• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pearl Guests Check Your PAT/BG!!!

CamColt

I'm on the 8/19 Fantasy, our first Pearl Cruise. When we checked in last week, we got PAT 11:30, BG 6. Another Pearl guest on our cruise mentioned today their PAT and BG had gotten changed from the original check in. I didn't have much hope but went to double check mine and there it was...PAT 11:00, BG 2! :Pinkbounc Needless to say I'm thrilled over this. Anyone who has read my posts the past few years knows I've been very bitter about losing the automatic BG 1. ;) Kudos to DCL!!! :thumbsup2

I'm on the 8/19 Fantasy, our first Pearl Cruise. When we checked in last week, we got PAT 11:30, BG 6. Another Pearl guest on our cruise mentioned today their PAT and BG had gotten changed from the original check in. I didn't have much hope but went to double check mine and there it was...PAT 11:00, BG 2! :Pinkbounc Needless to say I'm thrilled over this. Anyone who has read my posts the past few years knows I've been very bitter about losing the automatic BG 1. ;) Kudos to DCL!!! :thumbsup2
Does Platinum get any perks for boarding?

Pearl is more than 20 or 25 cruises?

Platinum is 10 correct?

About to take my 9th this fall.

I don’t know if I will ever hit 20 but it would be fun to do it!

Here’s to DCL! 🚢🚢🚢🚢

Does Platinum get any perks for boarding?

Pre Covid we didn't have to choose a PAT and got automatic BG 1, (with concierge). That went away with Covid. At this point I don't know what the official policy is, maybe they are trying to figure it out, but I can confirm some Pearl cruisers got bumped up from 6 (or 7) to 2. Stay tuned! :)
Pearl is more than 20 or 25 cruises?

Platinum is 10 correct?

About to take my 9th this fall.

I don’t know if I will ever hit 20 but it would be fun to do it!

Here’s to DCL! 🚢🚢🚢🚢
Platinum is after 10 and Pearl is after 25. Happy Sailing!

Have a chocolate martini to celebrate!
Creme Brulee martini! :love:

I, too, am very annoyed at losing our auto-BG1. I don't want to re-re-re-restart the debate on how the loyalty program should/is/could be/might be/really oughta be computed, but it's kinda a jerk move to take away one of the little bennies we had as Platinum. 2 more & we're Pearl, but still...

Hang in there, you are close. I agree, it does hurt to lose something they had given, especially when we took full advantage of it and really enjoyed it. I get there are a lot of Platinums now, so maybe something needed to be done. I liked the staggered check in, I thought that was going to be fair, until the earliest we could get as Pearl (finished at 12:07 am) was BG 6....worse than we got on our last cruise as Platinum (and all the cruises before that). Hopefully DCL will give an official word, with an explanation of what exactly they are doing/planning to do, but at this point I will confess I am very happy with 2. ;)

Ditto for our August Magic cruise!

Wow - that's great news! Our first Pearl sailing will be in August, but we are also concierge for that one. In December we sail non-concierge, so the early PAT will be excellent!

So could this be as simple as this... Currently, DCL assigns BG groups 2,3 (and sometimes 4 and 5 for the Dream/Triton class ships) to passengers using DCL transporation... This them bumps Pearls and Platinums at check-in to a boarding group no lower than 4 for the Classic Ships and no lower than 6 for the Dream/Triton class ships. DCL might either be currently reviewing this practice and/or adjusting boarding groups based on how many guests are using DCL transport?

So could this be as simple as this... Currently, DCL assigns BG groups 2,3 (and sometimes 4 and 5 for the Dream/Triton class ships) to passengers using DCL transporation... This them bumps Pearls and Platinums at check-in to a boarding group no lower than 4 for the Classic Ships and no lower than 6 for the Dream/Triton class ships. DCL might either be currently reviewing this practice and/or adjusting boarding groups based on how many guests are using DCL transport?

That's what I'm hoping this mean...they got enough complaints and realized a silly little perk like BG 2 would go a long way with their most loyal customers, and it costs them nothing! It's a win/win...bump Pearl (and Platinum would be nice too) to before the resort busses, not after as they had been doing. Seems simple and logical to me! ;) But of course we do not know if this is what is happening as DCL has not commented about it, or at least I have not heard anything. We didn't even get an email or any notification about the change to our PAT/BG.

My family and I are on the Aug 19th sailing as well....Group 2...See you going through the ears my friend.

My family and I are on the Aug 19th sailing as well....Group 2...See you going through the ears my friend.

Woohoo!!! I think this latest development has added to my excitement for this trip. See you then!

Did our online check in today for this cruise - as lowly silvers I was surprised to get BG 11. It’s getting close now!!

Here’s my question - those who are getting BG 6 or higher - are you finding you are standing / sitting around the Terminal, waiting for your number to be called? Is there a noticeable difference in your time in ship or is it more of a removed recognition / reward?

Curious, not condemning. I acknowledge that they have removed something they initiated and we have gotten used to. (I have appreciated it since 2011). What I really like is a dedicated Platinum check-in counter - I have often been processed at the Concierge desk, giving the Cast Member something to do.

I cannot remember sitting in any terminal after check-in since the restart.

I had BG 10 or 11 in Miami when we were still doing testing at the port. We tested, Waited for results (in chairs) checked in (very minimal line), walked over to the Boarding Line to hear our # called as we got there. Then it was walking to the ship.

I don’t remember even seeing a sitting/waiting area in San Juan this May. Now the line outside - that was an error in organization (while the cool, extremely large area set up with stanchions/queue space and lots of available and waiting Check-in stations was empty).

Did our online check in today for this cruise - as lowly silvers I was surprised to get BG 11. It’s getting close now!!
Woohoo!!!

Here’s my question - those who are getting BG 6 or higher - are you finding you are standing / sitting around the Terminal, waiting for your number to be called? Is there a noticeable difference in your time in ship or is it more of a removed recognition / reward?

Curious, not condemning. I acknowledge that they have removed something they initiated and we have gotten used to. (I have appreciated it since 2011). What I really like is a dedicated Platinum check-in counter - I have often been processed at the Concierge desk, giving the Cast Member something to do.

I cannot remember sitting in any terminal after check-in since the restart.

I had BG 10 or 11 in Miami when we were still doing testing at the port. We tested, Waited for results (in chairs) checked in (very minimal line), walked over to the Boarding Line to hear our # called as we got there. Then it was walking to the ship.

I don’t remember even seeing a sitting/waiting area in San Juan this May. Now the line outside - that was an error in organization (while the cool, extremely large area set up with stanchions/queue space and lots of available and waiting Check-in stations was empty).
We have done 2 Dream sailings since Covid, where the ship was still at reduced capacity. We had 3, and I think 4 for those and there wasn't much waiting. It didn't really affect our experience.

We also sailed on a full Wish this past February, with BG 5. That one affected my experience. Its not about recognition, the extra 1/2 hour on the ship, or anything like that for me. What I have enjoyed since 2012, is being one of the first ones on the ship, and as we call it, "rope dropping" Cabanas. We have our pick of seats, no lines for soda, no crowds, and of course, no lines for food...even if we go back for seconds its still fairly slow. My DS's claim to fame is he has been the first one through the line at Cabanas. ;) With our carry ons with us, having plenty of space makes it easy too. It's a nice relaxing start to the cruise and would really set the tone. On this recent Wish Cruise we did not get that experience. We stood there in the terminal as hundreds of guests filed on in front of us...group 2.....group 3....etc... By the time we got to Marceline Market it was packed, we could only get 2 seats up at one of the counter tops, not a table, barely had space for our bags, etc... We experienced the chaos that I always hear people talk about when discussing embarkation day. ;)

Honestly, if we never had BG 1 I may not even care so much, as I wouldn't know what I was missing, but after 11 years of getting BG 1,and fully enjoying what went along with it, it did make a big difference to us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter