• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

peanut allegery exp. at WDW

KYmommy

Mouseketeer
I just wanted to write and let everyone know about the restaurants that our family ate at while visiting WDW. DS has a severe peanut/treenut allergy. Before our trip we called and made PS's, then called 7 days prior to eating at each restaurant and then spoke to each chef when we got to the restaurant.
Everyone was wonderful and I wanted to give them a positive note out there to you guys. Please, please, if you (or your loved one) suffers from these allergies do your own homework. Please do not only take my word for it. Also, take your own precautions. But, we were very pleased.

Chef Mickey's- loved the chef (very, very nice and helpful and cooked fresh food in the back)
LeCellier- made corn on the cob just for DS
Sci-Fi- DS was able to have a milkshake
CRT
Rainforest-AK
Crystal Palace
Libertry Tree
McDonald's in Downtown Disney- I had 3 people call me from the reginal office in Tampa on a Friday night to speak to me about DS before our trip that weekend.

I hope this helps some of you. One thing we did notice ( but not a surprise to us, DS was not able to have bread at most places. He was able to have one or two types for breakfast at CRT.)

Kris
:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding food allergies. My husband is allergic to shrimp. We found Legal Seafoods & the sit down seafood restaurant at Sea World Orlando to be extrememly careful & helpful after we told them. Staff at both restaurants could not have been better.

Legal is great with allergies! If anything a little over cautious--I've stopped telling them because they freak out. We eat there about once a month and I know what is and isn't safe at this point.

Anne

KYM: - so glad you had a great trip! I remember your posts from the Spring when I was planning my May trip. We ate at some of the same spots and felt too that we had good service from all - no major problems.

I was least pleased with Chef Mickeys though - we just had a hard time with desserts and ended up eating desserts while walking around in the restaurant (my 7 yr old and I did this) and DH took some cookies and wrapped them up in a napkin for later. The only thing safe for him to eat was plain ice cream - and he was very upset not to be able to have some sprinkles. The chef swore up and down they were unsafe (even he he got them out of a new container in the back) but we were served identical sprinkles at CP and the chef there said they were fine. :confused3 Anyway I won't go out of my way to return to Chef Mickey's again. I would have paid about $50 for a container of safe sprinkles that night - d'oh!

Le Cellier is just wonderful and will go out of their way to make what you want. They are true chefs there - I felt like I was dining at the chefs table at V&A :love:

I posted a dining report here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=818591&highlight=peanut+allergy+diabetic if you want to check it out.

Anyone have experience dining at House of Blues in DTD with allergies? We are going back to WDW next week for the Children With Diabetes conference and thinking about eating there for lunch.

Glad you had a great trip!

Thanks Carol. We had a wonderful time (ready to go back :rotfl: ).
Sorry, your experience at Chef Mickey's wasnt as good. Maybe we had a different chef. We were told no to desserts at CM and CP. Funny.
We are pretty used to not getting desserts and just had our own yummy Oreos in our room. :rotfl2: We were excited that we were able to have deserts at LTT and Sci Fi, though. DS came home and told the whole family!!
Have fun next week.

Kris

Kris - I bet you are right about the chefs - I think the service you get depends a lot on the chef! We had the most desserts of any restaurant at CP. Desserts are more of a problem at buffets since they're included and I guess we would prefer to have some of them - they always look so good. Usually at the sit-down places we skipped ordering dessert and picked up an Itskadoozie from a cart for William. He liked that as well as anything.

We have reservations at the Garden Grill for next weekend and we were told they would prepare a sugar-free fondue (William is also diabetic) for the whole table along with fresh fruit and sugar-free brownies to dip. Like you said it DOES pay to ask in advance if they can accomodate requests (like a safe dessert!). :goodvibes

also have a nut/tree nut allergic child...we'll be on the disneycruise for 3 days, then wdw'ing it for 4 afterwards...thanks for the heads up.

poor thing usually just looks sad when others are eating bday cake,etc...
we usually bring a special treat along to ease her pain :)

KimzKidsz,
Doesnt it just break your heart, to see your kid not get what everyone else is getting?

Please let me know about your experience on the WDW cruise and peanut/treenut allergies? I am interested in how well they handle it? Does your DD carry an epipen?

Have a great trip.
Thanks,
Kris

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter