• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Past Disney Brides

Sherylmattwding

Earning My Ears
Did any of you have a hard time having to wait for the 16-12 month mark to get questions answered? I feel like I am having a hard time waiting that long, I did get the PassPorter's book which helped. But I still feel like I have questions.

We didn't even decide on a Disney wedding until about 13 months out, so I called then and they told me to call back in a month.
When we got married you could book Escape at a year out, so we did that.

Looking back I wish I had more time to plan. Not the wedding per se, but all the other little details I found in that year but didn't count on time wise or $ wise etc.
I was very happy with our wedding overall though and wouldn't change much that's for sure.

That makes sense and I could understand how you would want more time. Our wedding isn't until 2016, which is good and bad. Were paying for it all ourselves so it gives us time to plan and save. But I just have so many little questions to ask, that I will have to wait on.

Also did you have any issues booking for the venues and dates you wanted, I'm a bit afraid they book quickly.

While I'm a current bride and not a past one, I may be able to help with your latest question (though, this is based on if you are doing a Wishes or a S/D event, since booking is at 12 months).

For our Wishes event, we didn't have any problems getting the date we wanted, but we were during the week and even if others were interested in the date (no one was), we weren't interested in the Wedding Pavilion. If you're doing Wishes, just remember to get penciled prior to 12 months from your date (anytime between 16 and 12). If others want your date/time, you will be entered into a lottery. It is not first come, first serve with Disney - from what I was told, they put the names in a bowl and draw them, and then those drawn earlier are likely to get their preferences. However, it's a bit misleading because they seem to do this even if multiple couples want the same time/date, but have different ceremony/reception location choices. So, sometimes it's really not a bit deal, especially if you're mid-week and not one of their prime days (like a Saturday or Sunday...or possibly even Friday).

As for S/D (who I also contacted, though I'm sure someone else will give more feedback), they told me I wouldn't be able to book until 12 months out (guessing to the day). So, I wouldn't be surprised that as long as you call in early on the day that you can book, you wouldn't have a problem getting what you want.

For other venues, it depends on how far out they allow themselves to be booked. I know someone mentioned that they're having trouble getting the location they want at Buena Vista at just over a year out, but that may not be the norm - I just don't know enough with the other venues.

If you're looking at doing other events (DP, welcome event, etc), just make sure to mention it to your consultant/planner and I'm sure they can help you out. Some of the restaurants fill up fast, but your planner may be able to help you get a large reservation (or if you are told to call them directly, the manager of the establishment may be able to help). But some of that just depends on if you're trying to get a reservation at a really popular location.

It is very hard to not be able to ask questions about your wedding and have to wait until 12 months before your wedding. My husband and I got engaged in 2006 and married in 2008. So when I called immediately the next day they told me that I had to wait a year out. I was so sad. but I kept myself busy with looking for a wedding dress, what I wanted for the day, disboards kept me busy and gave me great ideas. so by the time it was a year out I knew what I wanted, colors, venue, etc

Good thing is there I Pinterest that can help you with ideas so you are prepared when you actually meet with your planner.

Good Luck!

Just a clarification. Disney weddings are first come first serve, but there's a time limit for when the clock starts ticking. For Escape weddings, it's eight months (although it might be nine now), while for Wishes weddings, it's twelve months. So for anyone wanting to schedule a Wishes wedding less than twelve months from now, it is first come first serve. Anyone wanting an Escape wedding less than eight months from now, it is first come first serve. That 8-12 month block between Escape and Wishes allows Wishes brides to book but not Escape brides, so there are more options available for Wishes brides. If an Escape bride books a wedding seven months out, and then a Wishes bride comes along afterwards and wants the same date and time and venue as the Escape bride, she cannot bump the Escape bride because it was first come first serve in that window.

Beyond twelve months, conventions have priority. We actually ran into this problem. When we went for our site visit at sixteen months, all of our venues were available. Before our twelve month date came up, however, a convention booked the entire Boardwalk for a week, affecting our reception venue. Had Disney allowed us to book at sixteen months, they would not have lost out on the business to the convention.

Once the twelve-month mark has passed, a convention that comes in afterwards cannot bump a wedding without compensation. If the convention really wants the entire Grand Floridian and a Wishes bride has already reserved it, the only way the convention can claim the venue is by compensating the couple. It means paying for the additional cost of the new venue plus transportation and whatever other inconvenience it causes.

The other reason that Disney won't allow first come first serve beyond twelve months is that it has to draw a line somewhere. We wouldn't want a couple to reserve a date four years in advance. It wouldn't be fair to other couples, particularly if it's one of those potentially popular dates like 11/12/13 or a Valentine's Day. The lottery for beyond twelve months, as much as we dislike it, is the fairest way. First come first serve within a year, but we're not allowed to line up beyond a year.

That being said, we used Carrie's book to come up with a budget and outline our day. The wait is not easy, and the thought of a lottery is anxiety inducing. The good part is that there are often multiple times for the same venue, and if you have some flexibility, there are lots of options available. Have a contingency plan. Because we're getting married on a not so popular day and during low season and not at the Wedding Pavilion, our consultant was fairly certain we would be able to schedule our date and venue. We were quite surprised when we couldn't get our venue and had to change dates. Our consultant did not ask for backup locations when she penciled us in, but because we didn't have a lock on the date and venue, my fiancée and I decided we had better have alternatives ready. In the end, I think we had three or four alternatives planned out. When our consultant called me to inform me about the convention, I was able to tell her what our second choice was without having to discuss things with my fiancée. I think had we not had our alternatives already lined up, we would have had far more disappointment and angst in making a decision. This way, we already knew what the plan was if our first option wasn't available, and the contingency automatically went into place.

Good luck, and hang in there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter