Pearl tier begins May 1, 2023

How could someone "only" be able to take longer cruises? If you have time for a 7-night cruise, you have time for a 3 or 4 night cruise. I have to fly in to cruise, but have done some 3 and 4 night cruises because as a teacher that is all I had time for or could afford at the time.

As a teacher, I also can only cruise the short weekend cruises or else longer cruises during the holidays, which are extremely expensive. Maybe holiday cruises should get double credit, since they cost twice as much? Maybe concierge cruises should, since they also cost a lot more? Also, shorter cruises typically cost more per night than longer cruises.

The point is, there is no method that is truly fair besides dollars spent per passenger, and people don't want that because it's too much like an airline, too impersonal and blunt. So DCL does number of cruises. It's no more or less fair than days at sea. Days at sea would favor those who have the vacation time available to take longer cruises. There is no option that doesn't "unfairly" favor one group, unless DCL simply did dollars spent per passenger.

The truth is that Disney makes more money per day, on average, on shorter cruises too. Even though it would favor me to have them do it by day, I can see why Disney doesn't. They want to encourage people to take those shorter cruises, and their loyalty benefits hardly cost them anything since they don't really offer much besides doing things earlier.

How could someone "only" be able to take longer cruises? If you have time for a 7-night cruise, you have time for a 3 or 4 night cruise. I have to fly in to cruise, but have done some 3 and 4 night cruises because as a teacher that is all I had time for at that time of year.

As a teacher, I can only cruise the short weekend cruises or else longer cruises during the holidays, which are extremely expensive. Maybe holiday cruises should get double credit, since they cost twice as much? Maybe concierge cruises should, since they also cost a lot more? Also, shorter cruises typically cost more per night than longer cruises.

The point is, there is no method that is truly fair besides dollars spent per passenger, and people don't want that because it's too much like an airline, too impersonal and blunt. So DCL does number of cruises. It's no more or less fair than days at sea. Days at sea would favor those who have the vacation time available to take longer cruises. There is no option that doesn't "unfairly" favor one group, unless DCL simply did dollars spent per passenger, which would be even more unpopular.
I guess the term able may not be the right word. I have talked to many people who said it does not make sense to fly in from far away for a shorter cruise of 3 or 4 days.
They did not do the parks or other things in the area so a 7 day cruise made the most sense to them.

It could also be folks who live in areas that haven't had many options for shorter cruises such as Europe or the west coast. We only get a ship seasonally, and the vast majority are longer sailings when they come.

The truth is that Disney makes more money per day, on average, on shorter cruises too. Even though it would favor me to have them do it by day, I can see why Disney doesn't. They want to encourage people to take those shorter cruises, and their loyalty benefits hardly cost them anything since they don't really offer much besides doing things earlier.
I think their original thinking was that people would on average be able to take one week of vacation at a time.

With that thinking Disney did the Land and Sea packages in the beginning to attract guest to the park for part of that week. Either 3 days at a park and 4 days at sea or 4 days at a park and 3 days at sea. Now I do not think they have to rely on this thinking as much.

Either way I think the Cast Away Club got a little out of control as to how fast guest became Platinum doing shorter cruises.
It is apparent on the forums how people talk about not being able to book activity's, get better cabins during peak season, get cabanas on Cast Away Cay, book Palo for brunch and other things stating that Platinum books everything up first because there are so many of them.

I am sure Disney did a lot of research on what was going to be best for them before they made the change.

It could also be folks who live in areas that haven't had many options for shorter cruises such as Europe or the west coast. We only get a ship seasonally, and the vast majority are longer sailings when they come.
That has changed over the last year with the wonder in San Diego. I’m not sure what they planned for the west coast going forward. I hope the keep a ship on the west coast.

Either way I think the Cast Away Club got a little out of control as to how fast guest became Platinum doing shorter cruises.
It is apparent on the forums how people talk about not being able to book activity's, get better cabins during peak season, get cabanas on Cast Away Cay, book Palo for brunch and other things stating that Platinum books everything up first because there are so many of them.
I'm not sure how much Disney cares about that problem since they're increasing the number of concierge guests on the ships.

I don't think there will really be any new and exciting benefits, although I hope I am wrong. It would be nice if they expanded the in-room gift options (prosecco, fruit, or chocolates currently). I do like the earlier booking times because the Platinum level has so many people now.

With so many Wish concierge rooms, it is difficult to get adult dining reservations at times, even at Platinum, with so much competition. Hopefully, Pearl status will help a little bit on there and on the Treasure.

Regardless, I still want to achieve Pearl, like many others, so DCL will accomplish what they are trying to do. More sailings booked by those of us wanting to climb up the ladder. I booked 4 cruises in the next few months - a B2B2B and added a short cruise from San Diego since I live here, and it had a great military discount. I am a sucker, but I can't beat some of the military discounts they offer and I love being at sea. Win-win.
Hi
about the either sparkling Prosecco , chocolate ..or fruit
never received or was offered it 2 weeks ago I wonder if it’s still offered

Hi
If your stateroom host forgets, then you can ask him/her or call guest services to place your order. They don't know which gift you want.

Hi
Yes. It is still being offered. I have sailed 3 times on 3 different ships since October, one a few weeks ago. On one, I received a piece of paper in my statement as a reminder. One, I received a notecard on my fish outside the door, and on the third, I completely forgot and was not reminded at all. Both the letter and notecard said to call room service and let them know my choice.

Yes. It is still being offered. I have sailed 3 times on 3 different ships since October, one a few weeks ago. On one, I received a piece of paper in my statement as a reminder. One, I received a notecard on my fish outside the door, and on the third, I completely forgot and was not reminded at all. Both the letter and notecard said to call room service and let them know my choice.
And still sparkling wine ..chocolate or fruit right ? Thanks

Hi
Same. I didn't even know about it. Now I know to ask, but sheesh.

They will usually bring something to your room if you forget. I didn't get anything on the Wish and I didn't call to ask.

This announcement is counterproductive. They’re basically telling everyone who will qualify for Pearl status don’t book anything until May 1 to get new benefits.

Love DCL but they really suck at managing their loyalty program.

And still sparkling wine ..chocolate or fruit right ? Thanks
Yes. Prosecco, chocolate truffles, or the fruit basket as of a few weeks ago. I always choose the chocolate.

Last edited:
Yes. Prosecco, chocolate truffles, or the fruit basket as of a few weeks ago. I always choose the chocolate.
I know I forgot about it the last cruise. Like I said I forget about it a lot of cruises and then something just shows up in my room. Usually the chocolates. None of it is anything I care about at this point. If they start offering me a bottle of red wine I won't forget.

I know I forgot about it the last cruise. Like I said I forget about it a lot of cruises and then something just shows up in my room. Usually the chocolates. None of it is anything I care about at this point. If they start offering me a bottle of red wine I won't forget.
I was responding to another post, not yours. Sorry, part of your post showed up in my response. As I said, glad you had someone drop one of the three off when you forgot. Just don't want people to assume that will happen because sometimes it doesn't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter