Passcard vs Passport-worth it?

We're planning a similar trip (land crossing US > Canada) with a minor family member and I'm trying to figure out some of the same questions.

I just heard back from US Customs and Border Protection: "U.S. citizens ages 15 years old or younger, traveling by land or sea, may present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate for entry to the United States."

Canada is a bit more fuzzy. It seems clear that children 15 and under should be able to cross with a birth certificate. It's unclear whether or not a photo ID is also necessary. US CBP indicated that I should contact the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) at 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064. I have not done so yet.

Are you and your husband from a state that has issued Enhanced Drivers Licenses? If you have an Enhanced Drivers License, you can use that as ID for a land crossing of the US/Canadian border - no need for a passport.

https://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers-licenses-what-are-they

Get a passport, you might decide to make a spur of the moment trip and need one. Besides, with TSA being what it is (unpredictable) it may be required even for domestic travel at some point. I know that might seem crazy, but who'd have thought travel would be what it is now even 5-10 years ago?

We're planning a similar trip (land crossing US > Canada) with a minor family member and I'm trying to figure out some of the same questions.

I just heard back from US Customs and Border Protection: "U.S. citizens ages 15 years old or younger, traveling by land or sea, may present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate for entry to the United States."

Canada is a bit more fuzzy. It seems clear that children 15 and under should be able to cross with a birth certificate. It's unclear whether or not a photo ID is also necessary. US CBP indicated that I should contact the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) at 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064. I have not done so yet.

Are you and your husband from a state that has issued Enhanced Drivers Licenses? If you have an Enhanced Drivers License, you can use that as ID for a land crossing of the US/Canadian border - no need for a passport.

https://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers-licenses-what-are-they

Thanks! I just looked it up & the enhanced drivers licenses are not offered in my state. After reading these replies, I'm leaning toward getting passcards, especially knowing we can upgrade later.

I"m still unclear about my kids though. Do they need passcards in addition to presenting their birth certificates? Or are just their birth certificates fine?

Yeah - once you have ONE, you can pay the renewal rate to get the other one and only need to submit a photo with the application by mail. However, that doesn't work for kids under 16. They're required to show up in person for every application.

Thanks! I just looked it up & the enhanced drivers licenses are not offered in my state. After reading these replies, I'm leaning toward getting passcards, especially knowing we can upgrade later.

I"m still unclear about my kids though. Do they need passcards in addition to presenting their birth certificates? Or are just their birth certificates fine?

A birth certificate without photo ID is fine for under 16. But it has to indicate birth in the US. Or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad as well a Certificate of Citizenship. I don't like the idea of losing such a document without a photo on it, although the Certificate of Citizenship does have a photo. A lost birth certificate can be a nightmare with identity theft in the wrong hands.

Just remember the "upgrade" is just the cost of purchasing a full passport book. There's no price benefit.

The basic idea is that the validity clock doesn't start until it's needed. But if you've got a card that's been issued less than 15 years ago getting a new passport is priced as a renewal without a need to come in person. Of course the price could go up. I renewed back in 2010 before the prices went up, even though I had two years left on my previous passport.

It would be possible to get a passport card now, let it expire, and then get a passport book at the mail in renewal price less than 15 years later.

The basic idea is that the validity clock doesn't start until it's needed. But if you've got a card that's been issued less than 15 years ago getting a new passport is priced as a renewal without a need to come in person. Of course the price could go up. I renewed back in 2010 before the prices went up, even though I had two years left on my previous passport.

It would be possible to get a passport card now, let it expire, and then get a passport book at the mail in renewal price less than 15 years later.
For adults, yes. But a child's passport book isn't a renewal. Every time it's issued it's a "new" book. Requires in person application and costs the same each time.

If you get both the passport book and card at the same time, you pay the same price for each as if you purchased them separately.

Actually, renewal price for adult passports is the same as first time passports. Only difference, the first time passport you pay a processing fee.

I have both.
I would not JUST get a passport card.
Either get a passport or both.
I have both because I live in Niagara County New York and there have been times that I've been out and about and my friend and I decide to just go over to Canada so its a lot easier to always carry my passport card in my wallet vs a passport.
My experience with the passport card to cross the border is fine.
When driving from USA to Canada and back children under 16 will only need a birth certificate.

For adults, yes. But a child's passport book isn't a renewal. Every time it's issued it's a "new" book. Requires in person application and costs the same each time.

If you get both the passport book and card at the same time, you pay the same price for each as if you purchased them separately.

Actually, renewal price for adult passports is the same as first time passports. Only difference, the first time passport you pay a processing fee.

Well, yeah. I was getting that the "passport facility acceptance fee" is what makes a new adult passport and/or card more expensive. And if you need an rushed passport at a passport office, they charge that and an expedite fee. My wife did that for her first passport. If either of us needed to renew as an expedited application in person, that costs the $25. You can pay a mail in expedite fee, but obviously you're not going to get it next day or even same day as a pick up. It's going to take the time to get there, be processed, and sent back (with expensive fees for rush/overnight delivery).

I have both.
I would not JUST get a passport card.
Either get a passport or both.
I have both because I live in Niagara County New York and there have been times that I've been out and about and my friend and I decide to just go over to Canada so its a lot easier to always carry my passport card in my wallet vs a passport.
My experience with the passport card to cross the border is fine.
When driving from USA to Canada and back children under 16 will only need a birth certificate.

You need to be careful about birth certificates though. It's got to be a city/county/state issued one and not a hospital souvenir. Some have made that mistake and been turned back at the border. Maybe also some outliers like the American Samoa birth certificate issued by the federal government. And if it's a minor US citizen born in Canada (either via parent(s) being US citizens or eventual naturalization via parent(s)), that would effectively require a US passport, passport card, enhanced ID, CRBA, or Certificate of Citizenship. I don't know if minors are eligible for trusted traveler cards. The US has a rule that US citizens must enter the US on US-issued documents even if they're dual nationals.

Canada actually allows Canadian/US dual nationals to enter Canada on a US passport.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/dual-canadian-citizens.asp

I would get both the card and the book. I am in the process now of getting all my children new passports. They each had a child's passport (book) that has now expired. I wanted to wait until they were "passport adults" (16) before Getting them new ones, as these will be the last passports I buy them. After these expire, they will be real adults and can pay to renew their own passports! However, I am getting them both the card and the book. My oldest attends college out of state and flies home for breaks. After Jan. 2018, my state's driver's license (PA) will not be accepted as ID for domestic travel anymore so her DL can't be used. I have used my passport book as ID for domestic travel before, but I really don't want her to worry about losing her passport on top of everything else, so the card can be in her wallet for ID and the book can be at home, safe and sound.

If I could only select one, I'd go with a passport. As previous posters have said, it can be used even when a driver's license isn't sufficient.

Since EDL isn't available in your state, your options are Passport Card or Passport Book for you and your husband. If finances are really that tight, and you honestly can't imagine any other international travel, just get the Passport Card. It has limited use (only land and sea crossing in the northern hemisphere), but it will do what you need at this time.

Kids technically can get by with just an official birth certificate. However if you can manage to squeeze out the expense, get them the Passport Cards as well. We live near the Canadian border and make trips periodically; it's just much easier with DD to hand over a stack of cards at the gate. Based on personal experience, I think we move through easier and quicker with everyone having the Cards than with a BC for the child.

Passports are a great form of identification. If you ever get a new job and have to prove citizenship, the Passport trumps all and no other documentation is necessary. In my state we recently had to present all that info to renew drivers' licenses (for REAL ID requirements), and the Passport made it easy. Your kids are young and will be registering for schools and/or other programs in the coming years -- again, Passport makes that easy. My nephew was director at a Boy Scout camp and he mention how much easier the registration process was for kids with a Passport. Passport Cards work for all the situations I've noted.

Minimum requirement for your Niagara Falls vacation -- legally, technically, you and your husband can get Passport Cards and bring birth certificates for the kids. Enjoy your vacation!

Since EDL isn't available in your state, your options are Passport Card or Passport Book for you and your husband. If finances are really that tight, and you honestly can't imagine any other international travel, just get the Passport Card. It has limited use (only land and sea crossing in the northern hemisphere), but it will do what you need at this time.

Kids technically can get by with just an official birth certificate. However if you can manage to squeeze out the expense, get them the Passport Cards as well. We live near the Canadian border and make trips periodically; it's just much easier with DD to hand over a stack of cards at the gate. Based on personal experience, I think we move through easier and quicker with everyone having the Cards than with a BC for the child.

Passports are a great form of identification. If you ever get a new job and have to prove citizenship, the Passport trumps all and no other documentation is necessary. In my state we recently had to present all that info to renew drivers' licenses (for REAL ID requirements), and the Passport made it easy. Your kids are young and will be registering for schools and/or other programs in the coming years -- again, Passport makes that easy. My nephew was director at a Boy Scout camp and he mention how much easier the registration process was for kids with a Passport. Passport Cards work for all the situations I've noted.

Minimum requirement for your Niagara Falls vacation -- legally, technically, you and your husband can get Passport Cards and bring birth certificates for the kids. Enjoy your vacation!
Of course there are differing views on whether or not using a birth certificate as an identity document is a good thing, but it is the legal thing.

We got our kid a passport and passport card at 16 months. Our kid's first airplane flight was on Southwest before turning 2, so we used the passport card as proof of age, although their website only mentions birth certificates. It's also been used to get into Canada several times. Last year we were thinking of going to BC after our kid's passport and passport card had expired during a trip to my BIL in Seattle, but we didn't. I suppose the birth certificate would have sufficed in a pinch, but I would have felt uneasy about it.

And yeah - I've used my passport card for employment eligibility verification. Even when it wasn't specifically mentioned as an acceptable document, I was told by some people that legally it's a passport, although I'm not sure if that really the case. However, it's perfectly acceptable for any ID purposes. I remember using it as ID at a bank, and the teller said that she'd never seen one before. She was well versed on IDs and probably went through training where she saw images, but not a real one in person. At airport when I use it at security they don't even bat an eye. They've seen them countless times.

But always be careful using a birth certificate, because it's not always a sure thing. It's not a minor using one, but I read about a case where someone called up customer service at a cruise line about a closed loop cruise, they asked is he was a US citizen, and he said yes. They said his birth certificate with photo ID would be good for travel. He brought his birth certificate and they said he couldn't board. Turns out he was a US citizen at birth (through his parents), but born in Canada. They didn't tell him that a Canadian birth certificate wouldn't be acceptable. The whole thing about closed loop cruises and birth certificates with photo ID only applies to native US birth.

Thank you! I am trying to avoid getting both, due to finances.

Thank you for that link! In reading through, I noticed it says:
Entry into Canada: Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens.

Children under 16 need only present proof of U.S. citizenship.

Entry into the United States: When traveling by air from Canada, U.S. citizens are required by U.S. law to present a U.S. passport book. A few exceptions to this rule and a full list of documents that can be used at land and sea borders are provided on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) website.

It sounds like children under 16 do not need a passport or passcard? What would be a proof of US citizenship? Their social security cards?

Birth Certificate showing that they were born in the US.

If you are only going to get one get the passbook as it is good for everywhere. Living within close proximity to Windsor we got both for not wanting to carry the full passport to go.

Birth Certificate showing that they were born in the US.

That's not the only document that indicates US citizenship for a minor though, but it is the most common. Anyone who was born overseas but is a birthright US citizen through one or both parents can apply for the State Department's Consular Report of Birth Abroad until age 18. However, that has to be made at a US embassy of consulate outside of the US. After that they can theoretically get a Certificate of Citizenship from the USCIS (formerly INS) and possibly even before if they enter as a child and then realize that they had birthright citizenship. That document is for a broad range of cases where a child has become a US citizen via one or both parents, such as adoption, parent(s) naturalizing (a friend of mine originally from Hong Kong got one in HS), or sometimes birthright citizenship.

There are some outlying cases where being born in the US doesn't automatically confer US citizenship, but those cases are rare. It's basically only for the children of foreign diplomats where both parents would have diplomatic or full consular immunity. However, we treat government-issued birth certificates in the US as de facto citizenship documents, so there have been cases where the children born to foreign diplomats have applied for and received US passports or used their birth certificates as proof of birthright US citizenship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter