• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Peachtree Road Race

Sonyamalexander

Disney Dreamin'
alright, who else will be spending their July 4th holiday in the sweltering Atlanta Summer heat running/walking 6.2 miles?

Anyone has any tips for a 1st timer?

Transportation:: not sure where you're coming from, but if its north, park at Lindbergh and ride MARTA . This does 2 things: puts you against the flow before the race (you're headed north, everyone else is headed south) and after the race you can take either northbound train. Remember your Breeze card or fare.

Before the race: get there early and enjoy the crowd. They have lots of corrals, so if you're in corral ZZZZZ, 'early' is relative. It's different than a Disney Race, but its got its own type of energy. Lenox Square is ground zero. Sometimes they seem to restrict access to Lenox based on corral assignment, other times not. (If you are in a later corral, and do get access to Lenox, you can just camp out at Lenox and hop in your corral as it moves to the starting line, rather than hike to the back.)

For the race itself: it is HOT and HILLY, so pace yourself. It is easy to go out too fast on the downhill start and not have enough gas for Cardiac Hill. Enjoy the crowds. PRR has lots of spectators, with lots of energy!

After the race: if you're meeting someone, plan on which letter sign/balloon you're meeting at. Grab some of the Delta iced towels! Be prepared for a long walk back to MARTA. Wear that Peachtree shirt proudly! Make sure someone is assigned the task of firing up the grill for burgers/dogs/chicken/ribs/steak!

Transportation:: not sure where you're coming from, but if its north, park at Lindbergh and ride MARTA . This does 2 things: puts you against the flow before the race (you're headed north, everyone else is headed south) and after the race you can take either northbound train. Remember your Breeze card or fare.

Before the race: get there early and enjoy the crowd. They have lots of corrals, so if you're in corral ZZZZZ, 'early' is relative. It's different than a Disney Race, but its got its own type of energy. Lenox Square is ground zero. Sometimes they seem to restrict access to Lenox based on corral assignment, other times not. (If you are in a later corral, and do get access to Lenox, you can just camp out at Lenox and hop in your corral as it moves to the starting line, rather than hike to the back.)

For the race itself: it is HOT and HILLY, so pace yourself. It is easy to go out too fast on the downhill start and not have enough gas for Cardiac Hill. Enjoy the crowds. PRR has lots of spectators, with lots of energy!

After the race: if you're meeting someone, plan on which letter sign/balloon you're meeting at. Grab some of the Delta iced towels! Be prepared for a long walk back to MARTA. Wear that Peachtree shirt proudly! Make sure someone is assigned the task of firing up the grill for burgers/dogs/chicken/ribs/steak!
This is great!! Thank you. I'm not from Georgia but my parents are from Johns Creek so I'm gonna beg them to drop me off. I've been doing hill work I hopes of preparing for the hills. I'm super excited for this race!

Thought I would bump this up. Ran through the park this morning. They are getting all the tents up. Might get lucky and have cloud cover for the race. No break on the heat but I will take cloud cover.

Thought I would bump this up. Ran through the park this morning. They are getting all the tents up. Might get lucky and have cloud cover for the race. No break on the heat but I will take cloud cover.

Look to be pretty bad: 73 degrees, 94% percent humidity, for a dew-point of 71 at the start. I'm not seeing the clouds on weather underground.

Like the t-shirt says: 'Heat, Hills, and Humidity. Welcome to Atlanta!'

Everyone have a good race!

Corrals? Anyone else in F? I've been running in FL in June, so I hope I am ready. DH has been working on speed. I just run based on how I feel, and if it's hot, humid, and sunny, I'll feel really slow!

It was sunny, hot, and humid for my long run this morning. Perfect test for Tuesday. Not looking forward to the sloppy mess the meadow will be. Wearing my old shoes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter