Paula Deen racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technically, that hasn't happened to anyone's daddy, unless they are a hundred and fifty years old.

Obviously you did not grow up in the Deep South. :( A young black man was lynched, hanged from a 200 yr old water oak in Mobile, AL, in the late 70s about 2 miles from my house. And Jim Crow laws were enforced in most southern states through the 50s & 60s. In my county the KKK routinely terrorized black families by burning crosses in their front yard. In my HS white kids used to regularly beat the crap out of black boys because they were suspected of looking at or asking out white girls.

And the problem with SOTS is that it is NOT "how it was".

Um, it's a Disney movie that includes animated talking animals. I wouldn't consider historical accuracy to be awfully high on the list. That said, the story while unlikely, is not totally inconceivable. :)

As for wishing to have "pretend slaves" serve a catered affair, that would be at best a very poorly thought out idea.

Anyone who thinks racism is a thing of the past, needs to watch this. It is an ABC "What Would You Do" episode from a couple of years ago. It is absolutely shocking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S0kV_b3IK9M#at=11

For those who don't care to watch, basically, the white kid was allowed to saw away at a bike lock and NO ONE reported him or confronted him. A black kid, dressed identically by the way, was stopped in a matter of seconds. Why is that do you suppose?

I cannot imagine growing up in a black man's skin...to have people completely unwilling to give you the benefit of the doubt and constantly suspicious. What would that feel like?

If she only did this in the 80's and says that it's wrong now, I can't hate on her. I might have scanned the article too quickly but if that's what this is about, I'm willing to let it go.

I agree that racism is sadly not a thing of the past. I don't understand that at all.

It is very sad, but racism is still very much alive in 2013. Growing up in California I never really expreienced it, but when I moved to Louisiana I got a great big ol dose of it. That N word though...I have not now nor I have I ever been one of those and I don't want anyone of any race to refer to me as such. A racial slur is disrespectful no matter if it is about blacks, whites, hispanics, or any other race.
Now about these folks she wants dressed up like they are about to shuck and jive...no ma'am. They can keep that right in those old movies.

I'm guessing you're one of those people who also asks "Why isn't there a WHITE history month?"

I wanted to comment on this. I don't believe their should be any specific nationality month, we should simply study/celebrate accomplishments of people without regard to race. As long as nationality specific groups and months exist, so will divisiveness, in all nationalities. So the question isn't "Why isn't there a WHITE history month?" But why is there a black, hispanic, etc history month?

To the PD statements/issue I believe it was more ignorant than racist.

I wanted to comment on this. I don't believe their should be any specific nationality month, we should simply study/celebrate accomplishments of people without regard to race. As long as nationality specific groups and months exist, so will divisiveness, in all nationalities. So the question isn't "Why isn't there a WHITE history month?" But why is there a black, hispanic, etc history month?

No the question should be "Why don't we study/celebrate accomplishments of people without regard to race?" or "Why, instead, do we constantly over focus on white men?"

Black History Month and other months didn't cause the problem they're designed to solve. They're an imperfect solution, I'll completely agree, a stop gap while we solve the real problem which is the racism that is still very pervasive in American history curricula. Once that problem is solved then you're right, there will be no need for separate months, but right now we're not in a place to take that backwards step.

No the question should be "Why don't we study/celebrate accomplishments of people without regard to race?" or "Why, instead, do we constantly over focus on white men?"

Black History Month and other months didn't cause the problem they're designed to solve. They're an imperfect solution, I'll completely agree, a stop gap while we solve the real problem which is the racism that is still very pervasive in American history curricula. Once that problem is solved then you're right, there will be no need for separate months, but right now we're not in a place to take that backwards step.

We should celebrate without regard to race.

Black history month and other months are more than imperfect solutions, I believe they keep racism alive. I don't think a persons race should even be mentioned unless its somehow pertinent to the lesson being taught, this is the same as hyphenated Americans, your american or your not. The sooner people stop recognizing separated months and groups the sooner it'll be a lesson in history.

As to the first part, when I was a kid, there was no "black history month", but we certainly studied many Black Americans as part of AMERICAN History - this despite the fact I had not a single black kid in any of my classes prior to 7th grade. In other words, I grew up in "pasty white land". But, history is history and there were many men (and women) who were important to American history who were not white; many who were not black either obviously.

As for the over focus on white men, that's really a bit silly. To the victor go the spoils as they say. Most of post Columbus American history was in fact dominated by white men. More than half our country TODAY is Caucasian. Some day, it won't be. And eventually there will be more & more men of color (and women of all colors) in our history books. Blacks represent 14% of our population and up until fairly recently, they were somewhat relegated to insignificant status within this country through our laws and societal pressures. There simply aren't as many stories to tell in terms of how they shaped this country, so it's only natural they would be featured less prominently. It's not a conspiracy, it's just a matter of volume of history, who shaped it, and who wrote it.

For your information to all black people it is not FINE. It is used, I'm told, in the hip hop world like the negative word for a female is because, guess what, it's for SHOCK. And that word is NOT acceptable, either, by decent people. Just because "hip hop" crossed over with it and made ignoramuses millionaires does not make it acceptable behavior.

I'm sure no one dragged your daddy out of bed and called him a honky or a redneck and made laws to make him part of a person. I'm sure that never happened to your daddy. But hey, it's just a WORD.

Just chiming in....The n word is not only used in the hip hop world, it is used every single day by black youths in conversation with each other. It is okay for black youths to call whites numerous names & each other the n word. I hear it every single day in the public school setting.

We will never fix the racial divide in this country if people don't stop throwing the past into the faces of others that had NOTHING to do with it. It will forever remain the same.

Just chiming in....The n word is not only used in the hip hop world, it is used every single day by black youths in conversation with each other. It is okay for black youths to call whites numerous names & each other the n word. I hear it every single day in the public school setting.

We will never fix the racial divide in this country if people don't stop throwing the past into the faces of others that had NOTHING to do with it. It will forever remain the same.

I see your point as well, but I don't believe Robinrs was suggesting these were the only black people who use the word, just that they are the ones who most frequently do so. And as a result, kids who listen to that music and follow that culture do the same.

I do find it true however that it seems more "acceptable" for people of color (not just blacks) to make racial slurs against other races, particularly against whites while obviously it's not "acceptable" the other way around. It's a definite double standard. And allowing that will only continue to encourage the divide.

:thumbsup2

We should celebrate without regard to race.

Black history month and other months are more than imperfect solutions, I believe they keep racism alive. I don't think a persons race should even be mentioned unless its somehow pertinent to the lesson being taught, this is the same as hyphenated Americans, your american or your not. The sooner people stop recognizing separated months and groups the sooner it'll be a lesson in history.

As to the first part, when I was a kid, there was no "black history month", but we certainly studied many Black Americans as part of AMERICAN History - this despite the fact I had not a single black kid in any of my classes prior to 7th grade. In other words, I grew up in "pasty white land". But, history is history and there were many men (and women) who were important to American history who were not white; many who were not black either obviously.

As for the over focus on white men, that's really a bit silly. To the victor go the spoils as they say. Most of post Columbus American history was in fact dominated by white men. More than half our country TODAY is Caucasian. Some day, it won't be. And eventually there will be more & more men of color (and women of all colors) in our history books. Blacks represent 14% of our population and up until fairly recently, they were somewhat relegated to insignificant status within this country through our laws and societal pressures. There simply aren't as many stories to tell in terms of how they shaped this country, so it's only natural they would be featured less prominently. It's not a conspiracy, it's just a matter of volume of history, who shaped it, and who wrote it.
:thumbsup2 Well said

Thank you, that was my point. I did not articulate it as well as you have here :thumbsup2

I see your point as well, but I don't believe Robinrs was suggesting these were the only black people who use the word, just that they are the ones who most frequently do so. And as a result, kids who listen to that music and follow that culture do the same.

I do find it true however that it seems more "acceptable" for people of color (not just blacks) to make racial slurs against other races, particularly against whites while obviously it's not "acceptable" the other way around. It's a definite double standard. And allowing that will only continue to encourage the divide.

I think we're missing some context here. Here's the full quote from the deposition. I'm not posting the link to Salon in case some content is not DIS-friendly.

She wanted to hire people to pose as slaves, for her (white) family's amusement.

It's not about hiring only black people to serve food at an event. Of course that's not racist, and no one would claim it to be.

Hiring black people to pose as slaves for your entertainment? Yeah, I would say that's arguably racist.

How is this something that's appropriate festive entertainment at a wedding? These people were prisoners. They were waiting on the white folks at the plantation because they were ordered to do so by their captors, and they would be whipped, beaten or worse if they didn't obey? They were branded, for the love of pete. Their children were sold. It was a horror, a blight on our history, a shame our country will forever live with. Not wedding entertainment material.

Would she think it would be equally festive to have a concentration camp-themed wedding? With skinny Jewish people dressed up in prisoner's rags? Cause they used to have to dress up nice and wait on the Nazi officers at the camps, too, ya know.

Not much difference between slaves and concentration camp victims, I think. Both prisoners, both used and brutalized, because of their race.

Look, racism isn't just about the use of a word. It's an attitude. It's a belief that members of another race are inferior, simply because they *are* members of that race.

I can't say whether Paula Deen is a racist, I don't know what her private thoughts are about black people. But based on this, I can say she's ignorant, oblivious, and dumb as a bag of hair.

Yes!!!!

For your information to all black people it is not FINE.

Years ago I worked with 2 black nurses (I happen to be white) that were beautiful and I was wild about them. I thought they were as beautiful inside as out. One evening we were getting on the elevator to go to dinner and another black nurse hollered out for us to hold the door for her. The 2 black nurses pretended to not hear her and one actually knocked my hand away as I tried to hold the door open. Before I could say anything, one of them said to me, "We don't want her going with us. She's a N"!!!!! :faint: I still don't know what to say, even after all these years.

minkydog said:
Obviously you did not grow up in the Deep South. :( A young black man was lynched, hanged from a 200 yr old water oak in Mobile, AL, in the late 70s about 2 miles from my house. And Jim Crow laws were enforced in most southern states through the 50s & 60s. In my county the KKK routinely terrorized black families by burning crosses in their front yard. In my HS white kids used to regularly beat the crap out of black boys because they were suspected of looking at or asking out white girls.

I also wasn't born until the late 70's, sorry. I wasn't referencing Jim Crowe laws, I thought this thread, and the comment I quoted were referencing slavery- which has been illegal for about 150 years. :)
If that is not the law she meant, I'm sorry, but it was hard to understand what law she was talking about, I thought maybe she left a word or two out of the sentence.

Paula Deen was supposed to be on the Today Show live this morning but has declined. :( They are hoping she will change her mind but I'm betting her management had something to do with that decision.

Paula Deen was supposed to be on the Today Show live this morning but has declined. :( They are hoping she will change her mind but I'm betting her management had something to do with that decision.

I'm disappointed I wanted her to come and tell her side of things.

They're probably going to let the story die down for a couple weeks before she tells "her side".

In her defense, I will say this: having watched her show, it's fairly clear she is not altogether right in the head :rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter