Pats - Giants game not on TV

Wow... The NFL sure does place a high value on their content, don't they?

I have to wonder how long Jerry Jones has been Chairman of the broadcasting committee? It's only been the in the last three or four years that the NFL has become this greedy. Before you could listen to the audio online for free. Then because the NFL went into negotiations with satellite radio that ended, then came the Sirius deal and the Field Pass deal. And then even with the Sunday Ticket, HD coverage was included until this season, now you pay extra for the Superfan package.

There's certainly got to be a reason why Wayne Huizenga bought the Miami Dolphins for approximately $140 million in '94 and is asking $1.2 billion for them now. Owning an NFL franchise is like owning a license to print money. It really is incredible!!

I have to wonder how long Jerry Jones has been Chairman of the broadcasting committee? It's only been the in the last three or four years that the NFL has become this greedy. Before you could listen to the audio online for free. Then because the NFL went into negotiations with satellite radio that ended, then came the Sirius deal and the Field Pass deal. And then even with the Sunday Ticket, HD coverage was included until this season, now you pay extra for the Superfan package.

I know the article mentions that Jones is the chairman, but I'm pretty sure it's a mistake and Bob Kraft is the chairman.

I know the article mentions that Jones is the chairman, but I'm pretty sure it's a mistake and Bob Kraft is the chairman.
OKay it's all very confusing...
Jerry Jones replaced Kraft as Chairperson of the NFL Network Committee. Kraft remains chairperson of the broadcast committee and is a member of the NFL Network Committee (Jones is also a member of the broadcast committee). It's a wonder Kraft has time for this with his new fifedom to watch over (Patriot Place ;) )

Cooler heads have prevailed!!

The game will be simulcast on CBS and NBC.

the league announced Wednesday that the NFL Network feed will be simulcast on NBC and CBS. It's a major concession by league officials, who repeatedly said they would not show the game anywhere but the NFL Network. The NFL had faced mounting pressure from politicians in recent weeks to make the game available to more viewers.

This will be the first three-network simulcast in NFL history and the first simulcast of any kind of an NFL game since the first Super Bowl in 1967, when CBS and NBC both televised the first meeting of the champions of the newly merged National Football League and American Football League.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3169075

Just saw that too...but honestly what makes me mad is the cable companies are to blam not the NFL! I have direct tv...both Direct tv and Dish offer the NFL network to it's customers free of charge!!!!!

Why Time Warner feels it should charge me for the channel is exactly the reason I'll NEVER go back to cable.

If you want to be mad and blae someone blame the cable companies the NFL won't let them have the channel because they want to charge the consumer..If you ask me I applaud the NFL for telling the cable companies to stick it...if your mad make the switch to dish.

I think that now that they're showing it on all channels that it'll bee a boon for the NFL Network. Once the viewers see the quality of the product that NFL Network is putting out, there will definitely be more demand for it.

Our local ABC stations have the rights too so now here it'll be on ABC, CBS and NBC. I wonder if anything like that has happened before (beside a presidential speech).

Rather, I suspect that cooler cash has prevailed.

ABC in Boston. It isn't completely clear whether it will be simulcast on multiple networks within the same DMA, or rather just broadcast on one of the two (three) networks in each DMA.

Actually in Boston, Manchester, NH and New York it will be on ABC, NBC, CBS and the NFL Network, the rest of the country will "only" see it on the the last three channels.

I think that congress threatening to look at the NFL's antitrust exemption may have played a role in putting the game on free TV too.

Separately, two U.S. senators, Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) and Arlen Specter (R-Pa.), have written a letter to Goodell with the threat that if the NFL doesn't broaden the reach of the game beyond the NFL Network, which gets into only 42.9 million cable and satellite homes, the Senate judiciary committee may hold hearings on whether the NFL's antitrust exemption should be repealed.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117978067.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

I don't think it had anything to do with cooler heads. I think it had everything to do with a couple of senators threatening to 'revisit' the NFLs anti-trust legislation......

Hmmmm, now, what channel to watch on Saturday?

I don't have a problem with the NFL network. In fact I love it, its great. I have direct tv which is far superior in prce and service to cable. I think if you are a football fan its the only way to go. You can do the NFL sunday ticket and see all the games if you want. I don't have a problem paying for something I really like.

I agree! I have NFL Network and love it! We also have NFL Sunday Ticket (which thankfully I do or else I would be subjected to the Panthers and Falcons every Sunday!) and honestly, it is the only way I would go every year!

The only thing is that I wish I could pay for NESN! I would gladly pay a premium if just for that channel alone! I really miss NESN!

***** the politics of all this. I'm thrilled we'll be able to see it down here!!

:banana: :yay: :dance3: :dance3: :cheer2: :banana: :yay: :cool1:

Broadcast of the game by CBS and NBC in either Boston or New York will be a breach of contract. While the issue is still up in the air, folks in Boston should be prepared to tune into Channel 5 and folks in New York should be prepared to tune into Channel 9, in case justice does prevail, and the game is blacked out on the CBS and NBC stations in those two cities.

Broadcast of the game by CBS and NBC in either Boston or New York will be a breach of contract. While the issue is still up in the air, folks in Boston should be prepared to tune into Channel 5 and folks in New York should be prepared to tune into Channel 9, in case justice does prevail, and the game is blacked out on the CBS and NBC stations in those two cities.

Interesting...because our local NBC affiliate (Boston - WHDH - Channel 7) was announcing during their newcast this morning that we'd be able to watch the game "right here on Channel 7". I would think that if it wasn't a "done deal" in the Boston market, they wouldn't be able to make that announcement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter