it better than those standing in line please....no offense..I just wanted to share my thoughts.

This seems to come up often, and I usually don't reply. I get that each person's experience is different, and it might seem like disabled people are getting an "somewhat at that moment in a better situation than other non disabled" In reality, it isn't a better situation by any stretch of imagination.

For most rides in Disneyland, it actually takes longer for disabled folks. There's a limit of how many disabled people can be on a ride at any given time for safety reasons (in case of an evacuation). Pirates is a good example. My kids can go through the regular line at least twice before I can go once. The majority of the rides are like this. There are a few in Fantasyland that are a bit faster, but rarely is it faster anywhere else. Many times you'll see us at the exit, but don't see where we've been waiting and for how long.

As for the number of people allowed to go with the one disabled person, the limit is usually 6. It's entirely possible that another person in the group had an invisible illness (i.e. MS, AS, arthritis, autism, etc.), or the CM who gave them their Guest Assistance Card made an exception for one reason or another. On the other hand, they may have sneaked a couple more people in. Either way, it's the CM's job to decide if the person is following the rules.

Hope that helps!

Wow...really? I don't really want to "go there" but one thing you said kind of bothers me. I know you said "no offense"..but to say that someone in a chair is at the moment in a better situation than someone non_disabled is quite frankly very offensive. Speaking from experience I watched my husband on our last trip(who was temporaily disabled and in a chair due to a back injury, and in some serious pain) do his best to stick it out with us. I would have gladly traded places in line if it meant he could walk pain-free. Don't assume those in a chair have it better than those standing in line please....no offense..I just wanted to share my thoughts.

Well said - as a permanently disabled person, I thank you! I too would gladly wait in a 2 hour line with other healthy people any day of the week!

Some disabilities are not easily recognizable, they may not require a wheelchair.

Some lines may have those with special needs going quickly onto rides and other lines may have them waiting for a while.

I'm sure there are some that think they will get ahead by renting a wheelchair, but what can you do? Disney doesn't require anything. If everyone decides to go the wheelchair route then I guess the regular line will become shorter.

I do not know if there is a limit to how many can go with a person with special needs. If you saw the video I saw on YouTube last night then you wouldn't care. It was a Make a Wish Child and her family (with cousins) visiting the princesses.

I personally don't care if I had to wait an extra 5 minutes for each and every ride so that someone else who truly needs to go in the exit.

Very ignorant, offensive and I'll even say idiotic to voice their opinion openly about being mad that a disabled person and their friends/family got to line jump. I bet that their life is 10 times harder than yours and you shouldn't begrudge them this small concession!

yeah , wasn't going to answer this one, but had to come back to it.

Firstly,
"" sitting on a wheel chair and are somewhat at that moment in a better situation than other non disabled "", um where in the name of all that is holy did you get it into your head that someone sitting in a wheel chair is in a better situation than that of a stander.???
I cant even begin to understand the level of ignorance in that one sentence alone..

http://www.christopherreeve.org/site/c.mtKZKgMWKwG/b.5184189/k.5587/Paralysis_Facts__Figures.htm

please inform yourself before you open your mouth to spout how hard your wait in line was.. at Disneyland for a ride that you chose to go on ,it the heat, knowing you would have to wait.

I am not in a wheelchair (yet), but as my condition worsens a wheelchair will be in my future, so while I am still mobile I will happily wait in line, with tired feet, sore back, week muscles , pain shooting all over, because I KNOW, I'm so much more better off than the person sitting in a wheelchair..

I could go on, but I fear that I would be banned from this board..

How long did they wait at the exit? Do you even know? Or are you only assuming they waited less than you? Because I know while you wait 30 mins on Pirates, I've wait 45 mins at the exit. I've watched someone walk the regular line for Small World in 9 mins, while I have sat in the HA line for 20+ mins.

Do you seriously think someone sitting in a wheelchair is in a better position than a non-disabled person? I know you say "no offense", but it is terribly offensive... You should read this...

One trip we had a member who was temporarily wheelchair bound; my sister. FWIW, I thought that most waits were much shorter for us accompanying her. For example, PP regular line was about 30 minutes, we waited maybe 5. We also did not know any of the rules. So we walked up to each ride, asked what to do, and followed the directions we were given. Not one CM, on a two day trip, told us that our entire party of 10 could not accompany my sister. I didn't learn that a limit of 6 was a rule until later, on this board.

Having said all that, it is still important to note that my sister would much rather have not been suffering the ailment that made her wheelchair bound and stood in the regular line. But also, when people comment that their wait is more and the had to be separated from their group due to the size of their party I can't help but think that does not agree with the experience we had.

(this is in no way meant to excuse rude or ignorant comments, just a commentary on our personal experience)

There is suppose to be a six person limit.

I use a GAC because I need to avoid stairs. I see no reason why groups can not send all but the GAC user plus one through the line and when the rest of the group reaches the front the two join them to ride. Of course this will not work on all rides.

There is suppose to be a six person limit.

I use a GAC because I need to avoid stairs. I see no reason why groups can not send all but the GAC user plus one through the line and when the rest of the group reaches the front the two join them to ride. Of course this will not work on all rides.

This is why I will not go to Knott's with my paralyzed daughter and my son. How much fun is it to send my son thru the line alone, while I wait with his sister in the disabled line? What if her brother was only 6 years old? That would be unsafe and not going to happen.

I personally am okay with Disney's setup. Could it be improved? Probably. But separating families is not the way to do it.

This is why I will not go to Knott's with my paralyzed daughter and my son. How much fun is it to send my son thru the line alone, while I wait with his sister in the disabled line? What if her brother was only 6 years old? That would be unsafe and not going to happen.?

I was talking about large groups not a party of three. I would never have a young child go in a line alone EVER.

So, to be clear, you get annoyed when someone with a disability uses a program set up by Disney to facilitate their enjoyment of the park but it's okay in your mind for someone to leave their party in line for a popular ride while that person goes to get a FP for that same ride. Then it's okay for that person to get back to their party, even though they are "quite 'deep' into the line" forcing that person to "kind of have to squeeze thru the crowd to get back with (their) family".

I'm just trying to figure out what is, in your opinion, poor form and what is not.

But to answer your question, Disney has a limit of 6 people to a GAC, the person who needs help with accessibility plus up to 5 others in their party.

We always get a GAC when we go with our son who has Downs Syndrome. One many rides though we just go through the regular line as it is faster. The regular line for Pirates is way faster than going through the exit.

So, to be clear, you get annoyed when someone with a disability uses a program set up by Disney to facilitate their enjoyment of the park but it's okay in your mind for someone to leave their party in line for a popular ride while that person goes to get a FP for that same ride. Then it's okay for that person to get back to their party, even though they are "quite 'deep' into the line" forcing that person to "kind of have to squeeze thru the crowd to get back with (their) family".

I'm just trying to figure out what is, in your opinion, poor form and what is not.

But to answer your question, Disney has a limit of 6 people to a GAC, the person who needs help with accessibility plus up to 5 others in their party.

I saw that post too by OP in the RSR thread. I thought the same thing. :furious:

We always get a GAC when we go with our son who has Downs Syndrome. One many rides though we just go through the regular line as it is faster. The regular line for Pirates is way faster than going through the exit.

I take my sister as often as possible, and she too has Down's Syndrome. We have a GAC because her stamina is very low because she had open heart surgery when she was only 18 months. She can't wait in super long queues with out sitting down. That said, our wait is still just as long as the regular entrance, she just has the benefit of a nearby bench. Disney is very good about making the GAC holders wait as long as the normal entrance riders, as the GAC is not a front of line pass.

There are different levels of passes. There is the alternate entrance pass and the pass for wheel chairs. Those that ride wheel chairs and such actually still use the regular queue in Cal Adventures because it's more disability compliant. Alternate entry is for the mentally handicapped that can't handle the stimulation of standing in crazy lines (like autistic individuals).

Yes you will get those that abuse the program, but contrary to popular belief, they aren't gaining any advantage. Their wait is just as long. I can understand the OP's frustration, but I think it's due to ignorance. Just plain ignorance.

One little tip I have :) (both my girls have invisible disabilities) I tell my daughters this often. If you have to follow what you are saying -or for that matter start it with "no offense" you either need to rephrase it or preferably not say it at all. My girls are 8 and 12. It has worked well for them so far in life.

Other than that staying well out of this.

One little tip I have :) (both my girls have invisible disabilities) I tell my daughters this often. If you have to follow what you are saying -or for that matter start it with "no offense" you either need to rephrase it or preferably not say it at all. My girls are 8 and 12. It has worked well for them so far in life.

Other than that staying well out of this.

:thumbsup2

My dad is a 70 year old stage 4 terminal cancer patient who has been on chemo treatments nonstop for nearly 2 years. My mother in law is also disabled due to chronic conditions that affect her ability to be on her feet (standing or walking) for extended periods of time. Both of them will use wheelchairs on our upcoming trip next month. Our total party is 9. On the rides in DL that require wheelchairs to use the exit, we will not be separating our group unless forced to. Part of this trip is so my dad can experience the park with his granddaughters who are 1 and 4 before he loses his battle to such a horrible disease. It's not about trying to get an advantage by any means but it is about trying to make sure both of them are physically able to enjoy this trip that we are spending a lot of money on. Sorry for the tangent but its frustrating when people have no idea what someone else is going through and want to make rude and inconsiderate assumptions because someone does not look like they are truly disabled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter