Paying for travel through travel agent?

JustAmom1990

Earning My Ears
Hello! I’m booking a resort package in December 2024 and I am using a travel agent through A pair of ears. Is it normal to pay the travel agent and not pay through the my Disney experience app? I’m nervous about this because I don’t want it to be a scam I guess?

She also said any payments I make will be through her and not the app. Just making sure this is normal.

I am not familiar with that travel agency, but, yes, it is normal for the TA to take your payment info to book your reservation. Most agencies take the client payment info and either call WDTC to make the payment or make the payment directly on the Disney Travel Agent website. They should then e-mail you confirmations so you can see your confirmation number (which you can link to your MDE account), package components (or room only reservation) and also track your payment history.

I am not familiar with that travel agency, but, yes, it is normal for the TA to take your payment info to book your reservation. Most agencies take the client payment info and either call WDTC to make the payment or make the payment directly on the Disney Travel Agent website. They should then e-mail you confirmations so you can see your confirmation number (which you can link to your MDE account), package components (or room only reservation) and also track your payment history.
Okay just to be clear she also said any payments I make on the trip after the deposit will also go through her. This is also the norm as well?

Yea this is completely normal.

When you book with the TA they “own” your reservation. Payments and any changes have to made through them. You can’t call Disney and discuss your reservation as it isn’t your reservation. It is the TAs reservation.

Personally. if leery of scams and payments, I would maybe question why you'd need a TA at all. It sounds like you are comfortable with MDE so unless you just really want or need a middle man, I would keep control.

But for your question itself (sorry for giving unsolicited advice!), yes it is ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea this is completely normal.

When you book with the TA they “own” your reservation. Payments and any changes have to made through them. You can’t call Disney and discuss your reservation as it isn’t your reservation. It is the TAs reservation.
Thank you!! I just wanted to be extra sure as this is our first family trip and I’m 32 and haven’t been since I was a kid. I wanted to go with a travel agent since I really have no idea how anything works and the extra set of eyes sounds lovely

You might want to search around on this board to see what TAs people are using and recommending.

But . . . it's actually very easy to figure out how to do this yourself, especially with all the resources right here on the DISboard.

As mentioned by others, most TA's have the payment go "through" them but the payment is actually made directly to the vendor (WDW in this case). Your charge should reflect that.

The time to be leery is when a TA requires that payment be made to their agency account. Not that there may not be some legit agencies doing it this way, but that is one thing of caution.

In addition to the good info @janejudy posted above I'd just like to observe that Dreams Unlimited Travel, the sponsor of these boards, functions exactly in this way. When payment is due you provide them your CC info using a secure web page and they use that to make the payment to Disney. If you are using a Disney CC you get credit for the transaction and resulting benefits.

In addition to the good info @janejudy posted above I'd just like to observe that Dreams Unlimited Travel, the sponsor of these boards, functions exactly in this way. When payment is due you provide them your CC info using a secure web page and they use that to make the payment to Disney. If you are using a Disney CC you get credit for the transaction and resulting benefits.

IMO, this is the safest and best way to handle the payments. When a TA is only passing your payment information directly to Disney, and on your credit card statement you see that Disney processed your deposit, that is protection that you know Disney actually received the funds.

Some TA's will take your funds/credit card payment and deposit the funds into their account, then make the payment to Disney. In that case, you have to trust that the TA has actually made that payment. It may not pose a problem at deposit time, but at final payment...you really want to know those funds got delivered to Disney on time.

I have read some horror stories on Cruise Critic of folks who made payment to their TA, and then the TA never transferred those funds to the providers...then went out of business. This can be a nightmare to resolve.

I'm working with DU right now on a big family trip and the agent I'm connected to made it very clear that their portal and processing ensures that payment goes to Disney direct, and in fact that is exactly what my credit card statement shows...payment to Disney and payment to Universal for our deposits.

If I have anyone question the process, I give them references from previous clients. All payments that I make go straight to Disney and the email confirmation is sent directly to clients.

Yes this is 100% normal and really the only way that it works. If you use a TA, you go through them for all payments. And no matter how easy some say it may be to figure out, if you are new to Disney or haven't been in a long time, a TA is really valuable. It's one of the few vacations that still having a TA for is very helpful.

I also don't agree with recommending other agencies as above, even the one who sponsors these boards. You obviously are already working with someone and that person has put in the time to provide you a quote so stick with them.

As others have pointed out this is normal,
However, it appears you are not comfortable with the travel agent process.

Is there a reason you choose to book with a travel agent rather than booking direct with Disney?

If you're using a trusted platform like "A pair of ears," it should be a legitimate arrangement. Just make sure you've done some background checks on the travel agent and the platform to ensure their credibility.

Thank you!! I just wanted to be extra sure as this is our first family trip and I’m 32 and haven’t been since I was a kid. I wanted to go with a travel agent since I really have no idea how anything works and the extra set of eyes sounds lovely
Lots of eyes and experience right here as well as you traverse the process, Never hesitate to ask questions! Been going to WDW for 30 years and still learning.

If you are leary of giving your CC info - you can always use a Disney Gift Card to make payments. You can purchase GCs and give those numbers to the TA. Just be sure to keep the gift card in case you have to cancel the payments will go back to the original form of payment (GC)

If you are leary of giving your CC info - you can always use a Disney Gift Card to make payments. You can purchase GCs and give those numbers to the TA. Just be sure to keep the gift card in case you have to cancel the payments will go back to the original form of payment (GC)
But don’t forget to mention the downside- the money is committed to Disney purchases only. So if something goes wrong you can never get a cash refund.

But don’t forget to mention the downside- the money is committed to Disney purchases only. So if something goes wrong you can never get a cash refund.
I just want to add that as gottalovepluto mentioned you can still use the GCs at Disney stores and Disney online store. Plus there is no expire date on the GC's. I have been using them for over 20 years now and really love that you can combine GCs on the Disneygiftcard site. We have saved a bunch of $$ by buying discounted Disney GC's and using them to pay for our trips8-)

OP, we have used TA's off and on for 15+ years and enjoy that they do all the searching for deals when I do not feel like it. LOL

OP, we have used TA's off and on for 15+ years and enjoy that they do all the searching for deals when I do not feel like it. LOL

THIS! Yes, I'm perfectly capable of booking my own reservations, but I have a great relationship with my TA and I like that I'm supporting a small business. My TA is amazing at checking for deals and often even before I know a new one is out, she's emailed me letting me know that she changed me to the new deal, I already have a better deal, or I could change to a different resort or room type for less (or in a case where she knew I'd been considering a Deluxe that the one I was considering was not that much more with a new deal). She's awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter