Passholder discount restrictions on number of "guests"

And again, a quote directly from the AP discount page:

“Passholders must present their valid Annual Pass ID in the “Tickets and Passes” section of their My Disney Experience app (or their valid Annual Pass card with the Pass expiration date) and a valid government-issued photo ID at the time of purchase to receive the discount.”.

Their rules directly say what you have to show to get the discount. It’s not hard. Opening an app to save 10% is hardly an inconvenience.

“Passholders must present their valid Annual Pass ID in the “Tickets and Passes” section of their My Disney Experience app (or their valid Annual Pass card with the Pass expiration date) and a valid government-issued photo ID at the time of purchase to receive the discount.”.

Their rules directly say what you have to show to get the discount. It’s not hard. Opening an app to save 10% is hardly an inconvenience.
I think the problem is there is no consistency in the system. I’ve used my card alone (no ID) to get meaningful discounts and I’ve been questioned for the app and ID to buy a bottle of water from a gift shop.

Alas I have not had a single CM accept that as proof for discounts so no, it's not a homepage shortcut to the AP.
How many have you honestly tried?
😂. Forget CMs, even I wouldn’t consider that as proof I’m a passholder.
Why? It’s not going to show up if you don’t have one. What’s the pointing in Disney adding that if it’s not supposed to be a quick validation of someone’s status?

How many have you honestly tried?

Why? It’s not going to show up if you don’t have one. What’s the pointing in Disney adding that if it’s not supposed to be a quick validation of someone’s status?

Because for discounts they specifically say what is required. If you want the discount, follow the rules. Decorations in the app don’t qualify per Disney’s rules, anymore than my AP MB sliders do. Sometimes decorations on a web page are just decorations.

And I have had many CMs say they specifically need to check the expiration date. I automatically open the app & pull the page up without them even asking. I don’t get what the big deal is, a 30 second effort on my part saves me 10%. Not a bad trade off.

Because for discounts they specifically say what is required. If you want the discount, follow the rules. Decorations in the app don’t qualify per Disney’s rules, anymore than my AP MB sliders do. Sometimes decorations on a web page are just decorations.

And I have had many CMs say they specifically need to check the expiration date. I automatically open the app & pull the page up without them even asking. I don’t get what the big deal is, a 30 second effort on my part saves me 10%. Not a bad trade off.
Do you understand permissions and roles in IT? “Decorations” are very easily linked to a permission set only displaying to those the system has determined a meet the criteria. The system can verify AP itself and does so for other purposes but a CM needs to see an actual date?

Do you understand permissions and roles in IT? “Decorations” are very easily linked to a permission set only displaying to those the system has determined a meet the criteria. The system can verify AP itself and does so for other purposes but a CM needs to see an actual date?

Doesn’t matter. Disney has not set it up that way & specifies what is needed. Their discount, their rules. Even if their rules come about because of their crappy IT.

No. I said SCAN ticket media. Looking at the physical AP with its broad year exp was always dumb. Scan the AP, MB, room key, app, Magic Key, whatever media you chose to use. The system will verify it’s valid and the name without inconveniencing the AP holder and causing backlash at your CMs when the tech doesn’t work. Disney is shortcuting the process by forcing everyone to show the AP in the app- and they’re so cheap about it they haven’t even programmed in an option to show it from the app homepage without having to work through the menu 🙄
When I used to show the hard AP they always scanned it in stores. Restaurants process all over the place. So that is nothing new.

What I was saying is that Disney seems to be moving towards NO hard tickets. Last time I asked they told me they were phasing them out and we would use our ticket in our AP. Up until last couple trips MB was outright refused and only recently did they allow at toll booth WITH my ID. It is faster for them than looking at app. Not really sure if the AP shows on room keys, but most the time I've been offsite anyway as I am sure many AP holders are especially if local. I don't know it's just as easy for me to open my phone as it is pulling my AP card from my bag. I'd actually prefer it over getting my wallet out.

Interesting, not my experience at all. I believe Flying Fish is operated by Disney proper. Every time it has been altogether on one check, including alcohol and their system automatically discounted all the food and not the alcohol without needing to separate anything into a separate check. And like I said I even got 5 discounted water park tickets directly from Disney and no head was turned. Can I ask when your experience is from? because I wonder if their systems have been updated since then to accurately apply the discount without needing to split up a check.
Applying the discount to the extra person was about 2 years ago. The separate checks for the extra (child's nondiscounted) meal and alcohol was November 2023, at 6 different Disney managed restaurants.

yeah, except when your phone dies (like dead dead) on day 2 of a 12 day trip. Point is, they see who you are and that you have an active pass when you scan into the turnstiles or when anyone from guest services scans your MB - it is well past time for Disney to implement a system that scans and verifies at all point of sale locations or just provide an AP card with a printed expiration date since they list that as an option in the very excerpt you provided...

Last edited:
When I used to show the hard AP they always scanned it in stores. Restaurants process all over the place. So that is nothing new.

What I was saying is that Disney seems to be moving towards NO hard tickets. Last time I asked they told me they were phasing them out and we would use our ticket in our AP. Up until last couple trips MB was outright refused and only recently did they allow at toll booth WITH my ID. It is faster for them than looking at app. Not really sure if the AP shows on room keys, but most the time I've been offsite anyway as I am sure many AP holders are especially if local. I don't know it's just as easy for me to open my phone as it is pulling my AP card from my bag. I'd actually prefer it over getting my wallet out.
But this has nothing to do with NO hard tickets - that was just one of many items in gottalovepluto's list of what could be scannable to verify passholder status. At discount locations they won't even scan your magic band - the thing you use to verify your identity, pass, everything about you Disney-wise, etc., upon entering the park - the thing every guest services person can scan and see you are a passholder. The thing that can be used to get into hotel rooms and pay for stuff all over the place... Shouldn't be that difficult in 2024 to have every POS location able to scan whatever you use to enter the park, whether that is physical media or a magic band or your phone/app, and verify you are a valid (not expired) passholder.

I've had my phone die in the parks. It sucks. And I do prepare with a portable batter pack charger. But unfortunately my supposedly waterproof phone up to 6 feet immersion was not so waterproof when it got wet on a ride and it perma-died on day 2 of my 12 day trip. Guest services gave me a hard AP and said that would work just fine along with my ID. Which it did everywhere except Hollywood Studios. This was this past September. 90% of the time, yes, it is no problem to use the app. But smartphones, like all electronics, are not foolproof. And what about the clientele that don't have smartphones? Disney, as a company in the business of customer service and customer experience, has an interest in accommodating those guests I would think. And it's ridiculous to say, dem's da brakes, Disney makes the rules, suck it up. We the paying customers are perfectly enabled to give feedback and disagree with a megacorporation's policies. Especially the ones that aren't guest-friendly.

Last edited:
:thumbsup2 I was gonna go with Entitled jerks. But idiotic works too. The very 1st thing it says under the Dining Discounts is

“These discounts are:

• only for the use of Passholders and, unless otherwise noted, up to 3 Guests”
But of course entitled jerks, these things don’t apply to you. :rolleyes: I mean, present your discount, expect it to apply to yourself & 3 guests. If you get it for more than that, just thank the CM & count yourself lucky.
Who is "expecting" the discount to apply to more than 3 guests? I just asked a question if they were strict about this rule. Then I found that in my experience they were not. I didn't even ask them to apply the discount to myself and 7 guests, they just did. I assume that the policy is primarily to prevent someone from coming in with a small army and getting the discount. I know this is hard for some of y'all rules police to understand but black and white policies are often not applied strictly as written. They are usually to establish some parameters to keep egregious misuse from occurring. Then, in practice, guest experience and making customers happy within reason rules the day. I for one appreciate that companies in the customer service business and their nice customer-oriented employees generally want to go above and beyond for their customers.

But this has nothing to do with NO hard tickets - that was just one of many items in gottalovepluto's list of what could be scannable to verify passholder status.
The point that is missed here is that hard tickets were listed as an option for proof - and I said Disney is moving away from giving out hard tickets for any kind of ticket media, including APs. So showing might not be an option if there are no hard tickets.

At discount locations they won't even scan your magic band - the thing you use to verify your identity, pass, everything about you Disney-wise, etc., upon entering the park - the thing every guest services person can scan and see you are a passholder. The thing that can be used to get into hotel rooms and pay for stuff all over the place...
That MagicBand is no proof of anything, it's just a tool. I think the only reason they finally agreed to accept that plus ID at toll booths was to keep traffic moving. Folks are already approaching unprepared for entry, digging in their bags for money etc. MagicBands can be handed off so you'll still need to show ID.

Shouldn't be that difficult in 2024 to have every POS location able to scan whatever you use to enter the park, whether that is physical media or a magic band or your phone/app, and verify you are a valid (not expired) passholder.
Well we don't know how the software is written and Disney has chosen this route. Its just not a big deal. Want a discount, provide proof of ownership.

I've had my phone die in the parks. It sucks. And I do prepare with a portable batter pack charger. But unfortunately my supposedly waterproof phone up to 6 feet immersion was not so waterproof when it got wet on a ride and it perma-died on day 2 of my 12 day trip. Guest services gave me a hard AP and said that would work just fine along with my ID. Which it did everywhere except Hollywood Studios. This was this past September. 90% of the time, yes, it is no problem to use the app. But smartphones, like all electronics, are not foolproof. And what about the clientele that don't have smartphones? Disney, as a company in the business of customer service and customer experience, has an interest in accommodating those guests I would think. And it's ridiculous to say, dem's da brakes, Disney makes the rules, suck it up.
But those are Disney rules and we all agreed to them when we purchased our tickets.

I can't wait until they stop taking cash (some other parks are already doing that). I did an all cash trip last month. You should have seen the chaos I created at the hotel when I dropped the pile of cash. Front desks are not set up for cash.

We the paying customers are perfectly enabled to give feedback and disagree with a megacorporation's policies. Especially the ones that aren't guest-friendly.
Yes you are. If YOU feel their process is not workable for YOU, you should make your opinion known to them.

Who is "expecting" the discount to apply to more than 3 guests? I just asked a question if they were strict about this rule.
Why would you ask how strict they are about the rules unless you were looking to get them bypassed?

Then I found that in my experience they were not. I didn't even ask them to apply the discount to myself and 7 guests, they just did. I assume that the policy is primarily to prevent someone from coming in with a small army and getting the discount. I know this is hard for some of y'all rules police to understand but black and white policies are often not applied strictly as written. They are usually to establish some parameters to keep egregious misuse from occurring. Then, in practice, guest experience and making customers happy within reason rules the day. I for one appreciate that companies in the customer service business and their nice customer-oriented employees generally want to go above and beyond for their customers.
Pixie Dust does not mean the rules are not there to be enforced. While your CM broke the rules, we all agreed to them when we purchased our APs. "Rules of the day"??? Yeah that should not be a thing. CMs should enforce them alike and across the board.

If someone doesn't like the rules they will have to agree with, then I suggest moving on to somewhere else.

It tells you right on the homepage if you’re a pass holder.
View attachment 848154

Easily screenshot and saved, maybe from the past or from someone else's account. A quick flash to CM - who could tell. Looking at the ticket page WITH DATE that shows currently valid and matching full name to ID is the best way to insure proper application. And if someone is traveling without a smartphone, a hard ticket to be scanned plus ID.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter