Passengers are furious after Norwegian Cruise Line removed Antarctica from its itinerary after everyone had boarded

Kennywood

Kennywood
1707845951807.png

Passengers aboard a Norwegian Cruise Line ship are furious about a change in their itinerary which means they are no longer heading to Antarctica.

Those aboard the cruise ship were expecting to travel to Antarctica and South America. But after they boarded, they noticed the trip's name was quietly changed on the app to "Round-trip of South America" last week.

On February 9, a TikTok account called @ruinedvacation was set up, where a woman expressed her frustration with what had happened and what she said was poor communication from the company.
"I'm on board Norwegian Star," the passenger said. "Our ship is not going to Antarctica."

She said the name of the cruise had "secretively" been changed to a Round-trip of South America, and she believed the decision had been made before passengers boarded the ship.

She said customer service cited "operation reasons" for the change but did not elaborate.

A notification was sent to passengers to inform them they would not be reaching Antarctica.

"While we try to maintain original itineraries as much as possible, unfortunately, at times modifications are made to optimise the itinerary or to accommodate certain circumstances," it read. "As such, in order to enhance the guest experience, the itinerary has been revised."

The woman behind @ruinedvacation said passengers began gathering in the communal foyer of the ship to demand answers.

"Customer service are refusing to acknowledge us," she said, showing the large crowd of angry passengers that was forming.

"They've sent a security officer out to calm us down, but we just refuse to be told: 'Sorry we're not going, and we're not going to give you reasons.'"

She said passengers felt "scammed" by the ordeal because everyone on the ship had paid "a lot of money" to go to Antarctica. Trip costs vary, but one passenger on Facebook said he had paid $13,000 for his ticket.

"They think we're idiots," she said. "We're not idiots, and we're not prepared to just accept this sitting down."

Passengers also discussed the situation in the Facebook group "Norwegian Star South America & Antarctica," saying they were not being provided answers of effective communication.

"No explanation," wrote one passenger named Shane C Grant. "The entire ship are really pissed off. My wife and myself only found out via whispers in the hallway."

The woman running @ruinedvacation provided an update the following day, saying some crew members had appeared during the gathering in the foyer.

"But we are still very much in the dark," she said.

She said the decision was made by the NCL head office in Miami, not by anyone on board, on January 31. She said what passengers had been told was that the ship was on a "go slow order" and could not travel at the speed it normally would.

"Do they know why? We don't know," she said, adding that passengers still had not heard from the captain.

"Is it saving fuel costs? Is it something with the ship, that it can't handle the long journey? We don't know," she said. "But they made that decision."

She said for many people, this was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and NCL had taken that away.

Cruise companies can often change their itineraries at the last minute, leaving passengers frustrated and angry. In December, passengers on an MSC Cruises trip were told they would be heading from New York to Boston instead of the Caribbean just hours before they were scheduled to set sail.

Source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ne...1&cvid=1bc023b21cbf42cdb77ace56f0fb51a1&ei=51

Theres information missing from that report.

I saw that video and the follow up.

They are going to the South Shetland Islands instead of Antarctica mainland. The South Shetland Islands are a group of islands just off Antarctica mainland.

The ship is still going very far south to the Antarctica region. Theyare still getting a cruise, they are still going down to Antarctica, just not to the very specific location that was originally planned.

This is what happens on cruises. Its in the fine print, itinerary's get changed all the time. There are operational reasons that happen unexpectedly and like whats happened here, shore side make decisions that affect on board life.

I get that cruises can change itineraries, but why can't Norwegian give them answers? If i paid $$$$$ for a cruise I would expect to be informed as to the whys and wherefores. We cruised on DCL right after Hurricane Sandy, and the Fantasy was late arriving in Port Canaveral, so our cruise was several hours late in boarding, plus we had several port changes, but the exhausted crew kept us informed.

I'm usually firmly in the "sometimes ports get changed and you just have to roll with it, it's in the terms you signed, etc." camp. However, if what was originally reported is true, that's a pretty big change. And changing the actual name of the itinerary is very telling-they don't usually do that when they have to change itinerary last minute.

If they're on a go slow order then something is probably wrong with the ship-nothing catastrophic, of course, but enough that they can't go full speed.

If I'd paid that much money and what is arguably the focal point of/reason to book the cruise has been canceled or greatly altered, I'd want some answers and possibly some sort of compensation, too.

Antarctica seems to be the "IT" destination these days. And if it was the main destination of this itinerary and considering the amount of money they paid, I would be pretty mad and at the very least want to know why. Sea conditions, issues with the ship? Would all make a difference to me. They at the very least owe them an explanation. I wonder if there was some fine print in the cruise contract substituting the Shetland Islands. Mainland Antarctica is a pretty unforgiving place. Interested to hear how this plays out.

I would be upset, too. Unfortunately with the verbiage guests agree to in the cruise contracts, the cruise companies hold the right to change itineraries for any reason. I hate the language most of them use when announcing these changes though - to "enhance the guest experience" . . . really? I'm sure those aboard don't feel like their experience has been enhanced.

I'd be mad. It's most likely a once in a lifetime cruise and I'm sure everyone onboard booked the cruise to go to Antarctica. I don't agree with the well "it's still a cruise". If you wanted "just a cruise" you could go to the Caribbean. I don't blame people for being disappointed and angry.
I hate when I hear stories like this because it always makes me second guess cruising as a means to see exotic locations.

NCL seems like a pretty shady company. I've only booked one cruise with them, but they messed up that one, too. They completely changed the itinerary after we'd already booked, well more than a year out, without any explanation and without any offer for a refund or compensation of any kind. They changed the itinerary name and the ports to be visited and just pretended that everything was normal and that they hadn't done anything wrong. So, I'm not a fan.

And if you sell as cruise as a cruise to Antarctica and then you decide not to go to Antarctica, but don't tell anyone until after departure, then that's extra bad. There's no way that NCL made that decision right after departure.

"While we try to maintain original itineraries as much as possible, unfortunately, at times modifications are made to optimise the itinerary or to accommodate certain circumstances," it read. "As such, in order to enhance the guest experience, the itinerary has been revised."

I am so tired of this kind of PR corporate speak. Disney does it too often too. It's insulting to customers' intelligence and actually escalates customers' dissatisfaction instead of mitigates it. To me, it shows that someone who doesn't travel in real-world conditions is directing the communications, because otherwise, they would understand these little puffery-type lies aren't a good idea. Customers would be more understanding if they were just told the truth, in my opinion (which has been shown to be the case from studies in other areas, such as medical malpractice).

Disney did something much less major, but still frustrating to us, before a pre-COVID cruise. They canceled the Aladdin show on the Fantasy with a week or two notice and without explanation and without a substitute show (which the sailing the week before ours had). When I reached out to Disney, it responded with a generic message about how they were enhancing the show for future guests (or some other nonsense - I can't fully remember), which made me more bothered than before I reached out. All I wanted was a reasonable explanation and a little sympathy showing it understood why the family was disappointed.

This Antarctic switch would mean I never sailed the line again. There is a difference between missing a port or two, but its outright fraud in my opinion to completely change the type of cruise that was booked if they had knowledge ahead of time and hid it and it wasn't a last minute emergency like a hurricane.

And yes, assuming it doesn't rise to the level of fraud, the line has the right under the contract to change itineraries with no notice or compensation, but that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do for the business long term. These things add up and eventually change the demand for the product. Anything that the average person would feel was "cheating" the customer, shouldn't be defended by pointing to a contract term.

Last edited:
This summer those of us on the 10-night France/Iceland/Norway had one of our Iceland ports cancelled. It was pretty frustrating. Apparently there was an issue with the dock not actually having been built. The kicker was that DCL literally knew about it for MONTHS and didn't tell us until less than a week before departure. How did I know they knew? Well, because literally there was NO cruise ship dock and other lines were either cancelling the port or tendering.

This is on a cruise that already had a large number of sea days and to remove one of the Iceland days, which, let's be honest, is the main reason most people book that itinerary, was so disappointing. Like, I confess, I actually cried. And we got nothing. It was extra frustrating when I learned a couple months later of another DCL ship that missed a port (the Fantasy?) and they got some onboard credit and some kind of discount on a future cruise. Me? I got to file a claim with trip insurance because our excursion wouldn't give us back our deposit. So I can relate to these cruisers' feelings.

This summer those of us on the 10-night France/Iceland/Norway had one of our Iceland ports cancelled. It was pretty frustrating. Apparently there was an issue with the dock not actually having been built. The kicker was that DCL literally knew about it for MONTHS and didn't tell us until less than a week before departure. How did I know they knew? Well, because literally there was NO cruise ship dock and other lines were either cancelling the port or tendering.

This is on a cruise that already had a large number of sea days and to remove one of the Iceland days, which, let's be honest, is the main reason most people book that itinerary, was so disappointing. Like, I confess, I actually cried. And we got nothing. It was extra frustrating when I learned a couple months later of another DCL ship that missed a port (the Fantasy?) and they got some onboard credit and some kind of discount on a future cruise. Me? I got to file a claim with trip insurance because our excursion wouldn't give us back our deposit. So I can relate to these cruisers' feelings.
I had some friends on that cruise. Sounded kind of bad all the way around, not just due to the missed port. They had a good time, but it was one of the worst Disney cruises they have done.

I loved our NCL cruise and have another one booked. This is making me wonder. IMO it's not about the missed port, despite how upsetting it would be to take an Antarctica cruise and miss the main attraction, it's the way it's being handled. They aren't being upfront about it, nor or they making an effort to "make nice" about it. They are missing the main attraction AND not being told why.

I had some friends on that cruise. Sounded kind of bad all the way around, not just due to the missed port. They had a good time, but it was one of the worst Disney cruises they have done.
We were on the cruise after that and I heard some rumblings that it wasn't a great cruise. I had no idea why. We had the no alcohol for 24 hours that was sprung on us one minute before they decided to tell us no alcohol that night. I thought that was weird and annoying and I'm sure they new this way in advance. Not as annoying as having a port cancelled that they new way in advance because they didn't have a dock.

There are risks involved in cruising due to unforeseen events, but the things they know about and don't tell you is bad. Then to top it off they don't compensate you.

I was also on the Iceland cruise and had a blast and we are platinum CC so it wasn’t our first with nothing to compare to. I was very disappointed with the loss of one of the ports but they really brought some good entertainment onboard and had different onboard activities. They had Don Ducky Williams giving animation drawing classes too. The cold weather meant the pool deck was less utilized and the indoor spaces more crowded but it wasn’t unbearable.

I thought you needed a more specialized ice breaker type ship to do the Antarctica sailings, so I honestly was surprised to read that a regular NCL cruise ship was offering this itinerary. I was under the impression that the seas to get there were very rough.

I thought you needed a more specialized ice breaker type ship to do the Antarctica sailings, so I honestly was surprised to read that a regular NCL cruise ship was offering this itinerary. I was under the impression that the seas to get there were very rough.
No. Not really icebergs where they go. However, the Drake Passage is pretty rough.

Update
NCL have now made a statement.

The go slow order was due to regulatory requirements in the area. These are slower speed requirements that were put in place by the International Association of Antarctica Tour Operators for the summer of 2023 through to 2024 in order to protect migrating whales.

It seems that NCL really messed up as these go slow requirements have been known for a long time and the change of itinerary should not have been a last minute thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter