• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pay for WDW Restaurant meals with Disney GC?

suzimar57

Miss my Happy Place.
Have several Disney GC with various amounts - will WDW park restaurants accept them for payment of meals?

Yes. We always buy Disney gift cards to pay for our TS meals at the parks and resorts. Some Disney Springs restaurants take it as well.

Yes. We buy GC all year long, and then all our expenses are covered even before we get there

I have not been to many Disney Springs restaurants to know if they all accept them or if ones owned by certain restaurant groups do not. We were fine at The Boathouse this past trip and I think a few years ago The Edison.

I had absolutely No Idea I could combine all cards onto one ( up to maximum of 1000), nor that there was a website to refer too.
THANKS for posting this info, great Updated info on the site. Learn something new Everyday here 😊

Reactions: GAN
Thanks - wasn't aware there was an option to combine all GC onto one - will do this later!
I had absolutely No Idea I could combine all cards onto one ( up to maximum of 1000), nor that there was a website to refer too.
THANKS for posting this info, great Updated info on the site. Learn something new Everyday here 😊

One important thing to remember -if you use the card(s) to make a purchase, be sure to keep it ..otherwise there will be no way to refund something down the road. I usually use the card for things that aren't returnable -like food/beverage so there's no worry. But others have run into issues with things like paying for a trip with gift cards. I'm not sure how that would work if you have them on disneygiftcard ..I would think they could be simply identified on there but maybe someone else has more knowledge on that. Happy Travels....

A related question - is there any benefit of charging to the room and paying it off with the gift cards, rather than carrying around the cards and using them to pay? Or vice versa?

I'm nervous to carry around a $1,000 gift card, but also worried about all of the credit card holds when charging to the room.

A related question - is there any benefit of charging to the room and paying it off with the gift cards, rather than carrying around the cards and using them to pay? Or vice versa?

I'm nervous to carry around a $1,000 gift card, but also worried about all of the credit card holds when charging to the room.
I never charge to the room. That's the main reason we use gift cards (or cash). We've bought $1000 plus in gift cards to the parks and restaurants. I never have more than $100 on one card and I keep them separately. I can see if you have the Disney Visa that is the card on hold for your room and accumulating points as you go and paying off before you left. But point wise, it's probably not a significant amount (but everything helps).

I think there are also often opportunities to get gift cards at a discount in the 5-10% ballpark?

In the past we always charged everything to the room and then paid with giftcards. During our trip in November, we found out that many of the restaurants don't have the little handheld Magic Band Scanners anymore, so they had to physically take your magic band to the computer to do do a room charge. After the first meal, I just started paying with the gift card at the restaurant to save a little hassle on the servers.

In the past we always charged everything to the room and then paid with giftcards. During our trip in November, we found out that many of the restaurants don't have the little handheld Magic Band Scanners anymore, so they had to physically take your magic band to the computer to do do a room charge. After the first meal, I just started paying with the gift card at the restaurant to save a little hassle on the servers.
That's really helpful to know, thank you!

Can you use a gc to pay for character meal at chef Mickey? How about T Rex in DisneySprings?

One important thing to remember -if you use the card(s) to make a purchase, be sure to keep it ..otherwise there will be no way to refund something down the road.
Wouldn't they just put the refund on a new gift card like any other business?
Can you use a gc to pay for character meal at chef Mickey? How about T Rex in DisneySprings?
All Disney owned restaurants will accept the GC. As far as Disney Springs restaurants (most of which are independently owned), that is up to each individual restaurant so hopefully someone can chime in here specifically for T Rex.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter