Passport for Alaska cruise

If I were you, I'd just renew, if you're not in a hardship to do so. I renewed my kids back in January and got them back within four weeks. They didn't expire until next year but we have a cruise we're going on in July and I just didn't want to push it.
I think this is what I’m going to go with. I can get an appointment over spring break and should have them back in plenty of time. Thanks for the suggestion!

Canada likes you to visit, but not overstay. As others have said, the passport is a requirement to be let back into the USA. The US Customs agents where surprised that CBP let you in with your documents.
Haha- how true. First words out of Canadian customs when we got off the train in Vancouver. Welcome to Canada! When will you be leaving? 🙃

Last edited:
We did an Alaskan cruise last summer. My dd's passport was also getting close to it's expiration date. The 6 month rule is for some European and Asian countries. North American countries are only 3 months. We went ahead and got her a new passport, we received it in 10 weeks.

If I were you, I'd just renew, if you're not in a hardship to do so. I renewed my kids back in January and got them back within four weeks. They didn't expire until next year but we have a cruise we're going on in July and I just didn't want to push it.
Technically kids passports can’t be renewed, they need a new passport, and need to go in person with their parents.

"REAL ID" is not generally acceptable for crossing the border. Are you sure it isn't an "enhanced driver's license" (which is a REAL ID)? Since you live near the border that's what I'm assuming. Not all states issue "enhanced driver's license" but yes it works like a passport for land crossings. "REAL ID" does not.
This is super confusing. Michigan is another border state that issues both. The last time I renewed my license, it took me a good ten minutes to figure out that I didn't need an EDL on top of my Passport and Global Entry card, and that the "regular" REAL ID was fine.

You guys are also forgetting you must go through customs at the port when you leave and get back. Those are also Canadian customs. So it’s better to be safe and have a passport. I don’t know and wouldn’t chance it at the port. You could get there and might not get on the ship

This is super confusing. Michigan is another border state that issues both. The last time I renewed my license, it took me a good ten minutes to figure out that I didn't need an EDL on top of my Passport and Global Entry card, and that the "regular" REAL ID was fine.
Yeah, if you have a Passport, then you don't even need the REAL ID. But, much easier, IMO, to just bring my REAL ID with me when I fly than a passport (and risk losing it).

Yeah, if you have a Passport, then you don't even need the REAL ID. But, much easier, IMO, to just bring my REAL ID with me when I fly than a passport (and risk losing it).
A passport card or a passport is required for sea travel, with the exception of a closed loop cruise that meets certain other requirements, where a government-issued photo ID and a certified copy of a US-state-issued birth certificate (and in certain circumstances certified copies of territorial-issued birth certificates) may be used.

A passport card or a passport is required for sea travel, with the exception of a closed loop cruise that meets certain other requirements, where a government-issued photo ID and a certified copy of a US-state-issued birth certificate (and in certain circumstances certified copies of territorial-issued birth certificates) may be used.
I was responding to a poster that was talking about renewing their driver's license and REAL ID vs. EDL. If you have a passport then you can use that for air travel and don't need to get REAL ID (though it's certainly more convenient than taking your passport every time you fly domestically).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter