Passports Expiry

If it’s for a cruise you will want to carefully check all requirements. Guests have been turned away at the port who don’t meet passport requirements.

I am pretty sure it would be fine for an Alaska cruise as we went last year with less than 6 months before expiry :)

Is it 6 Month Minimum requirement for Canadians
before expiry for travel?
Check the requirements with the cruise line and each country the cruise will be traveling to. If you have no plans to travel after this last cruise, you may not need one if all the countries allow you to travel there with a passport that is good through the end of your cruise.

It looks like the Bahamas has a 6 month requirement if you are traveling through another country (but only 3 months if you flew there directly from Canada). So be sure to verify all these nuances.

An Alaskan cruise usually only visits the US and Canada. A Caribbean cruise often visits countries other than the US (and, sometimes, Canada). Almost all Eastern Caribbean cruises visit at least one island in The Bahamas. Western Caribbean cruises usually visit Mexico.

You must have appropriate travel documznts (passport, visas when necessary, etc.) for EACH country on your itinerary and your documents must meet whatever requirements exist for that country. If you don't have the paperwork, boarding may be denied, without a a refund from the cruise line.

Safe travels!

steve

With a quick google search I found the following:

Dominican Republic requires 6 months from your return date.
Jamaica requires 6 months from your return date.
Bahamas is 6 months from your return date.
(most if not all of the Caribbean islands require 6 months)

Mexico is the same as the USA - duration of trip.

Just google the ports of entry your cruise will be going to so you know for sure.

Isn't it $120 for a 5 year passport renewal? Better to just go 10 year for $160.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio.../canadian-passports/fees/passport-canada.html
I agree...if you are going to go through the process anyway, get the 10 yr passport. You never know when you might need it.

As far as needing the passport for a cruise. If it is a closed loop cruise (starting and finishing in a US port) then technically all you have to do is be eligible for entry to the US....so a valid passport up to the day you return to Canada. That said, should you find yourself in a situation of being debarked at any port you could then need a passport that meets the requirements of that country. Personally, I would never travel without a passport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter