Passports?

katmigordon

DIS Veteran
When we have traveled in the past we have done so with Drivers License (State Id in my case as I can't drive due to medical issues) and our birth certificates for a closed loop cruise, can we still do that?

Contact DCL to know the requirements for your specific cruise. It depends on ports visited, embarkation port and maybe other considerations.

When we have traveled in the past we have done so with Drivers License (State Id in my case as I can't drive due to medical issues) and our birth certificates for a closed loop cruise, can we still do that?
If you tell us which specific cruise you are doing we can give you a better answer.

If you tell us which specific cruise you are doing we can give you a better answer.
It looks like OP is on a 4 night Wonder cruise out of San Diego.

Currently, the minimum requirement for US citizens on a closed loop cruise (begins and end in the same US port) is a birth certificate plus, for those 16 and over, a government-issued photo ID.

My 2 cents... get a passport. They’re fairly inexpensive and if something unexpected happens it gives you options like the ability to fly to catch the cruise or fly home from a port
Agreed! You don't want to be stuck at some Consulate trying to get home in an emergency without a passport.

We were forced to get passports for our Alaska cruise on DCL a few years ago because the cruise was departing from Vancouver and we were flying in. We thought that it would be a good idea to have them anyway. Three of the seven of us needed them again but the other four never needed them again. It was an expensive insurance policy.

I understand passports are an expense but if you divide it out by how many years they are valid for they are not unreasonable. Having passports for our children when they were younger has allowed us to take last minute vacations to Europe when my DH had some time off that wasn't planned. Wouldn't have been an option if we didn't have passports for them.

A passport for someone age 16 and older is currently $145 and valid for 10 years. that is only $14.50 per year.
Passport for children is currently $115 and valid for 5 years, which is only $23 per year.

When kids were in school and played sports passports were also a good ID option as they were getting stricter, in our district, on ID's for kids.

Last edited:
When I fly anywhere (including inside the US) I pack my passport in my carryon bag. I was traveling for business once and lost my driver’s license. My DW has to overnight my passport so I could more easily get through security - TSA has a way to validate you if you do lose your identification but they warn you on their site that it takes a lot longer.

Contact DCL to know the requirements for your specific cruise. It depends on ports visited, embarkation port and maybe other considerations.

^ This. For something as important as what documentation you need in order to be allowed to board the ship, don’t rely on a message board. Even if we (collectively) are right, we are not authoritative.

I mean, if there are some unique facts or special circumstances to your particular cruise that we are not privy to, whereby you actually do need a passport, what are you going to tell DCL at the port - “But, people on the DIS Boards told me I didn’t need a passport.....”?

Or you could just get passports.

^ This. For something as important as what documentation you need in order to be allowed to board the ship, don’t rely on a message board. Even if we (collectively) are right, we are not authoritative.

I mean, if there are some unique facts or special circumstances to your particular cruise that we are not privy to, whereby you actually do need a passport, what are you going to tell DCL at the port - “But, people on the DIS Boards told me I didn’t need a passport.....”?

Or you could just get passports.

This!

Plus the requirements could change at any time. It would stink to be preparing for a cruise, have the government (not just the US - the government of any country DCL visits could decide to require passports) change the requirements (so very little wiggle room) and then you have to scramble to get a last-minute appointment.

Better to just make the investment and you have them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter