• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Party Question

PollyannaMom

I was a click-clack champ!!
DH has asked me a party etiquette question (though I am even less social than he is šŸ˜† ) and Googling only made me more confused.

This:
IMG_3060.jpegwas near the bottom of an invitation.

The event is for New Year's Eve, and begins at 7pm.

What exactly does it mean / what is he supposed to bring?

• Wow
Reactions: GAN
Iā€™m getting the same interpretation as starry solo but tcfrog has the ultimate response. Sounds like someone is hosting for the first time šŸ˜Š

If this were at a restaurant I would think they were providing appetizers and were maybe encouraging people to purchase whatever else they wanted to eat that could be shareable? It's odd wording.

If this is a party at their house this is REALLY odd wording... :rotfl2:

I think they're saying that they will provide appetizers, but they would also like people to bring more to supplement what they have. By saying "encouraged" they mean that bringing food is not required, but appreciated. So you can show up empty-handed or you can bring something to share. Personally, I would bring some kind of finger food like meat, cheese and crackers, spinach dip and bread, etc. Those items don't need to stay hot and don't need heating or preparation when you arrive.

Hmmm....thinking what everyone else is thinking, something everyone can share. I'm with Luv Bunnies, bring a cheese and charcuterie board. Or, around here in NJ, an "antipasto"....which would be cheeses, meat, roasted red pepper, marinated artichokes and olives. Bruchetta is another go to for this kind of thing.

Goshā€¦.I feel dumb because I didnā€™t get the idea I was supposed to bring something from that wording. Thatā€™s very confusing and I would be perplexed by the invite. At that point I would just call and ask. I donā€™t think the host is going to get what they want because I donā€™t think guests will have a clue.

Goshā€¦.I feel dumb because I didnā€™t get the idea I was supposed to bring something from that wording. Thatā€™s very confusing and I would be perplexed by the invite. At that point I would just call and ask. I donā€™t think the host is going to get what they want because I donā€™t think guests will have a clue.

Me too. I thought maybe the host doesn't have enough ceramic plates for everyone to have their own. So, if you come as a couple, plan on sharing one plate between the two of you.

- Host providing appetizers, Guests are to bring sharable entree items (pot luck).
- Host providing appetizers, Guests are to share the appetizers on one plate. šŸ˜
- Host providing appetizers, Guests are to bring more appetizers that can be shared.
- Host providing appetizers, Guests are to guess what the Host wants beyond that. šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«

To OP, neither you or DH should feel less social ~ instead the Host in their attempt to maybe be fancy has completely dropped the ball on letting their guests know what to bring.

[Personally feel encouraged is a word that mostly should be banned.]

I also didnā€™t necessarily get that the ā€œshared plates are encouragedā€ mean that this event is a potluck affair.

For one thing, the invitation looks too formal to me for someone to think that it means ā€œHey, this is a potluck party, & weā€™re supposed to bring a dish to share!ā€ ā€œPotluck Partyā€ just doesnā€™t go w/ the level of the more formal font of the invitation, in my opinion - but I suppose it could be someone trying to be fancy in their wording.

My initial thought, upon 1st reading it, is that appetizers will be provided.

And the ā€œshared plates are encouragedā€ could possibly mean that invited couples are supposed to share a plate as they graze together on the provided appetizers.

Like, for instance, on some restaurant menus, there might be a note about sharing not being allowed or that there is a surcharge for sharing of plates.

And, on this particular invitation, the event organizer is saying, ā€œWe actually want & encourage our guests to share their plates.ā€

If the event organizer wanted to the invitees to bring something to share, Iā€™m thinking the wording would be a little different - please bring a DISH to share instead of the word PLATE. To me, PLATE signifies one plating/one serving while DISH indicates a food item plentiful to serve more than 1-2 people, if that makes sense.

I'd take it as they will provide apps and I should bring a dish, but I could be reading that incorrectly. I think it is up to the host to be clear if guests are expected to provide anything. It if is a potluck, then say so.

You donā€™t bring anything. It means there will be hor dā€™oeurves available as well as ā€œshareable foodā€ ā€” something being offered family style/tapas/mezze/dim sum ā€” and they encourage you to join in and ā€œbreak breadā€ with others.

Certainly, I could be wrong about this, but Iā€™m feeling about 95% confident here. :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter