Peloton, echelon, etc

I use a Schwinn IC4 with the Peloton App. The Schwinn has Bluetooth so I can see my cadence on the screen. Resistance is not 1-1 with the Peloton resistance but it's good enough for me.

This is what pushed me to get a bike with iFit over Peloton. I find the scenic rides on iFit to have much more variety and to have significantly better quality in regards to the actual workout compared to the Peloton. Also love being able to design my own route. I've designed a few custom routes through WDW. You don't get the video like the normal rides, but it pulls in pics from google street view and changes pictures every 5 seconds or so, so you can ride through and between the parks.
Oh I didnt know you could do that! Will have to look into that. I admit when looking at workouts for my list I checked to see if any were in WDW! LOL.

I also use a Nordictrack with the iFit program. The scenic rides are great plus the series rides (studio or outdoor) are a great way to see your improvement. You can also adjust the screen to face away from the bike to do the other workouts included on iFit which vary from strength training to yoga and so on. They also do monthly challenges and when you complete each one they send you a magnet. It's oddly motivating- I love me some free magnets! You can find cards for ifit subscriptions for a fraction of the cost on ebay which is what I did after my free year was up. The individual plan comes out a lot cheaper than the family one regardless. I highly recommend it! I used to hate exercise until I got my bike.

Really in terms of comparing the actual bikes it's pretty similar. You're better off researching which program you'd enjoy more. Like others said, they're more enjoyable when the bike adjusts your resistance and incline automatically. I don't know about Peleton but on my bike the tablet can't have another app on it without causing some major buffering issues so it's only iFit for me because of that.

I got the Echelon bike for Christmas - really enjoying it. Not using it as much now that the weather is nice and we walk every day. Yes - the delivery fee is 250.00 and my bike was around 1600.00. So not cheap. No issues with connecting to my iPad.

I bought a "poor-leton" in February. I have a Sunny bike that has the same type of flywheel and resistance as the Peloton bike. It was 1/3 the price of the Peloton, so I wanted to make sure I was going to stick with it before committing to the actual Peloton bike.

I use the app on my phone, the web browser, and the firestick app to do workouts. My bike has an onboard computer, so it shows my cadence, though I know there are cadence monitors you can add on to a bike that doesn't have that built in. I use my apple watch paired to the peloton app to track my heartrate within the app.

I know many people like the leaderboard. For me personally, I care more about calories burned than my total output, which I can track using my current set up. I also have a credit card (Chase Sapphire Reserve) that covers the $13 app cost per month, so I basically use it for free. That same credit card is also offering 10x points for any money spent with Peloton, so if I am going to buy the real thing, I plan to do it at the end of 2021 before that promotion expires as that will be enough points for a round trip flight.

I can play the workouts on our big TV using the firestick app, but then I can't sync with my watch, but when I do that, I will just track a cycle workout on the watch itself rather than through the peloton app. I really enjoy turning the lights off, turning on my disco ball, and sweating to an awesome soundtrack.

Oh I didnt know you could do that! Will have to look into that. I admit when looking at workouts for my list I checked to see if any were in WDW! LOL.

There are a number of scenic walk/run/rides through Disney parks/resorts on youtube. Sometimes I'll put one on the TV and just ride my non-peloton spin bike.

Love my Peloton! Can’t imagine having anything else and love the auto resistance on the Bike+. Instructors are awesome, huge variety of types of rides, and I have gotten into the strength, stretching, and yoga workouts too. And this is coming from someone who hadn’t worked out in forever and didn’t want to!

FYI if you are into the scenic rides Peloton has done an upgrade recently on their bike to those rides and they have more features and the pace changes when you do.

I bought a "poor-leton" in February. I have a Sunny bike that has the same type of flywheel and resistance as the Peloton bike. It was 1/3 the price of the Peloton, so I wanted to make sure I was going to stick with it before committing to the actual Peloton bike.

I use the app on my phone, the web browser, and the firestick app to do workouts. My bike has an onboard computer, so it shows my cadence, though I know there are cadence monitors you can add on to a bike that doesn't have that built in. I use my apple watch paired to the peloton app to track my heartrate within the app.

I know many people like the leaderboard. For me personally, I care more about calories burned than my total output, which I can track using my current set up. I also have a credit card (Chase Sapphire Reserve) that covers the $13 app cost per month, so I basically use it for free. That same credit card is also offering 10x points for any money spent with Peloton, so if I am going to buy the real thing, I plan to do it at the end of 2021 before that promotion expires as that will be enough points for a round trip flight.

I can play the workouts on our big TV using the firestick app, but then I can't sync with my watch, but when I do that, I will just track a cycle workout on the watch itself rather than through the peloton app. I really enjoy turning the lights off, turning on my disco ball, and sweating to an awesome soundtrack.
Which Sunny bike do you have? I've watched soooo many videos on you tube with comparisons, and am leaning toward getting a Sunny.

Well I’ve done my research, watched countless reviews and have come to my conclusion of the best option for me - and that’s going with the standard Peloton bike (as opposed to the Bike+).
My husband and I will both be using it and I’m very excited to get started. I ordered today and delivery is Tuesday morning - so very fast nowadays! Thanks for all the advice!

Which Sunny bike do you have? I've watched soooo many videos on you tube with comparisons, and am leaning toward getting a Sunny.

I have the 1851. I like the built in cadence monitor, but the calorie burn estimate is WAY off. As in, it tries to tell me I'm burning double the calories that I actually am. At the price point (it's often on sale for ~$650 and the website will offer you an additional 10% off), I'm very happy with it. I may still get an actual Peloton at some point, but I know I will be out less money this way if I decide to resell the Sunny.

It is awesome! You create a custom route then just draw the route on the map. You can do it for anywhere!

I'm so glad I chose a bike with iFit, it really is far better than any other program I've used.

Something doesn't seem right here. There is no delivery fee and you're given a delivery date with a 2 hour delivery window at the time of purchase. I've never had anything but an immediate response every time I have reached out to Peloton.

Maybe it changed. This was months ago. I know they were going to place it in the foyer and set it up, which wasn’t an optional service, maybe it was a setup fee? At the time they were not even allowing the delivery people to put it the room or desired floor. Right over the threshold was the only option. Again this was months ago. They’ve even released an updated bike since then.

The point of my post wasn’t really about whatever their delivery fee was months ago. The point was that we spent 2k on a bike that never showed up and Peloton thought we’d be cool with them not giving us any estimate for when our lost bike would be replaced, then the guy (we had to call) didn’t even apologize. Not a company that I’d want to be in a long term relationship with. Everyone else can do their due diligence and make their own buying choices.

Do you need special shoes for the peloton?
I’m not sure if anyone ever answered your question, but yes, you do need special shoes. Some packages for buying a Peloton include them, but you can also buy any cycling shoe you want that is compatible with LOOK Delta cleats (often the shoes and cleats are sold separately as well). These items are readily available on Amazon or most bike stores carry them. Other kinds of bikes may have a different cleat called SPD cleats, so make sure to confirm what you need for a specific bike. I actually have two pairs of shoes with each kind of cleat on them. Different bikes require different cleats which is annoying. The SPD cleats are nicer because they are smaller and you can usually walk normally in shoes that have them attached. The LOOK delta are big and annoying.

I’m not sure if anyone ever answered your question, but yes, you do need special shoes. Some packages for buying a Peloton include them, but you can also buy any cycling shoe you want that is compatible with LOOK Delta cleats (often the shoes and cleats are sold separately as well). These items are readily available on Amazon or most bike stores carry them. Other kinds of bikes may have a different cleat called SPD cleats, so make sure to confirm what you need for a specific bike. I actually have two pairs of shoes with each kind of cleat on them. Different bikes require different cleats which is annoying. The SPD cleats are nicer because they are smaller and you can usually walk normally in shoes that have them attached. The LOOK delta are big and annoying.
You can wear regular athletic shoes, I have before. But it's definitely not optimal. Another reason I was glad the one I chose came with toe cages, so I don't have to worry about buying or wearing special shoes.

It is better to use them as a set because the experience is better. Sometimes you just need to pay a little more to be able to feel all the pros of a device.
I only have some peloton dumbbells, but I plan to buy the Peloton spin bike. I have no time to visit a gym and think it is a nice substitution for one. It’s always better to be able to exercise at home rather than not exercise at all due to a lack of time or energy.
If I pay some money for this piece of equipment, I will have more motivation to do sports than if I use something free.

Last edited:
My husband wore regular shoes for about six months without any cages. He’s not the type of guy who would buy himself special bike shoes so I got him a pair for Christmas. Without shoes, it’s hard to increase speed and come OOS, but it can be done.

If anyone needs a follow up, I’m the OP and we’ve now had the Peloton for a year and it is one of the best purchases we’ve made. My husband and I both use it and we love it.
Yep it’s great. Only had my bike plus for a little over three months. Put about 800 miles on it a month. Was a app user for a month and a half before that with the Schwinn ic4. Peloton is a lot better of course it costs more so it should be. Still have the Schwinn ic4 only time it gets used is when my wife and I both exercise at the same time.

In sad news the reason Leanne Disney class got cancelled for this Sunday is that her friend was going to get married this pass weekend. On the morning of her wedding she died. So very sad what was suppose to be the best day of her life she died.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter