passports renewal and getting the "real ID card

Real ID is super easy. Most state sites have a checklist. The only people I know that have had trouble were lazy about updating documents, especially if they had a name change due to marriage.

As Carolyn and others have pointed out, people who have U.S. passports will not need to have a Real ID-compliant driver's license or state identification card.

From the DHS website:
View attachment 852373

I now have both, but only because it was time to renew my DL a year ago so I took the necessary documentation to upgrade it to a Real ID. Otherwise I would have kept using my passport past the Real ID "deadline" date. Some people here may well choose to do the same.
For me not having to carry my Passport was reason enough to get a Real ID 4 years ago. Thanks to the pandemic, I never used it until last week and it worked just fine. Ironic that my first use of it was 2 months before it expires.

I now have both, but only because it was time to renew my DL a year ago so I took the necessary documentation to upgrade it to a Real ID. Otherwise I would have kept using my passport past the Real ID "deadline" date. Some people here may well choose to do the same.
That's what I would have done too as one of the updated dates fell when my DL was still good but wasn't REAL ID yet. When the REAL ID date got extended yet again it fell beyond my DL renewal date so I went ahead and got the REAL ID at that time.

I would have only used my passport to fly domestically as a stop gap to get me through when my DL renewed which for me was only like 8 months. It's a personal decision but I don't feel comfortable carrying around my passport when it's not necessary to do so. Unfortunately for my husband his backpack with his passport was stolen in CA. He took his passport because his DL was expiring and knew he could fly domestically showing that. It was more expensive and harder to deal with (especially getting a photo which was rejected at first) to get a new passport when a DL would have been much easier. So personally I would, unless the paperwork is making it impossible to get, a REAL ID and save the passport (or passport card) for international or border crossing.

I did the real ID in Philly a few years ago. I brought every legal document I had LOL. Didn't help that I changed my named twice since I was married (one change) then divorced and married someone else (2nd name change). I had all the paperwork for me and DH and the DMV person was so kind and appreciative that I was organized and had lots of documentation. But I did my research ahead of time for what they needed. It really wasn't that bad at all. We were in and out in well under 2 hours. I know my cousin in NY spent almost 7 hours in the DMV and still didn't get to see anyone and had to go back so every experience is different.

For me not having to carry my Passport was reason enough to get a Real ID 4 years ago. Thanks to the pandemic, I never used it until last week and it worked just fine. Ironic that my first use of it was 2 months before it expires.
Why wouldn't it work? Its not even required yet.

Why wouldn't it work? Its not even required yet.
Correct, not required. But haven't flown since before the pandemic. So was prepared for some changes, which there were several. On the Sacramento end, TSA took our picture, you no longer have to take your shoes off, and they no longer use the "puffer" booth. They had you walk past a bomb sniffing dog.
St. Louis was the same as my last flight 4 years ago. No photo taken, you have to take your shoes off, and they still use the puffer booth.

This is what I plan to do. I last renewed my license shortly before Real ID’s were being issued. In my state, your license is good for 8 years. Mine expires next year, and I’ve been flying domestically for the past 7 years with no issues. If it’s not delayed again and the requirement goes into effect May 2025, I’ll only have a few months without it (and don’t travel all that much), so I’m not concerned. My passport doesn’t expire until 2027.

When I renewed my DL, I did it online and it was a real ID.
It varies by state on that.

For mine the first time you get a REAL ID you can't do it online. Once you have a REAL ID then you become eligible for online renewal however you still have complete the necessary requirements such as submitting an eye exam done within the last 12 months if you're doing it online as eye tests are done for DL renews in my state.

We renewed our passports in November just did the regular time frame not expedited. We printed the form and filled it out at home and then had the picture taken at a Fed Ex store. After that went to the post office to have the form, picture, and old passport mailed using some type of priority mail. I do not remember which we selected. We got the new ones in 3-4 weeks and got our old passport back around that time as well. They come from different places so are sent separately. We did our Real ID when the original required by date was announced before it was changed. We wanted to get it over with and not wait. Because we were not due to renew for many months we could not make an appointment we had to walk in. We were told Thursdays are the least crowded at our location and to try to come when they first open. When we checked in the person made sure we had the required documents and were told to sit down and wait for our numbers to be called. We had not even gotten to seats before we were called. It was very fast. We were so lucky. We had to wait to receive them in the mail which maybe took a week but got a paper to use as our temporary license. Things might have changed since then and it depends on your state.

Check to see if your local library system offers passport services. Ours does (including pictures for a fee) and it was a much more enjoyable experience than heading to the post office.

Nothing tough if done it early & everything is a misery if at the end.

Real ID just needed a collection of items like a utility with name and address within 30 days. Some states and regions have very long wait times so I would do it early, unless you are in a mood for a state road trip. Your state should have a checklist.

The passport just needed to renew online, unless it is a growing kid where you kind of just need to do a redo because of all the changes and probably to prevent custody stuff that could be a thing,

I recently did my passport by mail. I got photos at CVS and sent the application; passport came in the mail about a month later.

My driver's license was automatically updated to a real ID when I renewed in 2020. All Michigan DLs are now real IDs, so everybody gets one. It's the only ID I need when flying domestically. Before that I used my Nexus card, but could've also used my passport.

Nothing tough if done it early & everything is a misery if at the end.

Real ID just needed a collection of items like a utility with name and address within 30 days. Some states and regions have very long wait times so I would do it early, unless you are in a mood for a state road trip. Your state should have a checklist.

The passport just needed to renew online, unless it is a growing kid where you kind of just need to do a redo because of all the changes and probably to prevent custody stuff that could be a thing,
Child passports last 5 years, so they always need a new one before 16. Both parents need to be there in person. They will need to apply in person for their first adult passport, after that they can renew through the mail.

It's insanely ironic that the gold standard for US ID is the passport, but a "RealID" driver's license makes you jump through a lot more hoops than getting a passport. The PITA of the DIY photo standards notwithstanding, the passport is MUCH easier to get.

In most states it's especially difficult to get RealID for minors, because they just don't get much "official" mail. I used DD's passport, birth certificate, original SS card, and a copy of her school transcript (but for the transcript to be valid for this purpose it needed to have her street address on it, which it didn't because her school has digitized all communications. I had to petition the school's IT Dept. to populate the transcripts with home addresses, then wait while they made the software changes.)

It's insanely ironic that the gold standard for US ID is the passport, but a "RealID" driver's license makes you jump through a lot more hoops than getting a passport. The PITA of the DIY photo standards notwithstanding, the passport is MUCH easier to get.

In most states it's especially difficult to get RealID for minors, because they just don't get much "official" mail. I used DD's passport, birth certificate, original SS card, and a copy of her school transcript (but for the transcript to be valid for this purpose it needed to have her street address on it, which it didn't because her school has digitized all communications. I had to petition the school's IT Dept. to populate the transcripts with home addresses, then wait while they made the software changes.)
So much easier to get a passport/card here.

As I recall, the state website for Real ID listed the various choices of documents you can use. You have a choice and don't need all of them. Check your state's DMV website since it sounds like each state may be slightly different. I believe the latest date is sometime in 2025 when you will need a Real ID to fly domestically, but that has already been pushed back a few times for various reasons.

Here is what is on the .gov site.

View attachment 852339
Yes! make sure you check what your state requirement is for the Real ID. And maybe bring a couple extra things from the list. Not too long ago I lost my license. When I went to get a replacement, since I didn't have mine with me, I had to provide all the things like I would if I never had one. In my state some of the things you can use are a paystub with your address and ssn, and that can be used to verify both residency and your ssn. You could use a car title, bank statement, bills etc. So I went in with my vehicle registration since it was within the time frame, and my paystub. They wouldn't accept it because since I work for the state, they considered both documents as originating from the same source. I was so irritated. Most of our bills for the house, like taxes, utilities etc, are in a trust name, and while I am on the trust, I'd have had to take the trust documentation along with me to use them, which would have been an even bigger hassle. So maybe take 3 or 4 things lol

Why does a child need a Real ID? TSA doesn’t require identification for those under 18 on domestic flights. Is it being used for another purpose?

Why does a child need a Real ID? TSA doesn’t require identification for those under 18 on domestic flights. Is it being used for another purpose?
Well if your kid gets a drivers license at 16 in some states, that might not expire until they are 21. So if that was the case, wouldn't it make more sense to just get the real id to begin with rather than paying for a license at 16, then paying again at 18 for a real id? I know some states have a graduated license system, so maybe this isn't applicable everywhere. But I'd rather just pay the fee once and be done with it.

Well if your kid gets a drivers license at 16 in some states, that might not expire until they are 21. So if that was the case, wouldn't it make more sense to just get the real id to begin with rather than paying for a license at 16, then paying again at 18 for a real id? I know some states have a graduated license system, so maybe this isn't applicable everywhere. But I'd rather just pay the fee once and be done with it.
Thanks, wasn’t thinking of it that way. Kids here don’t drive until 17, but like you say, it makes sense to get the first license as Real ID compliant.

If proof of address is needed, seems the most common would be some kind of school document, or perhaps a medical record (eg: a bill from doctor, or statement from insurance co. where the child is the patient), or a bank statement if you have an account in trust for your child. Funny how it’s sometimes a case of you need an ID to get an ID, but how to establish ID in the first place? :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter