• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Passports at Foreign Port?

DrHickenlocher

Don't mess with the chameleon
A bit of cruise advice I read on a website suggested that when leaving the ship at a destination port, to take photos of your passport information page and leave the actual passport locked in your stateroom safe. Can any veteran cruisers comment on if this is okay to do? Do you need your passport to get back onboard the ship?

The upside is that you don't risk getting your passport stolen in a foreign country. The obvious downside is that if you don't have your physical passport with you and something happens and the cruise ship sails away, you're stuck in a foreign country without your physical passport. Maybe the photograph of your passport information page is good enough at a U.S. Embassy, maybe not. Just trying to balance the risk/reward.

A bit of cruise advice I read on a website suggested that when leaving the ship at a destination port, to take photos of your passport information page and leave the actual passport locked in your stateroom safe. Can any veteran cruisers comment on if this is okay to do? Do you need your passport to get back onboard the ship?

The upside is that you don't risk getting your passport stolen in a foreign country. The obvious downside is that if you don't have your physical passport with you and something happens and the cruise ship sails away, you're stuck in a foreign country without your physical passport. Maybe the photograph of your passport information page is good enough at a U.S. Embassy, maybe not. Just trying to balance the risk/reward.

There are some ports which require you take your passport, but there are many which don't require a passport when you exit the ship. I haven't yet visited a port which requires a passport off the ship and leave our passports in our room safe. I take with me the Navigator which has a phone number for the ship's agent. If something happens and you won't make it back on the ship, you can call the ship's agent. They can have officers go to your room and remove your passports from the safe and leave them at the port.

Most ports do not require a passport to be carried. All you need to access the dock when you return to the ship is your ship's card and a government issued photo ID. A driver's license works for that. Or you can bring your passport, it's up to you.

If you don't make it back to the ship, and your passport is aboard (in the safe in your room), DCL (security) will enter your room, open the safe and retrieve your ID paperwork (passports). Then they will be left with the port agent for you to collect when you make it back to the dock.

The photo of the main page of the passport doesn't really help (or not help) when processing a new emergency passport, but it couldn't hurt.

At Disney ports you need your KTTW card to get off and back on the ship**. At the port security point, you’ll need your KTTW card and government ID to access the ship. Drivers license is what we always use, and I believe that’s true for most passengers. Passport also works, though.

We always put our passports in the safe when we get on, and leave it there until the end of the cruise. We don’t worry about problems ashore...so far so good. For an emergency (medical or some problem missing the ship), Maggie’s advice is excellent. You can call to have your passport retrieved. It’s also been said that if you don’t show the DCL security will look in your safe for your passport and leave it with the port agent, that makes sense, but I don’t know of a reliable source for that information. I suspect it’s true. Don’t fret, in the hugely unlikely event the ship sails away with your passport because you didn’t make it back, it’s not like you’re stuck on that island for life! The port agent and US consulate/embassy are your support system. It will be inconvenient, but solvable. Take a Navigator as MM says and don’t fret.

We did take photos of our passports on our phone cameras, but I bet they wouldn’t impress any officials. Never had to try.

**few exceptions will be announced in the Navigator

This is a good question.

I have an additional query - how do you contact DCL in case you run into problems while in port on an excursion? What is the contact protocol?

This is a good question.

I have an additional query - how do you contact DCL in case you run into problems while in port on an excursion? What is the contact protocol?

The port agent will be listed on the Navigator you get in your room the night prior. Take that with you.

I am never without my passport in my possession when I am outside of where I am staying when in a foreign country. A passport is your only proof of citizenship, and often permission as a foreign national to be allowed in that country. For those advising to take color copies or printed out photos of your passport, those have no validity as a form of identification nor proof of citizenship; however, they are a wealth of information for identity theft. As the OP pointed out, you may not know the circumstances in which you may be placed, but if you need to deal with local authorities, it is much easier to be able to immediately produce worldwide accepted proof of your identity and citizenship by having your passport with you. Also, you never know what situations, emergency or otherwise, may require you to have to travel separate of the ship, and that is far easier with a passport in hand.

One example of a port that REQUIRES a passport is St. Petersburg, where they actually stamp your passport. Some other European ports (I think Mediterranean) have laws about identification so the navigators says you need your passport. In these two scenarios, it is important to have your actual passport.

Just trying to balance the risk/reward.

This is exactly the right question that we must each ask ourselves.

The risk of bringing your passport everywhere you go is that you may lose it (which is a boon for identity thieves, carries a LARGE expense, and can happen quite easily.)

The reward of bringing it everywhere you go is that IF you miss the boat or otherwise need it due to some unforeseen emergency, you won't need to get it from the port agent.

So each of us must decide which of these things is more likely and will have a greater impact. As has been stated, most ports do not require the passport to be brought ashore with you, so it is entirely up to each of us to decide.

Have a great trip!

We have traveled all over the world, both on cruises and on land trips. If I’m at a hotel with a safe, the passports always stay in the safe. And in some countries, you have to turn your passport in when you check into your hotel so the hotel has it while you are out. Personally I would never take it with me unless absolutely required. I had my purse opened and my wallet stolen on a busy train in Lisbon a few years ago. I was so thankful that they just got money and credit cards and not our passports. The cards were a pain to cancel but American Express was able to get me a replacement card the next morning as we were heading out to get on a cruise. If the passport had been stolen too it would have been very stressful to get to the American embassy for a replacement in time to make the cruise. In the old days you needed passports to travel between European countries but with the EU that’s no longer an issue. And even in middle eastern countries I have never been asked to produce my passport beyond check in at the hotel.

i leave a copy of the passport in our hotel room or on the cruise ship (in case the passport is lost or stolen), but i carry the actual passport with me.

There are many countries that actually require you to carry your passport (or national ID card - which the US does not have).

Take the passport - that’s what it is for. If you run into a problem or get delayed returning to the ship, you’ll NEVER hear anyone say “too bad you have your passport with you.”

On Disney cruises we have taken in the Caribbean and Panama Canal, the KTTW card, which is required to get off and on the ship, and government ID are the only things we carry while on shore. I have the Navigator App on my phone for information and emergency numbers, just in case. We have found traveling in Europe and Asia (by plane), the rules vary with the country and carrying the passport, tucked in a body belt pouch, works the best.

We only take our passport off the ship (or out of a hotel) if it's required. Otherwise, we do lock it up in the safe. I have the passport number and photograph in a secure password program on my phone.

Many European ports, especially northern ones, do require that you take your passport. Occasionally, you are required to turn in your passport to the ship and then pick it up the next day. You will always be told if you need to have your passport. We didn't require it for Italy but had to have it on us in Athens. We didn't need it for Turkey but had to turn it in after Turkey before going to Mykonos and then picked it up after Mykonos (apparently due to visiting Turkey in between two Greek ports). We didn't need it for Malta, Tunisia, Corsica or Villefranche. We did need it for Helsinki, St. Petersburg (OMG they are soooo sloowww to process your entry and return), Stockholm, and Copenhagen. I don't think we needed it for Berlin (Warnemunde). I don't recall having it in Estonia.

I always take the Navigator or port agent information off the ship with me as well as the phone number and address of the closest Canadian embassy in the event that we have issues whether or not I have my passport with me.

For my upcoming trip I bought a money belt to wear under my clothes for when I need to have my passport physically with me. That way it's at least a little less likely to be stolen by the type of thief who just grabs your purse quickly.

One example of a port that REQUIRES a passport is St. Petersburg, where they actually stamp your passport. Some other European ports (I think Mediterranean) have laws about identification so the navigators says you need your passport. In these two scenarios, it is important to have your actual passport.
Do they require a travel visa in the passport?

Do they require a travel visa in the passport?

For St Petersburg, if you do not have a Port Adventure booked with DCL or an excursion pre-booked with a licensed touring company, they will not let you into the country without a tourist visa. Tourist visas cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $400 per person (non-refundable) to apply for, about 6 months to process, and are not guaranteed to be approved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter